Leppings Lane roundabout alterations

I travel northbound on the A61 every morning, around 7:15, and southbound in the evening, around 4:30. I never approach from any of the other directions, so don't know how they are affected, but I'd say, for me, it is usually about the same in the morning - sometimes a little slower if both sets of lights (Leppings Lane and Sainsburys) are against me, but sometimes I sail through with both at green. In the evening, I'd say, if anything it is a little quicker - I've certainly never had it backing up past Halfords, which occasionally happened with the old roundabout.

As above, I don't know how it affects people approaching from other directions. Also, there is presumably an impact on other road users (cyclists and pedestrians), which may be for good or bad, both in terms of travel time and safety.

Also, I'm inclined to think that there will be less crashes associated with lights than there were with a roundabout (I don't know that for a fact, its just my expectation), which may have a bearing on the success or not of such a change.

---------- Post added 22-06-2015 at 15:49 ----------

Also, it seems odd that they still haven't made the closure of Beeley Wood Road (is that the right name? I mean the short cut to cut off the left turn towards Claywheels Lane). It's as though they may be keeping their options open. Unless it just gets done as part of the streets ahead programme for the side road.

I'm sure I read that they are making a full cycle route to join up with the cycle path on Penistone Road, and Beeley Wood Road was part of it. Last time I went down there, there were still parts which do not join up.

The craziest piece of this stupidity has to be the lights on clay wheels lane for the entrance to the supermarket. Claywheels lane isn't exactly the A1 a simple give way would have been fine. They have ended up putting a traffic light in one of the gardens of the houses opposite for the block of 5 houses. I bet that makes some pretty illumination in the bedrooms at night.:cool: There are 40 houses on our road but we don't get our own set of lights.

I think somebody making road layout decisions has some shares in a traffic light company.:suspect:

I have quite fancied making a film for youtube of the journey from Wadsleybridge to the parkway showing all the times you have to stop and start at the lights. It could do with a car with a mpg meter to show how much fuel is being wasted.

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 12:52 ----------

I'm sure I read that they are making a full cycle route to join up with the cycle path on Penistone Road, and Beeley Wood Road was part of it. Last time I went down there, there were still parts which do not join up.

Thats another thing why has the foot path on claywheels been turned into a cycle path, is the modern way of thinking that walking is bad and should be stopped. Fortunately most (just about all i have seen) cyclist show more sense than than our great thinking ones:loopy: and use the road still. After all its one of the best roads to cycle on in Sheffield nice tarmac, wide and not very busy.

There's nothing worst than cycling towards some one walking with a dog except walking along with a dog with a cyclist coming towards you, they go left you go left they go right you go right and then you get one of those slow motion accidents. Ok nobody gets seriously hurt but its still very annoying.

The money would have been better spent reclaiming the 2 foot of road lost to the vegetation.

Stuuupid planner peoples.

IIRC, northbound, the cycle lane carries on past the end of Beeley Wood Road, as far as the lights at Sainsburys (ASL at the lights, I think?).

In fact, the current red and white temporary bollards at the end of Beeley Wood Road partially block the cycle lane. Of course, that wouldn't stop them putting a cycle lane on Beeley Wood Road itself, which would make sense. It just seems odd to me that they didn't complete the work at the end of Beeley Wood Road at the same time as the rest of the work.

The craziest piece of this stupidity has to be the lights on clay wheels lane for the entrance to the supermarket. Claywheels lane isn't exactly the A1 a simple give way would have been fine. They have ended up putting a traffic light in one of the gardens of the houses opposite for the block of 5 houses. I bet that makes some pretty illumination in the bedrooms at night.:cool: There are 40 houses on our road but we don't get our own set of lights.

I think somebody making road layout decisions has some shares in a traffic light company.:suspect:

I have quite fancied making a film for youtube of the journey from Wadsleybridge to the parkway showing all the times you have to stop and start at the lights. It could do with a car with a mpg meter to show how much fuel is being wasted.

---------- Post added 24-06-2015 at 12:52 ----------

Thats another thing why has the foot path on claywheels been turned into a cycle path, is the modern way of thinking that walking is bad and should be stopped. Fortunately most (just about all i have seen) cyclist show more sense than than our great thinking ones:loopy: and use the road still. After all its one of the best roads to cycle on in Sheffield nice tarmac, wide and not very busy.

There's nothing worst than cycling towards some one walking with a dog except walking along with a dog with a cyclist coming towards you, they go left you go left they go right you go right and then you get one of those slow motion accidents. Ok nobody gets seriously hurt but its still very annoying.

The money would have been better spent reclaiming the 2 foot of road lost to the vegetation.

Stuuupid planner peoples.

Yeah, I noticed the cycle path, and considered using it, but it would mean not having priority over the side roads, and making myself more difficult to see for drivers exiting the side roads and factories on the left hand side. Also, it stops before the Sainsbury's, meaning I would have to rejoin the carriageway anyway. I might as well stay on the road, its quiet and really wide anyway.

I have quite fancied making a film for youtube of the journey from Wadsley bridge to the parkway showing all the times you have to stop and start at the lights. It could do with a car with a mpg meter to show how much fuel is being wasted.

That's a good idea, showing especially the "forest" of lights around the Bradfield Rd junction.

sorry to bump this thread but have a genuine question-

I was at the lights turning left (on penistone road ) this morning, and as i went around the corner , a cyclist was at the crossing waiting to cross the road (over to the garage opposite). As i went around the corner i saw the girl press the button - but i couldnt see any lights which would give me an instruction to stop. Are there any there?

This is a serious question btw - i genuinely didnt see any sort of pedestrian crossing lights. :confused:

sorry to bump this thread but have a genuine question-

I was at the lights turning left (on penistone road ) this morning, and as i went around the corner , a cyclist was at the crossing waiting to cross the road (over to the garage opposite). As i went around the corner i saw the girl press the button - but i couldnt see any lights which would give me an instruction to stop. Are there any there?

This is a serious question btw - i genuinely didnt see any sort of pedestrian crossing lights. :confused:

I'm guessing that the pedestrian crossing will only allow them to cross when other lights are at red. You wouldn't turn left there and expect another set of lights for the crossing, it's too soon and drivers wouldn't see the lights - if that makes sense...... :confused:

There is a crossing there but it is timed so it only operates for that section of the road when the cars are coming out of Leppings Lane and either turning right into Penistone road or going straight across out of Leppings Lane into Herries Road.

I'm guessing that the pedestrian crossing will only allow them to cross when other lights are at red. You wouldn't turn left there and expect another set of lights for the crossing, it's too soon and drivers wouldn't see the lights - if that makes sense...... :confused:

it does make sense but what a stupid idea to have a crossing just around a corner. That could lead to all sorts of driver confusion ( like in my case). Good job i spotted the cyclist pushing the button because i was actively looking for a red light and very very nearly stopped.

it does make sense but what a stupid idea to have a crossing just around a corner. That could lead to all sorts of driver confusion ( like in my case). Good job i spotted the cyclist pushing the button because i was actively looking for a red light and very very nearly stopped.

Well it kind of makes sense to have the crossing where the lights / junction is....

Well it kind of makes sense to have the crossing where the lights / junction is....

Why does it? is it to facilitate pedestrian laziness again?

Why does it? is it to facilitate pedestrian laziness again?

No - it's to stop having another set of lights further down the road when there's no need. There used to be a zebra crossing there - never caused any problems and having lights is actually safer for all concerned.