IP Address (HELP!!)

Hi can anyone please tell me is a "IP Adress " linked to the actual computer or the broadband ie if my internet provider has changed does tat mean my ip address did

hope that makes sense and hope it not too stupid a question thank you

Unless you requested and were granted a static IP address it'll change often.

ISPs assign IP addresses from a pool when you connect your router (not your PC) to the network, known as dynamic IP. Every time you turn off your router or it resets/restarts after a firmware update you'll be assigned a new IP.

Your ISP will have a log of which IP was assigned to which customer at a given time.

Unless you requested and were granted a static IP address it'll change often.

ISPs assign IP addresses from a pool when you connect your router (not your PC) to the network, known as dynamic IP. Every time you turn off your router or it resets/restarts after a firmware update you'll be assigned a new IP.

Your ISP will have a log of which IP was assigned to which customer at a given time.

oh ok thanks i thought it was one ip adress per computer thank you for that

oh ok thanks i thought it was one ip adress per computer thank you for that

It is kind of; each computer/games console/phone on a network will have an IP address. They have to be unique so everything on the network can talk to each other.

The router has two IP addresses; an internal one so it can exist on the home network and an external one, so it can talk to your ISP and the rest of the Internet. Unless you pay for a static address, this external IP address is assigned by the ISP each time the router connects to the Internet.

Your router acts as the bridge between the Internet and your internal network, and the two different sets of IP addresses will never meet in the middle.

Your router is the post office. Your computer equipment all have addresses. The router has two addresses. One to send and receive post to your devices, and one to send your post to the sorting office ;-)