The edge climbing wall - closed?

A lorry came by at woodseats as I waited for the bus to work, with a bit of climbing wall on the back.

Related to this place maybe?

Could just be one of the mobile walls that exist. But yeah, I guess parts of it could well have been sold.

I don't entirely agree with his analysis.

I had a 6 month bouldering membership at the Edge, and a colleague here had an annual full access membership.

Neither of us renewed them due to neglect in route changing, which the staff told us was down to working on the new venue.

The bouldering wall is quite small, but it was enough for a session, so long as the problems were reset every 6 weeks. When they hadn't been changed in 3 months though I basically stopped going.

I didn't use the rope climbing area much, but given the number of people I see at AW, I can't imagine that they have really taken that much trade. AW is massive, I counted up Monday before last and there were something like 17 people climbing, that's practically empty.

The foundry last night had about the same number, maybe a few more (as I didn't go into the smaller room and count).

I'm surprised that he doesn't think a climbing wall there is viable. I would have thought its location would mean there are a few hundred (more?) active climbers within easy walking distance.

I guess that the Abbeydale Picture house curse strikes again.

I wonder if most people walk to a climbing wall.

If so then AW have made a huge mistake. (Pun partially intended).

I dunno. I would have thought that given the choice between a five minute walk or a 20-25 minute drive they would, as long as the facilities were comparable.

I would imagine that there are a lot more climbers in Sharrow and Netheredge than Brightside.

The latter bit there is a socio economic argument, although climbers don't often seem to be that affluent. But equally they don't often seem to be (from behaviour) members of the underclass.

I don't think a climbing wall survives from attendance by people within easy walking distance.

The car park at climbing works (and all the streets around) are normally full. The bike rack is also quite busy.

AW is definitely not walking distance for many people.

The Foundry would only be walking distance for the city centre really, and until recently the city centre didn't have that much accommodation.

These things make me think that a lot of people don't walk, and if you're driving, then it's not a huge incentive to go to the closest wall, if the others are only ten minutes further.

The closure was sudden and shameful, Phil Robbins knew all of his staff well and relied on them to provide quality instruction at the Edge, in addition to this they were a more friendly helpful bunch than you could ask for.

I don't know how Phil Robbins can show his face, he has not paid any of his staff their wages due...he was already months behind with payments to staff, relying perhaps on his relationships with staff to get away with it.

He has made no effort to provide payment and is now sunning himself on holiday. It's disgraceful he has left people without work, or money I'd be surprised if anyone would want to associate themselves with this guy.

Not forgetting Sheffields oldest climbing wall at the University ;)

Went to find this the other day but told it was no longer in the vicinity; so, please can you let us know where this is?