The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

24 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

They didn't win power, they were the minority in a coalition.  So they had to do some bargaining.

I think they will pick up student votes.  They are very much pro-remain and are not linked to anti-semitism or Boris Johnson.

they will not have a chance with the student vote, once bitten and all that

18 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Clearly, they're cleaning up in every by-election going at the moment, at both Labour's and the Conservatives' expense.

Doesn't matter one bit, whether that's down to the "student vote" or not.

What's equally clear, is that your Labour poster boy is failing to capitalise at the ballot box. Majorly so. Even though the LibDems themselves hardly have any figurehead making the news and talkshows: I'd say people are voting for the policies on which the LibDems stand (remain, in a nutshell), rather than for political personalities (the LibDems arguably have none).

Labour missed the remain coach. You can put your head in the sand about it, or not: same difference.

Edited by L00b

42 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Someone will sweep up all those disillusioned young Corbynites.   That will be the Lib-Dems.  

Why young people are abandoning Jeremy Corbyn

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/jeremy-corbyn-young-voters-a4100906.html

34 minutes ago, L00b said:

Clearly, they're cleaning up in every by-election going at the moment, at both Labour's and the Conservatives' expense.

Doesn't matter one bit, whether that's down to the "student vote" or not.

What's equally clear, is that your Labour poster boy is failing to capitalise at the ballot box. Majorly so. Even though the LibDems themselves hardly have any figurehead making the news and talkshows: I'd say people are voting for the policies on which the LibDems stand (remain, in a nutshell), rather than for political personalities (the LibDems arguably have none).

Labour missed the remain coach. You can put your head in the sand about it, or not: same difference.

totally agree, currently theres ONE issue, the Tories and Labour have both failed in trying to appease both sides of the divide, sitting on the fence. and are suffering in the elections due to it.

the winners are Brexit party and UKIP on the brexit side, and Lib dems and Greens on the remain side (although more Lib dems than greens), they have all had well thought out, availabe plans of action on brexit, and their manifestos are clear.

8 hours ago, banjodeano said:

but i wonder if they will renegade on their pledges like they did the last time with the students? i dont think they will pick up any student votes again lol

Remind me how well Labour are doing in the locals and Euro elections again...?

Lib dems are staunchy pro-remain unlike the cluster bluster fluster that is Corbyn attempting to ease the fencepost in his backside.... Guess why the LD's are hoovering up the vote from everyone, left and right included....

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:18, banjodeano said:

It was a Labour Govenment that introduced universit tuition fees.

To which you will reply something along the lines of 'blairite, centrist etc etc'.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:59, Obelix said:

Remind me how well Labour are doing in the locals and Euro elections again...?

Lib dems are staunchy pro-remain unlike the cluster bluster fluster that is Corbyn attempting to ease the fencepost in his backside.... Guess why the LD's are hoovering up the vote from everyone, left and right included....

They've certainly hoovered up my formerly conservative remain vote, as well as at least half a dozen former Labour Party members I know, all of whom have resigned their membership in the last six months.

On 22/07/2019 at 09:15, bendix said:

It was a Labour Govenment that introduced universit tuition fees.

To which you will reply something along the lines of 'blairite, centrist etc etc'.

They've certainly hoovered up my formerly conservative remain vote, as well as at least half a dozen former Labour Party members I know, all of whom have resigned their membership in the last six months.

To be fair, Gillian Shepherd started the ball rolling over tuition fees. So Blair, Shepherd and Ron Dearing all take some responsibility. The Tories have increased them mercilessly since 2010 too.

I’m probably going to be another remain defector. This time from the Labour side. I’m absolutely stunned that Labour haven’t grasped the remain nettle and done something decisive.

On 19/07/2019 at 12:18, banjodeano said:

They will have a chance. It depends how successfully the very real accusations on student loans can be made to stick in an election campaign.

The obvious out for the LibDems is the following:

1. We made a mistake, sorry

2. We will reduce student fees to a more manageable amount

3. We will convert existing loans into a favourable graduate tax, or finance some kind of debt jubilee

4. We will cancel Brexit

Hey presto, 70% or more of the under-35 vote captured

Another day another victory for the countries greatest political Party.

If a general election happens with the revolting BoJo and Corbyn still in charge, I think we have a great chance.

16 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Another day another victory for the countries greatest political Party.

If a general election happens with the revolting BoJo and Corbyn still in charge, I think we have a great chance.

Great result that Jimbo.

Very good that the other parties didn't field a candidate in order to pool votes, otherwise I think they'd have come a close second.

Although I would imagine there are some unhappy Plaid Cymru voters out there.