Leppings Lane roundabout alterations

Dependent on the area you're coming from, I'd go cross country to Huddersfield at the moment, avoiding Penistone Road and Hillsborough completely if you can (and certainly if you're going at rush hour).

If I needed to get out that way I'd go out to Bradfield and then out the back way to link up with the Stocksbridge bypass and up to the Flouch crossroads then up the A616, or out to the M1 at 34 or up Barnsley Road and on at 35, but then that's just me :)

Seriously, on a Sunday -> just take the route on Penistone Road, yes there are some roadworks, yes it is a mess, but traffic is flowing practically as normal.

Guest sibon
Seriously, on a Sunday -> just take the route on Penistone Road, yes there are some roadworks, yes it is a mess, but traffic is flowing practically as normal.

Not last week. I spent 25 mins getting from the University to Salt Box Lane at 9 am.

I'll be avoiding it for a while yet.

Surely it was closed for the run last Sunday though?

Guest sibon
Surely it was closed for the run last Sunday though?

Sunday before.

I have long term memory loss:D

There is another thread. I go to Huddersfield at 630am and it is fine. But coming home between 3 and 7 is a nightmare, so coming in via Oughtibridge and Malin Bridge.

Dependent on the area you're coming from, I'd go cross country to Huddersfield at the moment, avoiding Penistone Road and Hillsborough completely if you can (and certainly if you're going at rush hour).

If I needed to get out that way I'd go out to Bradfield and then out the back way to link up with the Stocksbridge bypass and up to the Flouch crossroads then up the A616, or out to the M1 at 34 or up Barnsley Road and on at 35, but then that's just me :)

That's an awful long way round, and on some pretty poor roads as well.

Angel1.

Sorry if this has already been answered on here (but there are 13 pages....), does anyone know how long the no right turn into Leppings lane will remain ? Surely it won`t be permanent ! ? ! I think they could do with reinstating the right turn as soon as possible because loads of cars just turn left down Herries Rd then do a U turn* to then drive back over the roundabout into Leppings lane.

* U turns are distinctly dodgy manoeuvres in my opinion, in fact we saw the aftermath of an accident in that area just a few days ago and wondered if it was caused by this ?

Sorry if this has already been answered on here (but there are 13 pages....), does anyone know how long the no right turn into Leppings lane will remain ? Surely it won`t be permanent ! ? ! I think they could do with reinstating the right turn as soon as possible because loads of cars just turn left down Herries Rd then do a U turn* to then drive back over the roundabout into Leppings lane.

* U turns are distinctly dodgy manoeuvres in my opinion, in fact we saw the aftermath of an accident in that area just a few days ago and wondered if it was caused by this ?

It's annoying that the turn isn't open. I also hope that it isn't permanent.

Carrying on down Penistone Road and left onto Herries Road at Charlie Browns and back around is generally fine, but an annoying detour.

The council and their bus company cohorts will be chuckling with glee at all this mayhem. Don't expect the walkley lane/holme lane bridge to reopen any time soon either.

The council and their bus company cohorts will be chuckling with glee at all this mayhem. Don't expect the walkley lane/holme lane bridge to reopen any time soon either.

That`s a good question, do the buses also follow the diversion ? They certainly can`t do a U turn on Herries Rd !

---------- Post added 08-10-2014 at 15:37 ----------

It's annoying that the turn isn't open. I also hope that it isn't permanent.

I`d be surprised if it were permanent, the A61 via Leppings lane onto the A6102 is a major through route, and because of all the hills and rivers (and lack of bridges) in Sheffield plus Penistone Rd is a dual carriageway with no right turn [till you get to Owlerton] there really isn`t a practical alternative route. Unless they built a bypass round the back of Claywheels lane onto Middlewood Rd North. They`ll never do that but it could be argued they should, Leppings lane is patently unsuitable for the amount of traffic it gets on it, particularly as it`s in a residential area.

Edited by Justin Smith

Hit a nice deep pot hole there. Travelling from High Green to get to screwfix in Hillsborough two hours ago. Couldn't stop to look as so much traffic. Could see the damn thing in my lane too, just no way to avoid it. Now have lovely big dent on the outer rim of my prized alloy. Anyone else hit the same one?

Edited by neutronium
mistake