Chapel walk/ghost walk

Hecate - there was a fantastic newsagent down there. I bought the first issue of Q magazine from there in 1986. I also bought Rolling Stone and Rhythm (drumming) magazines from there.

They also sold newspapers from around the world.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I remember the shop being large with shelves of magazines around three walls and free-standing racks in the centre. I think it became a GT news towards the end of my time in Sheffield; I can't recall what it was before.

There was the Sidewalk cafe too. Used to go in there with my Nan for tea and toasted teacakes.

Sheffield does need to move with the times. I'm not a "coffee drinker" myself, but I'm sure your coffee shops would only enhance little Amsterdam. Imagine the increased trade at the Crucible and Lyceum because who wouldn't like a coffee, peep show and theatre.

When at the theatre my mind will keep playing back the best memories of the peepshow.

i think the area is crying out for independent, quirky little shops like you'd see in York.

As far as I know, most, if not all, of Chapel Walk is owned by the Methodist Church

I'd like a material shop.

No one seems to sew now.

There is a large material shop at the bottom of London Rd, near Aldi.

the old lady shoe shop on the corner opposite the Crucible,

oops I find myself looking in their windows now........

What complete and utter tosh.

No it isn't I walk down there several days a week and just ignore him (he ignores me as well = he must have got used to me) but to others he is quite aggressive in his manner and often makes snide remarks. I can understand why people wouldn't want to walk past him - I have even seen people cross the road on the street which the crucible is on and then cross back when they have gone past him.