Honey bee hive removal.

I have a honey bee hive, not sure where yet lol but i see the little stingers coming and going via the eves on my house, the hive is not visible outside so i presume them to be in the loft....what fun :roll:, anyways if any body wants them, please come and help yourself, i am told killing them should be a last resort....they are on borrowed time lol the eviction starts on Monday.

On a serious note though, i dont know if they are relocatable, looking at them they look like honey bees, defo not wasps or hornets, if any body has any sensible advice i would appreciate it, other wise they get the Raid lol.

You should contact your local beekeepers who will often come and remove it for you. There might be a fee and they are only interested in accessible honey bees

http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/swarm-of-bees-in-your-garden-or-house/

http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/contact-us/

If not you can contact the council

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pest-control/domestic.html

If they are honey bees then it would be a great shame if you killed them as they are vital to the environment and they are in decline.

Edited by 999tigger

You must under no circumstances hurt these bees, the isn't enough of them as the is, they will not harm you if they are bees

Killing them would be a very wasteful thing to do. They are doing you no harm what so ever, we should be encouraging them not looking to kill them

I'm pretty sure they are protected by law?

The bee is dying out and needs help. They do a vital job for free.

exactly so someone wanting to get rid of them and do them harm needs to have a reality check

the reality check is that they can produce 40-60 lbs of honey, this is quite a weight to have hanging up in the loft, then there is the defense of the hive to contend with everytime i need to enter the loft, remembering that the hive could when it reaches its max occupancy contain up to 35.000 bees....sorry but i think these two reasons alone are enough for me not to want them inside the house, if when i locate the hive (not had the bottle to look yet lol) it is small enough for me to bag and remove then i will save them.

Oh and bees have no legal protection in the UK.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 23:09 ----------

Thankyou for the advice 999tigger, i will have a ring round in the morning :)

I'd just like to say one thing about these bees. They are going extinct for a reason. We should leave them to their demise. If Darwin taught us one thing, it is the notion of survival of the fittest. If bees had anything about them, they would adapt to the environment in which they currently live.

The fertiliser industry shouldn't be restricted in their behaviour, just because bees are failing to adapt to modern bee keeping techniques.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 23:24 ----------

The bee is dying out and needs help. They do a vital job for free.

Failure to monetize a service they provide?

Exactly the reason they deserve to go extinct, LOL.

Failure to monetize a service they provide?

Exactly the reason they deserve to go extinct, LOL.

Lol silly old bees. Lol extinct bees. They will be sorry Lol. well done Clifford you are special.

I'd guess these are not honey bees but more than likely masonry or solitary bees. We get them going under the roof tiles every May. They do not sting.

Look 'em up on Google.

Just tried the beekeepers (several numbers) as it does look like we have honey bees coming in. They didn't give a darn..it's a shame but the bees are getting into the kitchen and I'm very allergic to bees. Trying to find a pest controller on a Sunday isn't easy >_>

I rang sheffield pest control and there coming out tomorrow I have bees flying in to the side of the house. I've had to get rid of 12 today out the house in the space of a couple of hours. They charge £45. As I have a 7month old and a cat it needs to be done as I can't open any windows. They were here last year but not on the same scale. I also read they wouldn't come back but they have.