I want to lose weight

Regarding exercise, if you can find an activity that you enjoy and ideally that you do with friends, then it's easier to keep doing it. Running alone takes a reasonable amount of dedication and willpower, doing something with a team or friends is easier.

Could you cycle or walk to work? That's like exercise for free as it has a useful purpose as well.

Off the top of my head, there's a list of easy access activities that you could do with a friend or a group

Racket sports of various kinds (badminton, squash, etc).

Martial arts

Climbing

Swimming

Walking/Running/Jogging (with a partner though)

Cycling

Team sports of various kinds

Exercise classes (all sorts of these, I don't like them, but maybe you would).

Increasing your level of activity has two benefits, it's burning calories, but more importantly, you can't be eating whilst doing it! (And exercise actually suppresses appetite for some time afterwards).

Try Yoga, become vegetarian for few weeks or months, eat stomach full of fruits or salad before you sit for lunch or dinner. Worth a try. In Gym, run and if feasible pair up with somebody and then compete.

I've been overweight since I was 25ish. It got even worse when I had a medical problem causing physical disability so cardio type exercise is a no-no.

Despite the disability I work full time (plus) with a schedule that's a killer. I leave home at 6.30, it's too early to eat as I need to take anti-sickness drugs before that's possible. My meetings are often back to back, at best I had time for a sandwich at the desk, at worse I wouldn't eat until home at 6ish when I'd grab something. That meant we weren't eating dinner til 8.30ish at which point I'd be starving.

I made my mind up I was fed up and joined slimming world (online as classes just aren't do-able with my schedule). In 4 weeks I've lost 1 stone 2 pounds. It does need more planning but I'm never hungry. It really works for me with work and family life, hopefully I'll get a load more shifted over the next 8 months or so to target weight!

I'd recommend it

Good for you Elphi.

I too lost weight with Slimming World.

I put weight on by not being so mobile when I broke my hip four years ago.

I lost two stone over a few months and now stick to Slimming World's ''eating plan''

Ten stone now and I too would recommend SW.

Stick to ''the plan'' Elphi,I wish you well.

I have been overweight all my life.

Joined Weight Watchers, loved the company by started to eat healthy food that I really enjoy with lots of fruit.

Got an allotment and grew lots of fruit and vegetables.

My advice would be find healthy foods and a way of excercising that you really enjoy.

I now weight 21lbs less than I did as a teenager and feel wonderful.

I have been overweight all my life.

Joined Weight Watchers, loved the company by started to eat healthy food that I really enjoy with lots of fruit.

Got an allotment and grew lots of fruit and vegetables.

My advice would be find healthy foods and a way of excercising that you really enjoy.

I now weight 21lbs less than I did as a teenager and feel wonderful.

Well done you!!!!!!!!! Just goes to show that it's possible without daft diets - keep up the good work!

Well done Connor, your living proof with a bit of discipline, what can be achieved...:-)

I have some complex medical conditions that means exercise isn't always an option for me, recently I've been micro managing my diet in order to reduce my body fat using an app called carbs and Cals.

Every day for the past 6 weeks I've stuck to a combination of making over two litres of vegetable soup, which consists of roughly 2 litres of water, onions, carrots, peppers, some green veg like spinch, sweet potatoe, tomatoes, all blitzed down.

The whole thing is done as roughly 400g of onions and 100g of each veg included and some vegetable stock powder sometimes I add in different types of beans after blitzing the soup.

I also snack on apples and oranges throughout the day.

I'm currently waiting for a one to one appointment with a nhs dietitian until then I'll carry on with my own plan.

In last few months I've gone from 15st down to 12st 11Lbs although weight loss wasn't the main objective of the switch in diet it's been fine as the large pan of soup not only tastes good it lasts through out the day and along with some fruit snacking it fills any cravings of hunger which there has been very few of, I aslo have bran flakes for breakfast.

I've been vegetarian for over 15yrs and wasn't considered to be much overweight at 15st my bmi at 15st was 25.4.

Routine has been key to my diet and came about trough reading a diabetes study done by the Newcastle university.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Like most things I've tailored it to my needs, I.e my conditions and circumstances and on average I can consume 1,000-2,000 cals on any given day funny though, I don't feel like I've been on a diet at all as good tasting healthy food consumed seems to be very satisfying around good benefits hopefully when my next tests are done they'll show an improvement health wise for me.

Hi Babyblueeyes.

I am currently on Slimming World and it is fantastic! You can eat as much as you want, whenever you want and it falls off you. Slimming World also has loads of recipes online so you can make all the meals you love without sacrificing on taste. I joined after my friend lost 5 stone in 10 months.

Its £5 per week and I go to the one at the Red Lion in Meersbrook (Chesterfield Road) If you fancy coming along and giving it a try, send me a PM and i'll meet you before hand and take you down. You won't regret it! Check out the website and have a think :) x

The best thing for loosing weight is not thinking about the food

I knw this sounds silly but just thinking make you put it on try to keep yourself busy

You just made me think about supper :-(

FREE -" Why Weight " management program for people of Sheffield. Tell 0114 3211253. Twelve and twenty four weeks professional program for both adults and children. Takes place at Zest Centre, 18 Upperthorpe, Sheffield, S6 3NA , starting Monday 21st September. 12.30- 13.30 pm or 6—7 pm. Please ring for times and day of the children version .was on Thursday 16.30-18.00 pm

Edited by orchid72
More info