Leppings Lane roundabout alterations

Drove through these lights earlier this afternoon. Nightmare! Never remember the roundabout being so congested, not on a Sunday afternoon at least. Who on earth came up with the idea of traffic lights?

Drove through these lights earlier this afternoon. Nightmare! Never remember the roundabout being so congested, not on a Sunday afternoon at least. Who on earth came up with the idea of traffic lights?

At a guess I'd say it was a body that thinks that making it as difficult as possible to drive a car on the streets,will lead those drivers to the conclusion that they would be better off catching a bus.:loopy::loopy::loopy:

its worse now iv heard they wanna put round about back in , is this true anyone ?

its worse now iv heard they wanna put round about back in , is this true anyone ?

Let's hope so because it worked much better as a roundabout than it does as a junction at the moment.

Where did you hear that?

I'm not a big fan of the new cross-roads, but don't use it at peak times.

Whats it like, has it made a difference??

Last Saturday morning at about 09:30 I drove down Catch Bar Lane, Leppings Lane and all the way to and through the new layout (the lights were with me) and up to Halfords only having to stop at the traffic lights on Halifax Road controlling access to the Halfords slip road. I may just have been very, very lucky but I never managed that in years prior to the changes.

I travel northbound on the A61 every morning, around 7:15, and southbound in the evening, around 4:30. I never approach from any of the other directions, so don't know how they are affected, but I'd say, for me, it is usually about the same in the morning - sometimes a little slower if both sets of lights (Leppings Lane and Sainsburys) are against me, but sometimes I sail through with both at green. In the evening, I'd say, if anything it is a little quicker - I've certainly never had it backing up past Halfords, which occasionally happened with the old roundabout.

As above, I don't know how it affects people approaching from other directions. Also, there is presumably an impact on other road users (cyclists and pedestrians), which may be for good or bad, both in terms of travel time and safety.

Also, I'm inclined to think that there will be less crashes associated with lights than there were with a roundabout (I don't know that for a fact, its just my expectation), which may have a bearing on the success or not of such a change.

---------- Post added 22-06-2015 at 15:49 ----------

Also, it seems odd that they still haven't made the closure of Beeley Wood Road (is that the right name? I mean the short cut to cut off the left turn towards Claywheels Lane). It's as though they may be keeping their options open. Unless it just gets done as part of the streets ahead programme for the side road.

Could you try to look ES at the queues on the other side of the road once you pass through the junction, just to give an idea of how much it backs up for people going the other way.

You're going with the majority of the traffic though, so it sounds like for the majority it's probably an improvement... See if you can get a glimpse of the queue on Leppings Lane though...

Could you try to look ES at the queues on the other side of the road once you pass through the junction, just to give an idea of how much it backs up for people going the other way.

You're going with the majority of the traffic though, so it sounds like for the majority it's probably an improvement... See if you can get a glimpse of the queue on Leppings Lane though...

Fair comment. I didn't know how bad it was before from personal experience, but I recall people complaining about the tail backs they used to face.

I'm going against the main A61 rush hour flow, each time, so it always has been easier for me than for most people.

I was actually hoping you could see the other side and tell us what it looked like. I don't go that way myself.

I was actually hoping you could see the other side and tell us what it looked like. I don't go that way myself.

Ah, I see what you mean. I will make a point of looking.