The edge climbing wall - closed?

Went to find this the other day but told it was no longer in the vicinity; so, please can you let us know where this is?

What did you go to find?

I think BoyFromSmoke was making a joke, although I'm afraid I didn't get it.

The university bouldering wall is called the Matrix and is at S10 Health, off Northumberland Road.

The oldest climbing wall in Sheffield is the Foundry, in Neepsend.

What did you go to find?

I think BoyFromSmoke was making a joke, although I'm afraid I didn't get it.

The university bouldering wall is called the Matrix and is at S10 Health, off Northumberland Road.

The oldest climbing wall in Sheffield is the Foundry, in Neepsend.

Not at all convinced by that; I used to go to the one on the end wall of the gym at the Poly (now Hallam Uni) on Collegiate Crescent. I've no idea whether either the gym or the climbing wall is still there or not, but it was well before the Foundry was even dreamt of.

Alternate Tuesdays in the late 1970s early 80s, one week The Poly, the next a trip up the motorway to Rothwell Sports Centre Climbing wall.

Evenings were otherwise spent on the gritstone wall on Mushroom Lane, before it was re-pointed and folks started getting all stroppy about it.

That wall trained a whole generation of Sheffield climbers; Happy days.

AFAIK Hallam doesn't have a climbing wall. So the foundry would be the oldest still operating climbing wall.

Also, I think the claim refers to being a climbing centre, not a single wall in a gym, and as a commercial operation.