Cycling routes for road bikers

this seems a good route Albot..I went for a cricket match last week in lower Bradfield and I found the Loxley road has been recently resurfaced and excellent for biking...

just want to clarify beore I try this route, do you take Brown House lane after passing the Old Horns Inn, then Penistone rd, turn left to Mortimor rd and come down to Strines Inn before you join A57? sorry not very familiar with these roads as I dont go there very often....

Thats the one! A nicer alternative to the A57 is to turn left before reaching the A57, onto Sugworth Rd, Wet Shaw lane, West Lane, Tinker Bottom, Corker lane, then turn right into Dungworth and follow road into Stannington.

thanks Toby...

the alterative route might be a good option but I would prefer to come via A57 as I can come to Crooks via Crosspool.

If I come via Stannington, it means I will be taking the Rivelin Valley rd and Climbing BoleHill rd would be like conquering the everest for me... -:))

thanks Toby...

the alterative route might be a good option but I would prefer to come via A57 as I can come to Crooks via Crosspool.

If I come via Stannington, it means I will be taking the Rivelin Valley rd and Climbing BoleHill rd would be like conquering the everest for me... -:))

Try this, first right as you enter Stannington (Bankfield Lane) then Church St, School Lane, Oldfield Rd, becomes Hopwood Lane then Bingley Lane, brings you out near the bottom of Manchester Rd. I ride back into Stannington many times, it is a quiet, scenic route, with some great descents.

I went for a two hour bike ride this morning...toook the bit shorter route...set off from home in Crooks, crosspool, Rivelin valley rd, Loxley rd, Low Breadfield, watched the Queens baton relay for sometime at Village Green, Dungworth via Ugghill, cross the Rivelin valley rd and joined the Manchester rd ...returned home via crosspool...really satisfying ride....

weather was perfect for biking....not too warm and not too cold...on my way back stopped at Our Molly cow icecream ...Delicious, really milky and creamy!!!

I might do the bigger route next time ( via the high B'field, Strines...)

I recently got a cyclocross bike and am wanting to do some routes as well.

Last Sunday I jumped on the train to Chesterfield, and cycled to Chatsworth, and then back to Sheffield via Dronfield (rather than taking the A621 all the way). It was really pleasant and ended up around 30 miles, taking around 2.5 hours.

The Stannington route you guys have described sounds fun! I haven't been there - definitely will check it out.

What are the routes like on the East side of Sheffield? I get the feeling the road surfaces are all pretty poor (I've cycled out towards Meadowhall a few times).

Try this, first right as you enter Stannington (Bankfield Lane) then Church St, School Lane, Oldfield Rd, becomes Hopwood Lane then Bingley Lane, brings you out near the bottom of Manchester Rd. I ride back into Stannington many times, it is a quiet, scenic route, with some great descents.

agree Tobby, its a very scenic route indeed....I went for a 32 mile ride on Thursday and really enjyod it...I instead of taking left from Penistone rd, I turned right and went along the Mortimer rd...Its a very hillier road and I was almost lost...turned back and rode towards the Strines...a lesson learnt!

weather permitting, I'll be trying few more routes soon....

pls suggest me if you are happy to share some new routes for me.....

cheers

You might want to download strava onto your IPhone or other similar device.Its free and logs your Gps position elevation and speed each ride .

You can also search local routes that people use ,plan rides etc ,you may all ready have it seeing as you are a runner.

You could also try a few miles with Sheffield rec Cc they meet at Malin Bridge and go out thru Bradfield into the peaks ,avoid The chain gang until your fitness is up to it.

Rather than going along the A57 west out of Sheffield, head up Rails Road and then turn left at the top onto Reynard Lane (I think that that had a few potholes), and then left onto Riggs High Road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3864106,-1.5647945,15z

Cycle to the end and it brings you out at Hollow Meadows. More pleasurable ride than the A57.

I'm working this weekend but next weekend I may see if I can keep going along the A57, turn left over Ladybower past the Yorkshire Bridge Inn and then up New Road which will get me to Ringinglow Road. I've measured this as about 23 miles (which will be a challange for me now). I used to be able to easily do over 100 miles a day as a youth but that was on a proper road bike (rather than a commuting bike) plus I was younger and about six stone lighter.

You might want to download strava onto your IPhone or other similar device.Its free and logs your Gps position elevation and speed each ride .

You can also search local routes that people use ,plan rides etc ,you may all ready have it seeing as you are a runner.

You could also try a few miles with Sheffield rec Cc they meet at Malin Bridge and go out thru Bradfield into the peaks ,avoid The chain gang until your fitness is up to it.

I use mapmyrun app and thats good. Gps lap times audible distance marker calories burnt etc avg pace. They do one for cyclists aswell. Good app.

agree Tobby, its a very scenic route indeed....I went for a 32 mile ride on Thursday and really enjyod it...I instead of taking left from Penistone rd, I turned right and went along the Mortimer rd...Its a very hillier road and I was almost lost...turned back and rode towards the Strines...a lesson learnt!

weather permitting, I'll be trying few more routes soon....

pls suggest me if you are happy to share some new routes for me.....

cheers

You were in effect doing the Tour de France route in reverse. If you had carried on you would have come to a hill known locally as "Deliverance" some sections are 25% uphill, wise move to trun round and head for the Strines.

There are plenty of other nice little roads in th area, and several ways to get from Bradfield up tp the Strines, get a map and and plot your route. half the fun of cycling is exploring new roads. One thing I like about cycling in this area is that you can do a 20+ mie ride, and never be more than a few miles from home.