The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

I don't think it's anything to do with his faith. I think it's because he was a crap :)

The wrong choice in the first place really, almost certainly a nice guy and good politician, but these days people can see through this 'feigning charisma' type thing. Ed Milliband showed us this.

To be fair, after the election in 2015, Liberal Democrat MPs were wiped out, so the choice of MPs to lead the party was severely narrowed.

In interviews I thought he came across quite well, and was not an 'Orange Book' Liberal (like Danny Alexander or David Laws) - but perhaps more social democratic, and seemed sceptical of the neoliberal order.

I don't think he tried to 'feign charisma,' but seemed to be himself.

Any leader from the Liberal Democrats would've struggled this last election. The tide was against them, and in favour of the 2 main parties.

My only question is why he didn't anticipate that his faith and politics would collide before he became leader. He must've known that issues such as homosexuality and abortion would put him in a difficult position.

Largely those are matters of conscience, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to be open about these things - but not in the middle of an election campaign.

Isn't it odd! I think quite a few previous PMs have managed to reconcile being a Christian and PM.

I didn't think he was a bad leader. A lot of the things on social and economic issues made sense. Wonder who'll replace him? Vince Cable?

I think it was interviewers who kept on bringing it up, (his views on gay sex and marriage,) They saw an inconsistency and kept using it to beat him with. It got in the way of the things he wanted to discuss.

Like he said, do we really live in a tolerant society when it comes Christianity? No other faiths or their practitioners seem to be held up to such public scrutiny.

You ask that question on this forum that has the most unbelievably caustic views on Islam? Just imagine if Farron had been a practicing Moslem....

Tim has been pushed (gently) and decided this was as valid a reason as any to safe face after being pushed (gently).

Truth is, he was misguided in promising another referendum on Brexit and that cost him, he was misguided on stating the borders would be open to refugees under the LibDems and that cost him. Two pretty significant flaws in his rhetoric during the elections that would have worked in a proportional system but should not have been trotted out in a FPTP.

Tim has been pushed (gently) and decided this was as valid a reason as any to safe face after being pushed (gently).

Truth is, he was misguided in promising another referendum on Brexit and that cost him, he was misguided on stating the borders would be open to refugees under the LibDems and that cost him. Two pretty significant flaws in his rhetoric during the elections that would have worked in a proportional system but should not have been trotted out in a FPTP.

Very probably.

Very probably.

It's what I thought too. He went all in with his Brexit plans and it won him a few extra seats but actually got him fewer votes in total. He tried to stand up for Remainers and it didn't quite work out for him. So he should resign. It's how it usually works.

I actually think a whole lot of them should have resigned; Farron for the above, Sturgeon for losing seats, Wood for not gaining any after banging on and on about what would happen in Wales post Brexit (which Wales voted for), May for losing seats and Corbyn for not winning the election. Nuttall too and he did.

To be fair, after the election in 2015, Liberal Democrat MPs were wiped out, so the choice of MPs to lead the party was severely narrowed.

To be honest, I don't recognise any of them apart from Farren and Cable.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/mps

Yes good point Mister M, and looking at the link I see your point Berberis. I know one of the women from QT (Jo Swinson), plus those two.

Yes I thought this too... I also counted the seconds until he said 'Just a penny in the pound' every 3 minutes. Whether good idea or not, I thought mentioning this is a perceived 'plus-point' for voting for him was also wrong tactic. I think the party has just slightly shifted to the left with some of these things (certainly left of the old NEW Labour), and it doesn't look like their is room for this party now.

I said after the last Labour defeat that with some replanning they could potentially sweep up if made up a new party of the anti-corbyn Labourites - that's what I'd have done. I don't think they got things right this time.

I think that resigning because of his religion is daft; he obviously has no confidence in his views if it has made him resign.

He must've known that issues such as homosexuality and abortion would put him in a difficult position.

He has been a victim of the media's selective outrage, and I don't even like the man.

Pearl necklace clutching about his attitude to gay marriage? There are communities where just being gay is a hot potato, let alone gay marriage.

However I don't remember any MP from these communities getting put through the wringer like Farron was, with repeated questions on their attitude to gay marriage, and I don't expect to see it anytime soon either.

Farron's treatment just exposes the hypocrisy and double standards of our media.

He has been a victim of the media's selective outrage, and I don't even like the man.

Pearl necklace clutching about his attitude to gay marriage? There are communities where just being gay is a hot potato, let alone gay marriage.

However I don't remember any MP from these communities getting put through the wringer like Farron was, with repeated questions on their attitude to gay marriage, and I don't expect to see it anytime soon either.

Farron's treatment just exposes the hypocrisy and double standards of our media.

Well I've said this for a long time, and impartially too. I found the whole press team hassling JC outside his house everyday was a disgrace. Who the heck are going to aspire to be politicians knowing 24 hour watching for things. We'll end up with Kerry Katona type people in future.