When is ok to fight back?

Go limp. Let them handle you. Sue later. Simple.

Ive been staying with relatives for a few weeks and over that time I have gone for a few nights out with them. Its been great catching up with family and friends, soaking up the family atmosphere and having lots of fun. This was almost ruined however by an incident involving the local police (i wont say where) and a group of revelers. There was an incident involving a man and a bottle. He had thrown it into a doorway as they wouldn't let him in so the police were called. We were right next door waiting to enter a club so had a clear view of what was happening. The man ran as soon as the police arrived but they didn't go after him. Instead the doorman wrongly identified another man as the bottle thrower. This man had only just arrived and didn't even look like the thrower but the police went for him all the same. When i say went for him i mean literally attacked him, knocki8ng him to the ground. We all shouted at the police they had the wrong man but they just carried on. This poor man was getting a pasting for nothing. All he kept saying was "Ive only just got here, i didn't throw a bottle" but they just pummeled him some more. They used batons and fists to subdue this man who had no chance of defending himself. We even approached the police to tell them they had the wrong man but my brother was pushed in the face and then threatened with arrest.

His only crime was to say "excuse me officer but the man who threw the bottle went over there" and pointed to a street the thrower ran down.

For this he was verbally abused but that's no matter, our concern was it seems that if the police suspect you of something these days then its quite acceptable for them to assault someone (innocent) without asking them a single question then abuse members of the public who try to point out their error. Im sure that as a member of the public you have a right to defend yourself from an unprovoked assault, but what if the one doing the unprovoked assaulting is a police officer?

What would you have done?

If this happened as you described, then report it to the IPCC, and the officers will most likely be charged with assault.

There'll be plenty of witnesses, and maybe even CCTV.

I guess you didn't think to film it on your phone?

---------- Post added 27-05-2014 at 12:52 ----------

I was down town drinking once and was set upon by two officers. I received a broken arm and lost two teeth. Then I was tazered and laid in my own **** whilst handcuffed.

They had the wrong person, believe it or not.

You complained and they were prosecuted for ABH, maybe even GBH?

---------- Post added 27-05-2014 at 12:54 ----------

Thank you everyone for your posts. Even the people who seem intent on ignoring what the thread is actually about. The thread is a question, i shall repeat that question.

When if ever is it acceptable to to physically defend yourself against a police officer?

To reiterate this is not a debate on if what i described in my OP is factually accurate. I accept there are some people who will doubt my word but that's not the issue at all. The incident was merely background information to try to explain my reasons for the question. I feel now it would have been better to just ask the question with no background information but i have learned for next time.

To get you going ill give my opinion and that is that yes, there are some circumstances when you should be able to defend yourself physically against a police officer. Sometimes they can go too far giving the majority good police a bad name. If you are innocent and you are assaulted by a police man or women then it should be treated like any other assault.

:)

You always have the right to defend yourself against assault.

You don't have the right to defend yourself against a lawful arrest.

If this happened as you described, then report it to the IPCC, and the officers will most likely be charged with assault.

There'll be plenty of witnesses, and maybe even CCTV.

I guess you didn't think to film it on your phone?

Yes i did video it on my phone, i mentioned it some posts back. Others did too.

Yes i did video it on my phone, i mentioned it some posts back. Others did too.

So the IPCC will be investigating the assault?

So the IPCC will be investigating the assault?

I couldnt tell you. Ive given my details in case a statement is needed but ive had no contact from anyone as of yet.

You haven't made a complaint to the IPCC then? And provided your video evidence?

You haven't made a complaint to the IPCC then? And provided your video evidence?

No i haven't. Why would i?

Because you felt strongly enough to post about it on the forum...

No i haven't. Why would i?

Why wouldn't you? If you have evidence of police brutality on video you have a moral responsibility to act on it do you not?

Why wouldn't you? If you have evidence of police brutality on video you have a moral responsibility to act on it do you not?

I did act on it. I made sure the man got everything i had. He knows where to contact me should he need to and he has the video from my phone. Im not sure what else i could have done.

---------- Post added 01-06-2014 at 12:02 ----------

Because you felt strongly enough to post about it on the forum...

Yes i did.

Yes you did what?

You asked why you would report it, I answered "Because you felt strongly enough to post it on the forum".

Surely if you feel strongly about it, you'd rather something be done, than some empty discussion?

Yes you did what?

You asked why you would report it, I answered "Because you felt strongly enough to post it on the forum".

Surely if you feel strongly about it, you'd rather something be done, than some empty discussion?

You must have missread the part where i stated i passed on my information and the video from my phone. Im not sure what you mean by empty discussion im afraid.