New home for much loved doggy

Advice needed for a much loved 12 year old dog who's owner has been given a few months to live! Very sad :sad:

I live across the road and am happy to have the dog but my friend has been told it wouldn't be fair to keep the dog in its usual surroundings.

There is someone else who would be happy to have the dog who lives far away.

What do you forummers think, near or far

P.S. They would be equally good homes and all we want to do is makes sure Max is happy

That's so sad. Well done you for helping. I'm sure the owner will be relieved knowing that their beloved dog will be cared for after they've gone.

Personally, I think it'd probably be better for the dog to be in familiar surroundings. He's already going to be confused by the fact he now has a new owner after all this time. But at least hell have familiar sights, smells and faces around him.

Thanks for that angel22. He already knows me and I have looked after him at my house for a few hours. He has settled down nicely but has soon been going to the door as if to say "can I go home now" All we want is for Max to be happy and his owner to know what is going to happen to him after she has gone :( Max has been her constant companion for 12 years

We have promised her a few things i.e. He will not be put in kennels for holidays etc. he's never been in kennels and she says it would kill him.

I could go on but that is the gist of the story

But once he realised he wasn't going 'home', he'll stop doing that.

I think it'd be best for him to stay with someone he knows. :)

I agree. Good luck with him xx

I agree he should stay with you.such a sad story :( but good on you for helping!

Another vote for him staying with you......familiar faces and places will be best for him

I have had several of my older customers pass away leaving their pets , One i rehomed after her owner had passed away wasn't local , but Sally was next door to where she used to live and she soon settled in and really loved being there , she did take a little time to settle but to be honest , settling away form her area would be strange to , my advice is to try first and see

:)

Advice needed for a much loved 12 year old dog who's owner has been given a few months to live! Very sad :sad:

I live across the road and am happy to have the dog but my friend has been told it wouldn't be fair to keep the dog in its usual surroundings.

There is someone else who would be happy to have the dog who lives far away.

What do you forummers think, near or far

P.S. They would be equally good homes and all we want to do is makes sure Max is happy

Nice one for caring,and wanting to help both the owner and the dog,how sad.

With the age of the dog they find it harder to adapt than younger dogs.

I feel he will settle better with you,good luck hope it all works out....

I also agree that he/she would settle better with you. Also on the plus side if you rehome her/him before the owner passes away then they could always visit and stay connected.

I also agree he should stay with you - and its wonderful for him and the owner to know that he's going somewhere that he does know and not to some kennels for stray and lost dogs which is where he would end up if it wasn't for your offer.

Its horrific when we see the oldies in the pound - they are so lost and confused.

He will get used to it with the changes. Dogs are clever and its all down to association - make him associate walking past the house as something nice, with nice treats (really goody ones) and I'm sure he will adapt too. I don't believe that dogs have memories as such - just sort of habits and associates that trigger of what happens.

You are a very kind person to offer to help him.

another vote for him staying in familar territory if you want to give him a loving, safe and secure home, (well done you!). I hope you can persuade the family/ owner that it would be in his best interests really as moving completely away could be a lot to deal with.