We can send men into space, but cant build..

That's it!!! Most people over complicate things. Keep it simple and make it a winner! . let's team up go 50/50!! LOL

Ok I have done my bit, now you develop a charger for it :hihi:

Hows about putting the thing in a case? lots of them around. Your phone isn't a fashion accessory.

The younger ones don't seem to have any problems dropping theirs; as the phones are permanently attached to their hands.

The next invention will be the hand phone. A Screen so thin, that you can glue it to your hand. Gone are the days of pocket dialing. Accidental dials will be for other reasons :-P

Hows about putting the thing in a case? lots of them around. Your phone isn't a fashion accessory.

The younger ones don't seem to have any problems dropping theirs; as the phones are permanently attached to their hands.

The next invention will be the hand phone. A Screen so thin, that you can glue it to your hand. Gone are the days of pocket dialing. Accidental dials will be for other reasons :-P

You are not far off, it will actually come in the shape of a pico-projector embedded in a watch that will project a touch screen on the back of your hand (although it might be voice controlled, like Google Glass).

ETA about 3 years I'd say.

You are not far off, it will actually come in the shape of a pico-projector embedded in a watch that will project a touch screen on the back of your hand (although it might be voice controlled, like Google Glass).

ETA about 3 years I'd say.

Similar tech has been around awhile as a keyboard. Image

Mobile-compatible LED-based pico projectors as well. Image

For developments in mainstream personal electronics in the next few years, smart fabrics is the more likely avenue.

Edited by L00b

There are number of phones and phone cases that claim to withstand a limited amout of abuse. There's a good case for apple phones can't remember the make, Griffin I think, that some of the guys used in the Middle East. They take can some hammer, water proof to an extent and as was most important back then sand proof.

Land rover have a phone but I'm told its battety life did not used to be good and did not take pictures too well whilst in the case.

Not that anyone ever took any pictures in the middle east of course.

Similar tech's been around awhile as a keyboard. Image

Mobile-compatible LED-based pico projectors as well. Image.

For developments in mainstream personal electronics in the next few years, smart fabrics is the more likely avenue.

Disagree on smart fabrics, I think it will prove too clumsy and too expensive. Philips tried all that years ago in its innovation center and decided against it. (The joy of having a friends' uncle work as product manager at Philips!).

The first trend to hit is that of smart watches, as pico technology is available and already in the miniaturization process (damn that is a hard word to spell!) it is more likely we will see the type of watch I described ;)

Having said that, I bet the buggers can still be destroyed quite easily... First time I killed a mobile was when I went swimming in the lake near home after a sailing trip. That is despite it weighing a tonne and being the size of a wine-fridge!

Disagree on smart fabrics, I think it will prove too clumsy and too expensive. Philips tried all that years ago in its innovation center and decided against it. (The joy of having a friends' uncle work as product manager at Philips!).

The first trend to hit is that of smart watches, as pico technology is available and already in the miniaturization process (damn that is a hard word to spell!) it is more likely we will see the type of watch I described ;)

Having said that, I bet the buggers can still be destroyed quite easily... First time I killed a mobile was when I went swimming in the lake near home after a sailing trip. That is despite it weighing a tonne and being the size of a wine-fridge!

:o

I'm a bit surprised by this post...

... you're not usually known to exaggerate... ;)

:o

I'm a bit surprised by this post...

... you're not usually known to exaggerate... ;)

I know, bizarre right! :hihi:

Many moons ago. I dropped my phone in the toilet. Got it repaired for free. This is back before the rip off insurance they try and sell you.

Smart watches are going nowhere until the battery technology can be improved.

Philips has long done a ton of R&D, and is to be commended for green-lighting and having a commercial go at a lot of 'out there' concepts (e.g. ambilight) still to this day. I have a lot of respect for them that way.

But let's face it, they're not exactly setting global standards in the personal tech sector, are they?

They're very much at the forefront technically, always have been. But, equally, always trailing commercially.

E.g. they could have sawn up the LED pico projector market years ago, and are amongst the most prominent actors in that (still-)niche market with their PicoPix range. But their products are completely outclassed, in terms of performance and features, by party latecomers BenQ and Asus, to this day.

I turned down their in-house headhunter last year. And no, it wasn't because they iz Dutch :D

Smart watches have tanked abysmally for years and years. They most probably will replace the ubiquitous mobile, as a personal communication/exchanging device in years to come, if only due to the form factor/ergonomics. But that's years and years (and years) away. Edited by L00b

Philips has long done a ton of R&D, and is to be commended for green-lighting and having a commercial go at a lot of 'out there' concepts (e.g. ambilight) still to this day. I have a lot of respect for them that way.

But let's face it, they're not exactly setting global standards in the personal tech sector, are they?

They're very much at the forefront technically, always have been. But, equally, always trailing commercially.

E.g. they could have sawn up the LED pico projector market years ago, and are amongst the most prominent actors in that (still-)niche market with their PicoPix range. But their products are completely outclassed, in terms of performance and features, by party latecomers BenQ and Asus, to this day.

I turned down their in-house headhunter last year. And no, it wasn't because they iz Dutch :D

Smart watches have tanked abysmally for years and years. They most probably will replace the ubiquitous mobile, as a personal communication/exchanging device in years to come, if only due to the form factor/ergonomics. But that's years and years (and years) away.

Yes, Philips is poor at monetising its R&D although they are still strong in non consumer sectors, I brought them up because I was stunned when taken on a tour of their Smarthome - this is some ten years ago now and it was a real eye-opener, they already had curved LCD screens (with ambilight) and smart fabric (although it was more like the stuff we now see in eReaders) back then.

Re Smart watches, I am not going to bet against Apple managing to make them into a success and as LG have now confirmed they are developing the screens for the iWatch, I think it will be sooner rather than later that we will see them everywhere.