Advice from a joiner/carpenter please

I couldn't work out which section to post this under, hope someone looks at this here!

I'm looking for a 1930s door for my house and have found this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-1930s-front-door-excellent-condition-/171335767270?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Doors_LE&hash=item27e46854e6

My current front door is 815 wide, and this one is listed as 850 wide. My question is, is that too much to trim off this door in your professional opinion? Or would it be alright? The post says the door is of solid construction. Thanks for any advice in advance! :)

It would mean slicing 17.5 mm off each side. Yes, I think you could get away with that.

You may have a problem with the Yale lock.

I would not.

The stiles are already narrow,

The yale would have to be refitted which would he a awful job.,and then repairing the paintwork.

Keep looking ,thats ebay something always tudns up in the end

Edited by butlers
more info

If OP is paying that much for the door, perhaps he won't mind paying a joiner to refit the lock. And the door would presumably have to be repainted anyway - the present colour is appalling, especially for a 1930s door.

OP, if this is the door you really like and there aren't many to choose from, I would go for it. But (needless to say) take it to a good timber yard for them to take off the excess and sand/plane the sawn edge smooth. If there are lots kicking around which are nearer the width you want, perhaps hang on.

How practical would it be to reduce the width of the opening/door frame instead?

Is the height OK? It looks as though a section has been added onto the bottom edge already.

Edited by aliceBB

hi i don,t think you get away with it with needing a insurance 5 lever lock and its going lose strength as it looks like its been reduce beforehand as the yale lock looks very close already on the rail . i would carry on looking ta jeff

I couldn't work out which section to post this under, hope someone looks at this here!

I'm looking for a 1930s door for my house and have found this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-1930s-front-door-excellent-condition-/171335767270?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Doors_LE&hash=item27e46854e6

My current front door is 815 wide, and this one is listed as 850 wide. My question is, is that too much to trim off this door in your professional opinion? Or would it be alright? The post says the door is of solid construction. Thanks for any advice in advance! :)

Get a joiner in with a view to changing exsistng door frame not a very big job possibly cheaper than altering door. :hihi: A nice new door frame standard size you can have your pick of doors then. Dont bodge it its your home

Edited by spider1