I love Windows 8..

I haven't ranted about Win8 for a while.

It wouldn't boot up, and [after 2 hours] it gave me some options, I selected 'Refresh and keep files' which sounded quite good. I found it quite a refreshing word after all my troubles... :)

I should have checked my online Thesaurus first :hihi:

Refresh is Microsoft's new word [or certainly new to me] for 'restore' (restore back to when bought it, but with my files)

It took my copy of Microsoft Office. :hihi: (wasn't quite my reaction). I need this for work and for every day work. It was my last license.

So what are the chances of me getting a free copy?

1. Welcomes posts that say I'm stupid and shouldn't be allowed computers...

2. Welcomes posts that say I'm stupid for thinking I'll get a free copy

When you install the new version of office, you create an office account, you can go to office.com - login, and it will have the option of downloading it (if you own it) to install on that machine...

If it doesn't, then you can contact the help from there, and they'll help!

Microsoft help is pretty good for this thing, they'll sort you out with a new licence if you explain the problem.

I had a similar problem replacing a hard drive on a laptop, even though I'd cloned the old drive onto the new one windows detected the hardware change and invalidated the windows licence.

5 minutes on the phone and the licence was re-instated :)

When you install the new version of office, you create an office account, you can go to office.com - login, and it will have the option of downloading it (if you own it) to install on that machine...

If it doesn't, then you can contact the help from there, and they'll help!

Microsoft help is pretty good for this thing, they'll sort you out with a new licence if you explain the problem.

I had a similar problem replacing a hard drive on a laptop, even though I'd cloned the old drive onto the new one windows detected the hardware change and invalidated the windows licence.

5 minutes on the phone and the licence was re-instated :)

Great stuff thanks for that. I'll try it.

I don't remember setting up an account Ghozer, but it was a genuine license, so I should be able to find something. (I hope I kept the box!)

Why would you need a new license at all? just use the license you paid for. Licensing is done per computer, not per install of windows. Having to contact them over hardware changes though is a right pain. But if you have not changed anything it should be fine.

Microsoft's website will have details.

Psssssst.... there is always open office and libra, and kingsoft office. All decent alternatives :-)

Thats what I thought, but it invalidated the licence all the same :(

I used an interesting tool with office 2010, that activated the copy. And a copy it was.... lol.

I don't quite like the sound of this new version with this cloud shenanigans, and having to pay every year for the same bit of software. In the "old days" you could continue to use the software you paid for as long as it ran in the OS. Microsoft have gotten VERY greedy now with all of this. (and I'm not having anything to do with it!).

Quite bad for a business stand point as well, we are going to have to get all new licenses for our systems, and pay out the nose for it every year instead. GREED. But this is the American way, in which we embrace in the UK.

The online hook-up was particularly annoying actually, it activated itself in the 8.1 update IIRC.

It wouldn't log the computer in unless it was online, really annoying.

Had to do a quick search online to disable it, the option for it was pretty well hidden IMO.

What with all the gubbins in the EU with them including a web browser and media player (shock horror!) I'm surprised they have forced that upon users.

For me, I didn't mind so much as I already had a live account but for others, rather annoying indeed.

Same with android really, but I already had an account ;-)

The new MS office is only limited to 3 installs or something if I remember right...

Why would you need a new license at all? just use the license you paid for. Licensing is done per computer, not per install of windows. )

Yes, so the box says. Glad I didn't bin it.

The new MS office is only limited to 3 installs or something if I remember right...

I should be ok then.

Just installing 8.1 first. Might as well as it's a clean slate.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 17:01 ----------

Well this is proving to be difficult too. Should have known! :roll:

It won't install 8.1 without me removing HP protection tool. Try to remove that and it says I have to remove something else HP which isn't on the list in Control Panel! :huh: