Ukip. All discussion here please.

I struggle to make sense of your posts, sorry.

---------- Post added 10-12-2014 at 18:47 ----------

The loopholes that are written into law by lobbyists.

You know how much it would save, because we've had this conversation many times. You had a different username then though.

Assuming these loopholes exist and that if closed would generate huge sums of money, which I very much doubt, which party is saying they will close them, and does it really make sense to continue increasing the population at a time when we don't have the money to solve our energy problems and infrastructure problems?

Are the lobbyists by any chance the same people that benefit from an over supply of labour?

Assuming these loopholes exist and that if closed would generate huge sums of money, which I very much doubt, which party is saying they will close them, and does it really make sense to continue increasing the population at a time when we don't have the money to solve our energy problems and infrastructure problems?

Are the lobbyists by any chance the same people that benefit from an over supply of labour?

If we've not got enough money to solve our infrastructure is sure, why are we spending billions on roads, and on HS2/3, which the majority of the British public don't want??

You know as well as I do that loopholes exist.

If we've not got enough money to solve our infrastructure is sure, why are we spending billions on roads, and on HS2/3, which the majority of the British public don't want??

You know as well as I do that loopholes exist.

I know that some British companies operate abroad and pay tax here and that some foreign companies operate here but pay their tax somewhere other than here. Are these the loopholes to which you refer?

I know that some British companies operate abroad and pay tax here and that some foreign companies operate here but pay their tax somewhere other than here. Are these the loopholes to which you refer?

Take the owner of Top Shop. The business is in his wife's name and his wife loves in Monaco. It's legal, but it means Top Shop pay no tax. They're a big company and they should have a moral obligation to pay their fair share of tax in the countries that they operate in.

Please explain the 2 faced remark.

---------- Post added 10-12-2014 at 16:39 ----------

Can you explain how immigration has made a positive net contribution to the economy since the open borders policy?!

What he did with Johnathan Ross then let's his mouth say owt

What he did with Johnathan Ross then let's his mouth say owt

How is that being tow faced? He made a mistake, went too far and then said sorry.

Tell you what is two faced, saying that you're going to protect the NHS, then allowing it to become slowly privatised, leading to massive job and budget cuts.

Or.......being elected as Mayor of London, then spending more time in meetings with bankers that with your constituents.

Neither Cameron or Boris have apologised to us for that yet!

Take the owner of Top Shop. The business is in his wife's name and his wife loves in Monaco. It's legal, but it means Top Shop pay no tax. They're a big company and they should have a moral obligation to pay their fair share of tax in the countries that they operate in.

Would it generate any extra money for the government, Topshop operate in 37 different countries, how many companies that pay tax here generate some of their income in other countries, presumably if Topshop pay some UK tax there will be other companies that will pay less tax here because they will be expected to pay tax abroad.

Multinational giants line up for UK tax breaks.

Pfizer's bid for AstraZeneca expected to be first of hundreds of moves to the UK thanks to favourable tax regime.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businesslatestnews/10805995/Multinational-giants-line-up-for-UK-tax-breaks.html

This would mean they generate money abroad but pay tax here.

Take the owner of Top Shop. The business is in his wife's name and his wife lives in Monaco. It's legal, but it means Top Shop pay no tax.
With respect Bonzo, it doesn't.

If Topshop is incorporated in the UK and makes a profit in the UK, that profit is taxed in the UK.

Whether the company shareholders are domiciled in the UK and liable to UK income tax themselves, is a completely different issue.

I own US shares, doesn't make me to liable to US income tax. Same principle with Topshop.

Edited by L00b

If Topshop is incorporated in the UK and makes a profit in the UK, that profit is taxed in the UK.

Whether the company shareholders are domiciled in the UK and liable to UK income tax themselves, is a completely different issue.

I own US shares, doesn't make me to liable to US income tax. Same principle with Topshop.

Philip deliberately tried to avoid paying hundreds of millions of pounds of UK tax by channelling £1.2 billion worth of funds from his Arcadia retail empire into an offshore vehicle registered to his wife in Monaco.

You talking of not being liable for US income tax reminds me of a slightly different story, but amusing. The US are chasing Boris Johnson for unpaid taxes. He has an American Passport which apparently means he is has to pay capital gains tax on a house he sold here in the UK.

There is also talk of them going after him for income tax as well, because he earns over the threshold for foreign-earned income exclusion threshold, which is £62k.

I did not claim that Philip did not use tax avoidance schemes, Bonzo. I simply corrected your shortcut, because it was misleading as you worded it.

Residence, and sometimes nationality as well (per JFK's example with Boris above - and as a French citizen and expatriate, frequently hounded by the French tax office myself for daring to live overseas and not signing my first born over to Hollande, I fully commiserate :D) determine taxation indeed.

But Topshop did not dodge UK corporate tax because its owner lives in Monaco: it dodged UKCT by breaking even (no profit to tax) after offshoring its profits (as the dividend to the wife shareholder...though as noted in the link, it must be quite a complex gas plant of a scheme, because dividends are usually paid after tax :huh:).

In other news...Hamilton claims 'dirty tricks' as a fresh expenses row ends his Ukip seat bid. Choice extract:

Mr Hamilton claimed that party insiders were running a “dirty tricks” campaign against him. “It is sad that some people in Ukip have adopted the black arts of selective briefing, misrepresentation and outright lies which Ukip rightly excoriates in the LibLabCon,” he said.
Oh, the irony! Priceless, you absolutely could not make this stuff up :hihi: Edited by L00b

How is that being tow faced? He made a mistake, went too far and then said sorry.

Tell you what is two faced, saying that you're going to protect the NHS, then allowing it to become slowly privatised, leading to massive job and budget cuts.

Or.......being elected as Mayor of London, then spending more time in meetings with bankers that with your constituents.

Neither Cameron or Boris have apologised to us for that yet!

Tow faced ???