Pub with a monkey

My Dad - been passed away away a few years now, used to love telling me stories of some of the old City Centre pubs he used to frequent when he was 'courting' my mum.

Some of the characters that drank in some of these places and the people that ran them sounded unbelievable sometimes.

One that sticks in my head is a pub that he told me about where the Landlord used to keep a monkey or chimp which sat on the bar?

not sure if he was pulling my leg but if any old timers can remember this - or younger 'uns that have been told the same please put me out of my memory misery

I am assuming this would have been in the early 1950's - they were married in 53, but even after I was born they still went out 'on the town' while me nan baby sat.

Fond memories of my Mum - all dolled up, smelling gorgeous of perfume etc and Dad in his suit - that's how people went out on a Saturday back then

Can remember when I was a youngster (many,many years ago!), the landlord of the Cross Scythes at Totley had a pet monkey. As it grew older, it started causing damage to the furnishings, so he had to get rid of it.

Could this be the one your dad spoke about ?

I am fairly sure this would have been a town centre pub. Dad did have a car but I don't think they went out in the suburbs on a Saturday night. I also seen to recall the landlord dressing the monkey in a suit and waistcoat but then again that may be tricks of the mind - or the old fella pulling my leg.

cant remember a pub that had a monkey but knowkeith littlewood who sells at the top of dixon lane used to go round pubs in town with one you could have your photo took with it for a fee.still got photo of me and wife with it on her shoulder took in wharncliffe arms at firth park

cant remember a pub that had a monkey but knowkeith littlewood who sells at the top of dixon lane used to go round pubs in town with one you could have your photo took with it for a fee.still got photo of me and wife with it on her shoulder took in wharncliffe arms at firth park

Kieth used to take his camera and monkey down the Hole in road .

I have not seen him at his pitch on Dixon Lane lately ?.

Do you know Steve Boot Rabbitter

There is ...or was a pub called Monkey

Baggerwood Road Thurgoland Sheffield S35 7AX

I don't know if that's any help.

I dare say the presence of monkey in the pub was many years ago. I doubt many of the forum members will know the Frog & Parrot on Division St. used to have both of those.

Pub names and the history behing them can in some cases be quite interesting, obviously to learn the history of a pub you have go there. Well that used to be my excuse, even though I never really needed one.

gvowl

no sorry. dont know steve boot

gvowl

no sorry. dont know steve boot

Thanks anyway,old mate of mine who lived on Vernon road I think it was opposite the library

Nags head on Shalesmoor used to have a Parott ont bar .

Edited by cuttsie