The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

2 minutes ago, iansheff said:

So Jo Swinson says if they were elected and she was Prime Minister she would revoke Article 50 and we stay in the EU, that is really being democratic. Sod the people we will do what I say and we will leave, think she has got the lust for power.

She will only get to do that if it is the will of the people.

5 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

She will only get to do that if it is the will of the people.

It depends how many people vote, I can't see her being PM but with the apathy towards voting who knows. The winning party could take power by getting fewer votes than the number of votes that were cast to leave the EU, if that was the LibDems and they revoked Article 50 what does that say about democracy.

Just now, iansheff said:

It depends how many people vote, I can't see her being PM but with the apathy towards voting who knows. The winning party could take power by getting fewer votes than the number of votes that were cast to leave the EU, if that was the LibDems and they revoked Article 50 what does that say about democracy.

It says, get out and vote.

There are far too many imponderables in the rest of your statement to be worth debating.

14 minutes ago, iansheff said:

So Jo Swinson says if they were elected and she was Prime Minister she would revoke Article 50 and we stay in the EU, that is really being democratic. Sod the people we will do what I say and we will leave, think she has got the lust for power.

its comedy gold , Swinson has no chance shes just milking her 5 mins of fame!

On 15/09/2019 at 00:02, taxman said:

Yet more tories joining them. They must be loving the extra MPs and publicity but the last time they sold their souls to a bunch of Tories it didn't turn out so well.

They claim to be vetting the incomers but there is concern that the new famous "Liberal Democrats" will just be parachuted into safe seats to the cost of long term, loyal and steadfast members of the party.

"Sorry old chap, I know you've done brilliant work for the party for 40 years but Chucka is here now and he's the future!"

Swinson is probably more aligned with your average Tory than most. 

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11971/jo_swinson/east_dunbartonshire/votes

Voted to reduce housing benefit for social tenants. 

Voted against raising welfare benefits.

Voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods to those unable to work due to illness or disability. 

Voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people. 

Voted against taxing banker’s & banker’s bonuses. 

Vote for raising VAT. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Lib Dems, if in power,  could introduce a Minister for Happines.

All decisions on spending and legislation will depend on how they affect peoples happiness.

I await Littlejohn's "you couldn't make it up " comment.

I think they are all on banned substances

Edited by davyboy

Jo Swindon is doing a Kinnock from the past, she's  going to fall flat on her face or as Kinnock did on the beach , on his a-- e.

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Swinson is probably more aligned with your average Tory than most. 

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11971/jo_swinson/east_dunbartonshire/votes

Voted to reduce housing benefit for social tenants. 

Voted against raising welfare benefits.

Voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods to those unable to work due to illness or disability. 

Voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people. 

Voted against taxing banker’s & banker’s bonuses. 

Vote for raising VAT. 

Once a Tory always a Tory..if you voted for a bedroom tax, if you voted for tax credits, if you supported the health reforms and kowtowed to Clegg when he was sucking in the Rose Garden then you really have no credibility at all.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

18668800-0-image-a-21_1568892790468.jpg

Well from looking at the graph, it appears to be at the expense of Lab?  The others appear pretty stable.