Leppings Lane roundabout alterations

I live near Wisewood and work at ecclesfield.

I'll be going via Jawbone Hill for the foreseeable future - absolute chaos down there

Why would you consider going any other way than Jawbone Hill?

I used to live at Chapeltown but worked at Fulwood, I never considered going through Hillsborough and always took the Outibridge(spelling?) Worrall, Hag hill route, 20 minutes tops. Yeah it's a longer route but you're moving and not stood in traffic.

Council needs a new road to take the ridiculous strain off Penistone Road.

The new road is partly there already:

New bridge over R Don from Middlewood Rd onto Beeley Wood Road -> Claywheels Lane -> Herries Road North -> (short new stretch behind Bassetts) -> Club Mill Road - Neepsend Lane -> links up to inner ring road and on to the Parkway.

This new upgraded road would pass through Penistone Road at the Claywheels Lane-Leppings Lane stretch so maybe a flyover will solve the resulting congestion.

When the new supermarket opens, it's going to be a no-go road.

I too have this utopian dream, shame we have to wake up to Sheffield reality.

I agree the road works currently are a nightmare,

As for a building creating more traffic, just because they open a new supermarket doesn't mean more people will suddenly appear, there will be the same amount of cars on the road and customers in the supermarkets, they'll just be spread more thinly.

The above statement doesn't make sense so what your saying is the new supermarket won't increase the volume of traffic etc?? Of course it will massively.

So when the Asda at parson cross opened it didn't increase the traffic around that area? Errr yes it has

That's like saying when there's a match on there's no increase of traffic.

There was nothing wrong with the roundabout. It's an absolute disaster.

I set off to work early in the morning to avoid the rush hour traffic, but this morning for the first time I got held up in traffic due to the new set of temporary traffic lights on the old Leppings Lane roundabout.

If there was a build-up of traffic there at 7:15, I dread to think what it will be like between 8am and 9am.

Hopefully it's due to the ongoing works and when the new permanent lights are in place things will flow much smoother, but if it is a sign of things to come, there are going to be an awful lot of angry people.

I think we need to wait and see what the final outcome is like before going off on one, but in the meantime, I think I might be travelling down the back routes to avoid the A61.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 16-09-2014 at 07:59 ----------

I think the only problem with that is if enough people start using the back routes, they then become as congested as the main route they're hoping to avoid.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that traffic seems much heavier heading up Rutland Road, I'm guessing that is partly down to people trying to avoid the A61.

Regards

Doom

Re bib.

I agree. I normally pass the end of Leppings Lane at around 7:15 in the morning (travelling North on the A61), and around 4:45 in the afternoon, travelling back.

It was a shock how bad it was yesterday morning (I haven't been passed today). I don't know how much of the delay is due to the roadworks and how much is actually due to the lights, but I hope they can do some temporary tweaking to make it better now, until we get the final system and will be able to judge.

Generally, I'm fairly pro traffic lights at busy junctions, as some drivers are terrible on roundabouts (even when there are yellow box junctions or "keep clear" markings), but we'll just have to wait and see whether it works here.

I didn't notice when I came through yesterday. How do drivers coming down Halifax Rd get on to Claywheels Lane now that the roundabout has gone? Ultimately there will be a right turn, IIRC, but it's not there now, is it?

A little Devil's advocate, just so the questions have been asked!

Was the previous roundabout really fine? Or did that also cause problems? Is this an attempt at something different in order to try and solve a problem?

Were locals and/or users of this junction asked about problems with it? Did people suggest changing it to a normal crossing?

Did people make complaints about potential traffic increases known when the Sainburys planning application was being considered?

I too have this utopian dream, shame we have to wake up to Sheffield reality.

Well, welcome to the reality of the whole of the UK. Roads are expensive, and politically out-of-favour. Do you think Sheffield could secure funding for a brand new carriageway? And what about the businesses etc. would be built over? This isn't China - there are lengthy and costly battles that have to be done to obtain land..

A little Devil's advocate, just so the questions have been asked!

Was the previous roundabout really fine? Or did that also cause problems? Is this an attempt at something different in order to try and solve a problem?

The previous roundabout was far from fine. Nightmare if you were approaching in the evening from Herries Rd and not the best if approaching along Penistone Rd.

Obviously the temporary lights in place now won't run as good as the permanent ones that'll be installed once the work is finished, also the fact it's a single carriageway past Carphone warehouse / Sainsburys doesn't help as that's creating a bottleneck very close to the roundabout.

---------- Post added 16-09-2014 at 14:50 ----------

Do you think Sheffield could secure funding for a brand new carriageway?

In an ideal world it needs an underpass for vehicles travelling along Penistone Rd and continuing on - but obviously that'd cost £m's

I live near Wisewood and work at ecclesfield.

I'll be going via Jawbone Hill for the foreseeable future - absolute chaos down there

You will find you will have to wait to cross the bridge in Oughtibridge to get over to Jawbone as the workmen are strengthening the bridge and it also has traffic lights.

You may not have to wait as long as you do at Leppings Lane junction but there are still hold ups in a morning and in the evening. This work has been going on since before the Tour de France [ they had to postpone it until after ] and it will carry on until November.

There seem to be road works where ever you go in Sheffield, do you think we will miss them when/ if they finally get completed?

The previous roundabout was far from fine. Nightmare if you were approaching in the evening from Herries Rd and not the best if approaching along Penistone Rd

The roundabout was completely fine for approx 20hrs out of 24.

The Idea of a roundabout is to keep traffic flowing as much as possible yes at peak times you will have a few delays but once you put lights up there will be delays at ALL times even when there's very little traffic eg after peak hours or through the night,So let's stop traffic with lights whilst a roundabout keeps traffic flowing the majority of the time makes great sense doesn't it:loopy:

It took me 25 minutes from Bamforth Street to Parkside Road at 3:25 today with all the traffic queuing up Penistone Road, normally would have been there in about 10

Glad I've started this, what I can't understand, is if they are going to come up with some fancy linked up computer controlled traffic light system, to replace the roundabout, why don't they leave the coned roundabout, in place until they instal this (as this was working better than Billy Smarts (circus) traffic light system)

Latest update things have improved for the worst! Think maybe many sheffield forum readers have gone to take a look or word has spread somehow and all the Sheffield people w ho love sitting in traffic turned up tonight!

Took me twenty minutes from lidi to other side of "old roundabout"

The worst bit was just failing to clear the lights, I sat there watching the world go by( and some cars) as I waited In The near distance I could see a deserted Penistone rd the traffic lights outside the Wednesday ground shining bright green calling me on but alas, no! I sat waiting dreaming remembering, romatising, when there was a time when yes we moved along towards Hillsborough,yes maybe not at great speed but... we moved, was that a tear rolling down my face, oh roundabout ,roundabout,......... :hihi: think I am going :loopy:

It will get worse before it gets better sadly.

The whole of that corridor out of town is now a nightmare, no matter what mode of transport you use, what an absolute joke.

We had some visitors at work recently in Hillsborough and they were nearly 45 minutes late with brilliantly thought out temporary traffic flow plan.