City of sanctuary - Gleadless Valley

Because anyone who knows anything about Gleadless Valley ie. your average Sheffielder, wouldn't want to live there in a million years!

I think the same about Parson Cross, Southey Green, Pitsmoor, Page Hall, Tinsley, The Manor - and theres more !

Gleadless Valley is the largest council estate in Sheffield. Its easy to generalise about areas of the Valley with it covering such a large area. Some parts are still ok.

But. . . . its on the decline like so many other areas.

I think the same about Parson Cross, Southey Green, Pitsmoor, Page Hall, Tinsley, The Manor - and theres more !

Gleadless Valley is the largest council estate in Sheffield. Its easy to generalise about areas of the Valley with it covering such a large area. Some parts are still ok.

A bit of sense at last.

I always thought that Parson Cross was the largest Council Estate in Sheffield. Am I wrong ?

There isn't anything wrong with Gleadless Valley, as I said before its the small percentage of scum that spoil the place, plus a lot of the trouble you read about i.e. burglary etc. are committed by people from other nearby estates.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 19:43 ----------

It is true.

Probably because they don't know which are classed as "rough" areas and happily take any property they can get unlike the Sheffielders who choose not to bid on the first come first served properties that are usually in rougher areas or in very poor condition.

Its NOT a rough area! The murders that have been committed on the Valley were committed by Asylum Seekers.

That's your opinion! I've lived on Gleadless 26 years AND STILL DO!

The small minority that you speak of stand out like a sore thumb and succeed in dragging the area down.

The area looks run-down and scruffy in most places.

It's very sad but true.

We moved into the area when it was very hard to get a property in Gleadless, now they can't give them away!

I always thought that Parson Cross was the largest Council Estate in Sheffield. Am I wrong ?

Sheffield 5 covers the most area.

When Gleadless Valley was built it was held up as the councils flagship estate, that stopped being the case long ago.

It was Doom, after discussions with the authorities and locals they apologised and recommenced deliveries to the area.

B.T.W. it has been reported to have happened in several areas.

I vaguely remembered reading the article, which I since found and linked.

I can't say I really know that neck of the woods very well.

It's ironic you made your post, because I was just having a look on Google maps where Lees Hall Golf Club is because I may go there for a beer festival.

It looks very close to Gleadless Valley.

Regards

Doom

There isn't anything wrong with Gleadless Valley, as I said before its the small percentage of scum that spoil the place, plus a lot of the trouble you read about i.e. burglary etc. are committed by people from other nearby estates.

That is true of all districts, All district's in Sheffield is populated by a very big majority of good honest and decent people. But it is the so called small minority (however big that is) that makes a district a bad one.

There are various parts of Gleedless Valley that are vile. I live on Arbourthorne and yes there are a few roads which have a reputation however I have never felt unsafe.

Twice in the last three weeks I have been to newfield green, the first was unpleasant with congregations of people (mainly white) swearing, shouting and the likes but the second was awful and I felt intimidated.

I had lot's of shopping my 4 year old daughter with me and a group of two lads and a lass where acting fools really swearing at one another and throwing things at each other bearing in mind my daughter was a few feet away from these idiots and they had no care in the world, one of them even tried to get in my taxi whilst we were getting in it telling the driver he needed to take him somewhere!

The presence of groups hanging about was also worse than the first time.

I'm extremley street wise and have walked through areas deemed rough in the early hours including burngreave and broomhall and have never felt like I did that day.

Was there not a body found the other week behind the shops, a white man in his late 20's?

And as for immigrants getting properties if they are first come first served then it is probably that us sheffielders don't want em!

There are various parts of Gleedless Valley that are vile. I live on Arbourthorne and yes there are a few roads which have a reputation however I have never felt unsafe.

Twice in the last three weeks I have been to newfield green, the first was unpleasant with congregations of people (mainly white) swearing, shouting and the likes but the second was awful and I felt intimidated.

I had lot's of shopping my 4 year old daughter with me and a group of two lads and a lass where acting fools really swearing at one another and throwing things at each other bearing in mind my daughter was a few feet away from these idiots and they had no care in the world, one of them even tried to get in my taxi whilst we were getting in it telling the driver he needed to take him somewhere!

The presence of groups hanging about was also worse than the first time.

I'm extremley street wise and have walked through areas deemed rough in the early hours including burngreave and broomhall and have never felt like I did that day.

Was there not a body found the other week behind the shops, a white man in his late 20's?

And as for immigrants getting properties if they are first come first served then it is probably that us sheffielders don't want em!

Yes a body was found, he was from Arbourthorne and he wasn't murdered.

I have to say that's how I see Newfield Green and avoid it as much as possible.

Yes a body was found, he was from Arbourthorne and he wasn't murdered.

I have to say that's how I see Newfield Green and avoid it as much as possible.

I am aware he was from Arbourthorne, however I have yet to see where it has been confirmed he wasn't murdered and he was found on gleedless valley.

The gaunt isn't very nice either in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I'm aware there is trouble on many estates in Sheffield but over the past few years it has become worse, the first come first served properties in large quantities speaks volumes about how bad it is.

I am aware he was from Arbourthorne, however I have yet to see where it has been confirmed he wasn't murdered and he was found on gleedless valley.

The gaunt isn't very nice either in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I'm aware there is trouble on many estates in Sheffield but over the past few years it has become worse, the first come first served properties in large quantities speaks volumes about how bad it is.

You're very right on both points!

My Bold

If thats the case it can only get worse, perish the thought.