Leppings Lane roundabout alterations

I'd never thought of that roundabout as 'difficult to use' either, not at any time of day.

It was busy, sometimes really busy - but there was nothing amazingly difficult about it.

It was just a roundabout.

It's clear that you're one of those incompetent drivers who equates going painfully slow with 'experienced driving skill'. I use that roundabout about 5 times a day and never have a problem with 'crazy, aggressive' drivers. If you find it difficult to use, then stop being a burden and use a bus.

It drives me crazy having to slam my brakes on behind someone at the roundabout because they've actually come to a complete stop to check each direction for approaching cars.

Priceless. Someone who finds they need to "slam my brakes on" ( due to their lack of anticipation ) suggesting that someone else is incompetent

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 19:37 ----------

I'd never thought of that roundabout as 'difficult to use' either, not at any time of day.

It was busy, sometimes really busy - but there was nothing amazingly difficult about it.

It was just a roundabout.

I agree. Sometimes it's busy, but it's straight forward enough.

any idea how long the Herries Road turnoff is going to be shut?

It's clear that you're one of those incompetent drivers who equates going painfully slow with 'experienced driving skill'. I use that roundabout about 5 times a day and never have a problem with 'crazy, aggressive' drivers. If you find it difficult to use, then stop being a burden and use a bus.

It drives me crazy having to slam my brakes on behind someone at the roundabout because they've actually come to a complete stop to check each direction for approaching cars.

Priceless. Someone who finds they need to "slam my brakes on" ( due to their lack of anticipation) suggesting that someone else is incompetent.

Excellent answer.

You`re talking rubbish man. I haven`t had an accident for over 20 years so do know a bit about what I`m talking about, but I`ve talked to loads of people who use that roundabout and they all agree there are loads of people who drive far too fast onto Leppings lane roundabout, the lads at Ghia garage say they`re constantly seeing accidents or near misses on it or on the pedestrian crossings off it.

Time without number I`ve seen a car coming round to turn off up Leppings Lane and though right, finally I can get out now (because he`ll cut off the cars coming up Pensitone Rd), I start going then some imbecile drives straight out out far too close in front of the car on the roundabout leaving no margin for error* (effectively cutting him up) and then catching me half way out into the road. Alternatively you get morons driving straight out behind said car missing it by about two feet and again leaving me in the middle of the road trying to get into a lane to turn right. Some of the cretins doing this then have the bleedin` nerve to hoot me. At the end of the day if you haven`t even got time to get out onto a roundabout when a car turns off down the road you want to come out there`s something deeply deeply wrong with either the roundabout or the drivers using it, thus I`m very pleased they`re getting rid of Leppings lane roundabout.....

* Leaving no margin for error is my definition of bad driving...... Some people (usually men, and particularly young men.....) will say if you miss another car by only two feet that`s good driving, but that`s because they`re idiots. Missing other cars by such a small margin is leaving no margin for error, either yours or the other drivers, and it`s bad driving, period.

Edited by Justin Smith

Excellent answer.

You`re talking rubbish man. I haven`t had an accident for over 20 years so do know a bit about what I`m talking about, but I`ve talked to loads of people who use that roundabout and they all agree there are loads of people who drive far too fast onto Leppings lane roundabout, the lads at Ghia garage say they`re constantly seeing accidents or near misses on it or on the pedestrian crossings off it.

Time without number I`ve seen a car coming round to turn off up Leppings Lane and though right, finally I can get out now (because he`ll cut off the cars coming up Pensitone Rd), I start going then some imbecile drives straight out out far too close in front of the car on the roundabout leaving no margin for error* (effectively cutting him up) and then catching me half way out into the road. Alternatively you get morons driving straight out behind said car missing it by about two feet and again leaving me in the middle of the road trying to get into a lane to turn right. Some of the cretins doing this then have the bleedin` nerve to hoot me. At the end of the day if you haven`t even got time to get out onto a roundabout when a car turns off down the road you want to come out there`s something deeply deeply wrong with either the roundabout or the drivers using it, thus I`m very pleased they`re getting rid of Leppings lane roundabout.....

* Leaving no margin for error is my definition of bad driving...... Some people (usually men, and particularly young men.....) will say if you miss another car by only two feet that`s good driving, but that`s because they`re idiots. Missing other cars by such a small margin is leaving no margin for error, either yours or the other drivers, and it`s bad driving, period.

I use that roundabout twice a day, Mon-Fri during rush hour and haven't experienced anything like that.

If you find yourself stranded on a regular basis with traffic bearing down on you, then I'd question your own technique in negotiating the roundabout

Edited by SnailyBoy
Typo

When was the roundabout put in place? 50's, 60's?

I use that roundabout twice a day, Mon-Fri during rush hour and haven't experienced anything like that.

If you find yourself stranded on a regular basis with traffic bearing down on you, then I'd question your own technique in negotiating the roundabout

I've read it twice and I still can't figure out his problem??

Excellent answer.

You`re talking rubbish man. I haven`t had an accident for over 20 years so do know a bit about what I`m talking about,

Hold on. Haven't you spent pages and pages in the past arguing that lane hogging is perfectly acceptable?

but I`ve talked to loads of people who use that roundabout and they all agree there are loads of people who drive far too fast onto Leppings lane roundabout, the lads at Ghia garage say they`re constantly seeing accidents or near misses on it or on the pedestrian crossings off it.

I use it periodically, sometimes at rush hour, and I've never had a problem when approaching down Leppings Lane.

Time without number I`ve seen a car coming round to turn off up Leppings Lane and though right, finally I can get out now (because he`ll cut off the cars coming up Pensitone Rd), I start going then some imbecile drives straight out out far too close in front of the car on the roundabout leaving no margin for error* (effectively cutting him up) and then catching me half way out into the road.

Sounds like poor anticipation on your part if it happens that often.

Alternatively you get morons driving straight out behind said car missing it by about two feet

So performing a perfectly acceptable entrance to the roundabout, that you fail to anticipate.

and again leaving me in the middle of the road trying to get into a lane to turn right. Some of the cretins doing this then have the bleedin` nerve to hoot me.

Funny that. With you being in the wrong place, and them in the correct one!

At the end of the day if you haven`t even got time to get out onto a roundabout when a car turns off down the road you want to come out there`s something deeply deeply wrong with either the roundabout or the drivers using it, thus I`m very pleased they`re getting rid of Leppings lane roundabout.....

And if it happens to you a lot, which driver is it that has the problem?

It doesn`t happen all the time. Regularly ? I see cars cutting up other cars on that roundabout very often. I sometimes get caught out by it, maybe 2 or 3 times a year ? But it depends what you mean by caught out by it. I don`t want another car within 15 to 20 feet (that`s less than half a second at 30mph) of me when I`m going round a roundabout, unlike Cyclone if I come within 2 feet of another car on a roundabout I feel something`s gone wrong. Drivers should not be pulling out onto a roundabout unless they`re only going to miss another vehicle by at least 15 to 20ft, and definitely not just 2ft.

On the ease of use of Leppings lane roundabout, which direction do you use it ? Because that`s very significant.

---------- Post added 30-05-2014 at 12:17 ----------

Some people (usually men, and particularly young men.....) will say if you miss another car by only two feet that`s good driving, but that`s because they`re idiots. Missing other cars by such a small margin is leaving no margin for error, either yours or the other drivers, and it`s bad driving, period.

So performing a perfectly acceptable entrance to the roundabout, that you fail to anticipate.

Can I just clarify something Cyclone. Are you saying in a moving traffic environment (as opposed to a car park) missing another car by just two feet (24 inches) is "perfectly acceptable". So two cars travelling at 20 to 30 mph each which miss each other by 24 inches is good safe driving is it ? If I`ve got my maths right 30mph is 13.5m/sec, or 45ft per second. So two feet would equate to an error of 0.04 seconds. What would you consider an adequate margin for error whilst driving something which weighs about a ton....... ?

Edited by Justin Smith

It doesn`t happen all the time. Regularly ? I see cars cutting up other cars on that roundabout very often. I sometimes get caught out by it, maybe 2 or 3 times a year ? But it depends what you mean by caught out by it. I don`t want another car within 15 to 20 feet (that`s less than half a second at 30mph) of me when I`m going round a roundabout, unlike Cyclone if I come within 2 feet of another car on a roundabout I feel something`s gone wrong. Drivers should not be pulling out onto a roundabout unless they`re only going to miss another vehicle by at least 15 to 20ft, and definitely not just 2ft.

On the ease of use of Leppings lane roundabout, which direction do you use it ? Because that`s very significant.

Can I just clarify something Cyclone. Are you saying in a moving traffic environment (as opposed to a car park) missing another car by just two feet (24 inches) is "perfectly acceptable". So two cars travelling at 20 to 30 mph each which miss each other by 24 inches is good safe driving is it ? If I`ve got my maths right 30mph is 13.5m/sec, or 45ft per second. So two feet would equate to an error of 0.04 seconds. What would you consider an adequate margin for error whilst driving something which weighs about a ton....... ?

All that is based on accepting the '2ft' and '30mph', which I don't. I think that you've come up with that to justify your position. Adding to that the strawman argument that disagreeing with you is condoning bad driving.

It's a bit on the close side, but in the situation you describe both vehicles are moving relatively slowly, probably in the region of 15mph, and not travelling in opposition (at worst travelling at 90 degree's, probably less).

And of course we only have your eyeball judgement for how close they are. A judgement which I'm inclined to take with a pinch of salt since I disagree with most of your other opinions on driving.

If you're waiting for a 15 to 20 foot gap, then that is exactly why you are struggling to use a roundabout.