When is ok to fight back?

Ive been staying with relatives for a few weeks and over that time I have gone for a few nights out with them. Its been great catching up with family and friends, soaking up the family atmosphere and having lots of fun. This was almost ruined however by an incident involving the local police (i wont say where) and a group of revelers. There was an incident involving a man and a bottle. He had thrown it into a doorway as they wouldn't let him in so the police were called. We were right next door waiting to enter a club so had a clear view of what was happening. The man ran as soon as the police arrived but they didn't go after him. Instead the doorman wrongly identified another man as the bottle thrower. This man had only just arrived and didn't even look like the thrower but the police went for him all the same. When i say went for him i mean literally attacked him, knocki8ng him to the ground. We all shouted at the police they had the wrong man but they just carried on. This poor man was getting a pasting for nothing. All he kept saying was "Ive only just got here, i didn't throw a bottle" but they just pummeled him some more. They used batons and fists to subdue this man who had no chance of defending himself. We even approached the police to tell them they had the wrong man but my brother was pushed in the face and then threatened with arrest.

His only crime was to say "excuse me officer but the man who threw the bottle went over there" and pointed to a street the thrower ran down.

For this he was verbally abused but that's no matter, our concern was it seems that if the police suspect you of something these days then its quite acceptable for them to assault someone (innocent) without asking them a single question then abuse members of the public who try to point out their error. Im sure that as a member of the public you have a right to defend yourself from an unprovoked assault, but what if the one doing the unprovoked assaulting is a police officer?

What would you have done?

I find that very hard to belive? police will never go in that heavy handed unless the accused was 'acting tough', First thing police do is ask them to put hand against wall then hand cruff & search him. Never would they pile into him with barton drawn unless he has weapon and fighting back,

i think you are telling the whole story, why come on here to give police a bad name?

If i had made it up to give the police a bad name then surely i would have said where i was and what police force was involved? Thanks for your reply though.

Police kicking off and arresting the wrong person. Nothing new there then.

I find that very hard to belive? police will never go in that heavy handed unless the accused was 'acting tough', First thing police do is ask them to put hand against wall then hand cruff & search him. Never would they pile into him with barton drawn unless he has weapon and fighting back,

i think you are telling the whole story, why come on here to give police a bad name?

I agree with this tbh. The accused must have been acting aggressively towards the police to solicit such a response.

I agree with this tbh. The accused must have been acting aggressively towards the police to solicit such a response.

Not necessarily. I was dragged from my car and wrongly arrested. On realising the mistake i was released, and left to make my way on foot several miles back to my car. I was only nipping to the local shop.

Whilst it may not be common place, it does happen.

No, let me reiterate. They got the wrong man and didnt give him one chance to tell them this. By the time he was on the floor he was rightly very angry and he began cursing the police telling them to let him go. I have to be honest i think i would have done the same.

Additional. I have no problem with the police. I feel they do a good job in the most part and keep us safe in sometimes dangerous circumstances. Its not job i feel i could do so i take my hat off to them. This is in no way and Anti-Police thread. In fact i will be reporting any blatant anti police posts as that's not the point of this thread.

Thank you :)

Edited by Jew Boy

No, let me reiterate. They got the wrong man and didnt give him one chance to tell them this. By the time he was on the floor he was rightly very angry and he began cursing the police telling them to let him go. I have to be honest i think i would have done the same.

Additional. I have no problem with the police. I feel they do a good job in the most part and keep us safe in sometimes dangerous circumstances. Its not job i feel i could do so i take my hat off to them. This is in no way and Anti-Police thread. In fact i will be reporting any blatant anti police posts as that's not the point of this thread.

Thank you :)

dont dig hole deeper comes to mind, if police car pulls up and shout put hands up and stand against the wall, 95% normal human will do as they are told unless you are stupid and acting tough

dont dig hole deeper comes to mind, if police car pulls up and shout put hands up and stand against the wall, 95% normal human will do as they are told unless you are stupid and acting tough

Thanks for your opinion. Do you have anything else to add?

Thanks for your opinion. Do you have anything else to add?

Stop dreaming up things and think it is real, smoking exotic plants its bad for you and against the law

I don't think that's necessarily true. Unless you're used to being in confrontational situations with the police.

Most normal people who know they haven't done anything wrong would protest and attempt to explain the situation. The police never used to behave towards the public like hooligans after a match. I think some of them have been watching too much TV. Too many police dramas and not enough sense?

Stop dreaming up things and think it is real, smoking exotic plants its bad for you and against the law

It's you again living up to your user name! I see your still on the Stella.