Replacement window & door recommendations MEGATHREAD. NO JOBS, ADS OR QUOTES

They need replacing like you said might have been a dodgy batch, how long have they been fitted?

As far as I'm aware they've been in about 10-12 years. Looks like I've got no choice but to replace the units, but I don't want to pay for a large company to do it, but if anybody wants to pm me to arrange to quote, feel free!

Hi there my name is Mark from bluestone upvc and we would be happy to provide you with a free no obligation quote. We are a highly motivated family run business offering a first class service. Backed by our Certass registration and insurance backed guarantee.

If we can of any help please call me on 01142874024/ 07720916825

http://www.bluestoneupvc.co.uk

Thanks Mark.

take your sizes down to MPG in hillsborough and save yourself some money by getting somebody in to do if for you, they will only get it form a similar place.

take your sizes down to MPG in hillsborough and save yourself some money by getting somebody in to do if for you, they will only get it form a similar place.

Stupid . Handling glass is not every bodys cup of tea. Big units are extremly dangerous. :loopy::loopy:

Measuring and space between glass 15mm or 22mm is critical.

Edited by spider1

Thanks to Mark at Bluestone I'm sorted now. As people have suggested, the seals have gone on the units and they need replacing.

One interesting thing about all this is regarding a company called Central Glazing. I found some receipts from them for 10 units that were fitted 4 years ago (with a 5 year non-transferable guarantee), which was 18 months before we moved in. Someone in here suggested to me to give them a call as they might have been sympathetic towards my problem, although I didn't know whether any of the units I have problems with were fitted by them. They probably weren't, but knowing that I'd have to pay somebody, I thought I might as well give them a call and discuss it with them.

Anyway, when I called them and explained my problem the lady said that Central Glazing weren't in business any more and that the company she worked for was in fact called C Glazing. C Glazing had taken the premises and the phone number over from Central Glazing. She said that although she answered the phone "Central Glazing, can I help you", Central Glazing had gone!

She couldn't wait to put the phone down, so I never got chance to ask them for a quote, which turned out to be good news for Mark at Bluestone.

All sounds like something you'd see on Watchdog though to me.

My husband and I bought a house last January. My husband wants to replace the windows in order to save energy costs.

Our house was built in 1999, and the windows are original, cheap builder-grade single pane wood frame windows. We have noticeable drafts, plus the screens are broken on many of them, which means we can't leave the windows open for heating/cooling purposes - we have cats, and without screens, they would just jump out the window and get hit by a car or something (and this is not something I am going to risk).

Now my husband can't choose the window. I found there variants, that I liked (second, third and last). What do you think about this? Help to make a choice:confused:

Hi Janez

It wasn't clear which set of windows you were referring to on your link: the group of five windows in the middle of the page or the group of ten windows at the bottom; but either way, if you want to save energy, you don't want a lot of small panes of glass separated by glazing bars.

So the last windows (in the group of 10), which are actually French doors, would be the best option.

I would recommend you look at other houses nearby and see if there are any styles that you like, and that would also fit in with the local architecture. If you have windows that are too out of keeping with the local architecture it may detract from the value of your house.

Basing your selection on something you have seen nearby will also help guarantee that they can be manufactured for a reasonable price. A good joiner can make just about anything, but the windows will be very expensive if there is a lot of labour involve, e.g. the second window in the group of ten.

Good luck

Hi Janez

It wasn't clear which set of windows you were referring to on your link: the group of five windows in the middle of the page or the group of ten windows at the bottom; but either way, if you want to save energy, you don't want a lot of small panes of glass separated by glazing bars.

So the last windows (in the group of 10), which are actually French doors, would be the best option.

I would recommend you look at other houses nearby and see if there are any styles that you like, and that would also fit in with the local architecture. If you have windows that are too out of keeping with the local architecture it may detract from the value of your house.

Basing your selection on something you have seen nearby will also help guarantee that they can be manufactured for a reasonable price. A good joiner can make just about anything, but the windows will be very expensive if there is a lot of labour involve, e.g. the second window in the group of ten.

Good luck

Thanks now it becomes clear

hi i be happy to quote , we are fensa registered and we are insurance back . look foward to hearing you ta jeff

Only old threads found and many firms in them have closed/folded.

Need recommendations for replacing our windows. We are wanting 2 bow windows and 3 maybe 4 others ( depends on the quote if we do these now or later).

Upvc possibly triple glazed as live on a busy road so want to cut the noise if possible. Are the argon filled any better than the others?

plus what is solar active energy saving glass?

We have a quote just need a couple more from FENSA registered fitters.

Many thanks

I wasn't going to recommend these guys anymore becaue they are way too popular now, but it feels mean to withhold the information:

http://www.frameups-windows.co.uk/

We have the solar thingy glas, and it's fab - really keeps the warmth in.