The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

15 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Rather a pittance, then, compared to Nicky Morgan's and Zac Goldsmith's peerages and ministerial appointments, after they both failed to get elected as Tory MPs notwithstanding this "landslide victory" ;)

Looks like the days of 'voting them out' when voters aren't satisfied with their performance, are now gone. So I guess any posters intent on making this 'vote them out next time' argument, can now fold up and go home.

11 hours ago, L00b said:

Rather a pittance, then, compared to Nicky Morgan's and Zac Goldsmith's peerages and ministerial appointments, after they both failed to get elected as Tory MPs notwithstanding this "landslide victory" ;)

Looks like the days of 'voting them out' when voters aren't satisfied with their performance, are now gone. So I guess any posters intent on making this 'vote them out next time' argument, can now fold up and go home.

We'll all have the opportunity to vote for Farage's new Reform Party next time round.  Their main focus appears to be the abolition of the House of Lords. 

17 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

We'll all have the opportunity to vote for Farage's new Reform Party next time round.  Their main focus appears to be the abolition of the House of Lords. 

Well he can charge people again to join his new party now that his MEP's salary is going.

Anyhow, I thought he was off to the USA to be Trumps  "warm up act"  for the elections - although which part of Trump he'll be warming up is yet to be confirmed.

Edited by Longcol

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Well he can charge people again to join his new party now that his MEP's salary is going.

See what Farage has given up on your behalf & for the sake of the nation.  He's a martyr for the cause. 

I'm sure that he doesn't need it & presumably he'll be entitled to an EU pension?  

Edited by Baron99

4 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

See what Farage has given up on your behalf & for the sake of the nation.  He's a martyr for the cause. 

I'm sure that he doesn't need it & presumably he'll be entitled to an EU pension?  

Done nothing for me or my family and friends and shall we say dubious if he's done anything for the nation . And he's bottled out of standing as an MP this time round as well as the Petrborough by election which he ought to have walked.

Much easier not to have to take responsibility for anything.

The 2020 Liberal Democrats leadership election is due to be held in August 2020

Ed Davey launched his bid to become leader saying that his "experience as a carer can help rebuild Britain after coronavirus". He proposed the establishment of a universal basic income.

Layla Moran announced that she would stand as a candidate on 8 March 2020, saying that the party needed a "positive vision", with more emphasis on the policy areas of education, the environment and political culture. Her vision also outlines that "A Universal Basic Income is necessary to support those who fall on hard times", as well as investment in education, health, social care and public services. She also wants to prioritise well-being and mental health alongside economic growth. She had previously criticised the party's approach to the 2019 general election, saying that the party's policy of preventing Brexit meant that voters didn't trust the party.

Wera Hobhouse has expressed concern about how she'd be treated as a party leader given that she was an immigrant. She announced that she'd run as a candidate on 5 February, in an article for the website Politics Home in which she argued that the party should campaign from the centre-left and consider the possibility of the United Kingdom rejoining the European Union.  In May, she called for the party to "abandon equidistant", where "equidistant" refers to the idea that the Liberal Democrats should campaign from a position equally between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party. She said that she'd start working with the Labour Party and the Green Party immediately if she were elected leader.

I know there will be lots of negativity here, but lets discus an alternative to the two main partys. It is better if we have more to chose from than Labour or Conservative.

The lib dems are like the Greens. Irrelevant to mainstream politics. They can promise whatever they like and people who agree may vote for them but ultimately it will have no effect. Yes, the formed the coalition once in the last 50 years but realistically what power did they have in it apart from Clegg having a ceremonial role in return for helping the Tories keep power

37 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

The lib dems are like the Greens. Irrelevant to mainstream politics. They can promise whatever they like and people who agree may vote for them but ultimately it will have no effect. Yes, the formed the coalition once in the last 50 years but realistically what power did they have in it apart from Clegg having a ceremonial role in return for helping the Tories keep power

I would have said the coalision was a better and more honest Government than May and Johnson.

Can you imagine Clegg and Johnson together, if it worked it would be a much better Government.

The new leader I am prefering at the moment is Ed Davey.

They've lost their way again, lurching from average leader to average leader.  Swinson was a real turn off for voters.

The only consolation is that all the other parties are the same way.    

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

They've lost their way again, lurching from average leader to average leader.  Swinson was a real turn off for voters.   The only consolation is that all the other parties are the same way.    

In order for there to be a change of Government, the Government need to be performing poorly, that is a certain now. The opposition needs to be good - certainly did not happen in 2019.

Starmer could get a good Labour party, but the rest is uncertain. I havnt looked into it too much, but I dont believe a universal basic income is a good idea.

Didn’t realise the Lib Dems still existed. Shouldn’t this thread be in the Archives section alongside 19 century writers ?