Leppings Lane roundabout alterations

I agree with the last post. But most of the standing traffic waiting to get into Sainsbury's could be eliminated if the end of the road past the Niagara was reopened and they were allowed to go in there; that would leave both lanes free for straight on traffic which wouldn't take up so much room then. Why they don't do this is beyond me.

I agree with the last post. But most of the standing traffic waiting to get into Sainsbury's could be eliminated if the end of the road past the Niagara was reopened and they were allowed to go in there; that would leave both lanes free for straight on traffic which wouldn't take up so much room then. Why they don't do this is beyond me.

I can't remember what the original plans for the junction said, but it does seem odd that they haven't yet made any structural changes to close off the road, they've just left the large plastic blocks to close it off. It looks as though they might be keeping their options open, once they see how the traffic flows.

If they left it open, they would probably make it one way, which may inconvenience people who live there.

While I'm on here...

I've noticed a change further on Penistone Road. For city bound traffic, there used to be a bus pull in outside the Old Crown pub. Now that they've widened the road there, to allow two lanes on the approach to turn right into Owlerton Green, the bus stop becomes part of the inside lane for Shalesmoor bound traffic. Also, a bus at the stop restricts the view ahead for traffic in this lane, making it harder to see if there is a clear road ahead for overtaking, particularly as it is so close to the traffic lights. It would be better if a new bus pull in were to be created. It would need modifications to the existing cycle path and pavements, but the whole areas there is quite wide, so it could be done.

Of course there might be a very good reason why they didn't do this, but on the face of it I think that the design missed an opportunity here.

I can't remember what the original plans for the junction said, but it does seem odd that they haven't yet made any structural changes to close off the road, they've just left the large plastic blocks to close it off. It looks as though they might be keeping their options open, once they see how the traffic flows.

If they left it open, they would probably make it one way, which may inconvenience people who live there.

And now they can see how the traffic flows, which is not very well, particularly in that direction. I thought that bit of road, which is after all only a few yards long, was always one way anyway before they built Sainsburys.

And now they can see how the traffic flows, which is not very well, particularly in that direction. I thought that bit of road, which is after all only a few yards long, was always one way anyway before they built Sainsburys.

The reason I mentioned the one way aspect is that whereas previously people coming down Halifax road could use the old roundabout to access it as one way, they would no longer be able to, and so if it were one way then they would have a long detour to approach it from the Leppings Lane side.

It has always been one way re-opening this would make little difference as the problem appears to me that the lights aren't in sync. You come through the lights at Leppings Lane then the ones at Sainsbury's go red when vehicles are still coming through the Leppings Lane lights then they get stacked up until they block the junction of Leppings Lane. Easy solution have the lights work in sync. Lights at Leppings Lane change to red then the ones at Sainsbury's should change to red soon after (enough time for vehicles to clear 30secs or so). Then vehicles coming out of Leppings Lane can come out without been blocked off.

Overall, I think you (metalman) are right. In effect, the Niagara route onto Claywheels Lane would be equivalent to a left filter at the Sainsbury Lights, and it can work as it would allow traffic flow in the period where traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane. At present, when traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane, traffic intending to go up Halifax Road has to wait, and in doing so prevents left turning traffic onto Claywheels Lane. They'd need to make Niagara two way, IMO, to allow local traffic in from the Claywheels Lane side, and just make it no exit into Penistone Road (where the bollards currently are)

It has always been one way re-opening this would make little difference as the problem appears to me that the lights aren't in sync. You come through the lights at Leppings Lane then the ones at Sainsbury's go red when vehicles are still coming through the Leppings Lane lights then they get stacked up until they block the junction of Leppings Lane. Easy solution have the lights work in sync. Lights at Leppings Lane change to red then the ones at Sainsbury's should change to red soon after (enough time for vehicles to clear 30secs or so). Then vehicles coming out of Leppings Lane can come out without been blocked off.

The lights aren't in sync that's correct.

But thinking about it - the lights outside Sainsburys heading north have to be on red at some point, and because they allow traffic out of Claywheels Lane as well as onto CL from the south bound side, they are at red for a length of time. If you had them at red when traffic is coming up Penistone Rd from Sheffield that would backlog the traffic. So they are at red when the Leppings Lane lights are green, and TBH although you have to wait if turning left from Leppings Lane up Penistone Rd I don't think it causes much of a problem.

The main problem as has been mentioned earlier is drivers blocking the junction thus holding traffic up when the lights are green.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 09:13 ----------

Overall, I think you (metalman) are right. In effect, the Niagara route onto Claywheels Lane would be equivalent to a left filter at the Sainsbury Lights, and it can work as it would allow traffic flow in the period where traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane.

Personally I don't think it'd make much difference - very little traffic turns left into Claywheels Lane when I'm going past. Even traffic coming down Penistone Rd - very little turns right onto Claywheels.......

Been a while since these changes have been done now and I have to say, if anything it's made Penistone Road worse, especially where the roundabout was. Massive **** up.

But thinking about it - the lights outside Sainsburys heading north have to be on red at some point, and because they allow traffic out of Claywheels Lane as well as onto CL from the south bound side, they are at red for a length of time. If you had them at red when traffic is coming up Penistone Rd from Sheffield that would backlog the traffic. So they are at red when the Leppings Lane lights are green, and TBH although you have to wait if turning left from Leppings Lane up Penistone Rd I don't think it causes much of a problem.

The main problem as has been mentioned earlier is drivers blocking the junction thus holding traffic up when the lights are green.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 09:13 ----------

Personally I don't think it'd make much difference - very little traffic turns left into Claywheels Lane when I'm going past. Even traffic coming down Penistone Rd - very little turns right onto Claywheels.......

I only use the route along the A61 (outbound in the morning, inbound in the evening), so don't know how it effects other people travelling in different directions. But for me, I don't think they are too bad. I do seem to be affected more by the Sainsburys lights in the morning than I am at night. Maybe it is because, when travelling north I have to wait for the lights when traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane, AND also for the period when traffic is turning right from Halifax Road into Claywheels Lane. However, when travelling south, I only have to wait for the period when traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane.

When travelling north, it does seem to be random whether I have to wait at both the Leppings Lane AND the Sainsburys lights, or at one or the other, or (rarely) at neither.

Although it doesn't actually affect me at this junction, I am very anti people who block junctions. I'm strongly in favour of box junctions painted yellow. I know that they are not enforced, but it might just make the inconsiderate junction blockers stop and think what they are doing.

I have to disagree with the last sentence it does cause big problems coming out of Leppings Lane it causes the traffic to back right up Leppings lane towards the football ground which if you want to go through the lights towards Herries Rd your just sat there you carn't even go down the side streets onto Penistone Rd as there is a No Right turn as you could with a roundabout there.

I have to disagree with the last sentence it does cause big problems coming out of Leppings Lane it causes the traffic to back right up Leppings lane towards the football ground which if you want to go through the lights towards Herries Rd your just sat there you carn't even go down the side streets onto Penistone Rd as there is a No Right turn as you could with a roundabout there.

Sorry I don't agree. Yes sometimes traffic is backed up all the way up Leppings Lane but in my experience most of the time it's not caused by traffic turning left to go up Penistone Road. Far more traffic goes straight on at that junction and up Herries Rd

Overall, I think you (metalman) are right. In effect, the Niagara route onto Claywheels Lane would be equivalent to a left filter at the Sainsbury Lights, and it can work as it would allow traffic flow in the period where traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane. At present, when traffic is emerging from Claywheels Lane, traffic intending to go up Halifax Road has to wait, and in doing so prevents left turning traffic onto Claywheels Lane. They'd need to make Niagara two way, IMO, to allow local traffic in from the Claywheels Lane side, and just make it no exit into Penistone Road (where the bollards currently are)

There's no reason why it couldn't be two way. Traffic wanting to access that bit after coming down the hill could turn right as if going into Sainsbury's and then turn immediately left. But their problem would then be that they'd be facing the wrong way with no way of turning round to get out again if you blocked off the exit onto Penistone Road, so in my view you'd have to leave that open as well. Don't see why it couldn't be done as I can't see there'd be a large number of vehicles using it as an exit (and there'd be no point anybody who didn't live there using it as one).