The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

37 minutes ago, max said:

Was anybody talking about councillors delivering leaflets? The whole issue is around non-councillors delivering leaflets during a national lockdown.

yes they were. They said councillors can deliver election leaflets, but non-councillors cannot. So clearly a large asymmetry there whereby the current councillor can spam households as much as they like and rival candidates cannot. If its not safe why are councillors allowed to do it? Either its safe or its not. In the former case all candidates should be allowed to do leafletting.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

yes they were. They said councillors can deliver election leaflets, but non-councillors cannot. So clearly a large asymmetry there whereby the current councillor can spam households as much as they like and rival candidates cannot. If its not safe why are councillors allowed to do it? Either its safe or its not. In the former case all candidates should be allowed to do leafletting.

I have been out volunteering, collecting litter. But not allowed to deliver political leaflets, take away leaflets are ok.

28 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I have been out volunteering, collecting litter. But not allowed to deliver political leaflets, take away leaflets are ok.

Farcical -both end up in my recycling, but surely the deliverers could count this as 'daily exercise'. Why the ban on political leaflets - someone think they carry the CV19 virus?

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

As someone else said, not me, communicating with their constituents is part of a councillor's job.

52 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Takeaway leaflets are usually done by paid contractors, nothing to do with one type of leaflet being allowed but not the other.

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Farcical -both end up in my recycling, but surely the deliverers could count this as 'daily exercise'. Why the ban on political leaflets - someone think they carry the CV19 virus?

Is the ban based on logical reasoning, or is it political, the Government only wanting the people to hear from those with deep pockets?

23 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

There is no ban on political leaflets it's just that you should only deliver any type of leaflet if it's your job.

2 minutes ago, max said:

As someone else said, not me, communicating with their constituents is part of a councillor's job.

Takeaway leaflets are usually done by paid contractors, nothing to do with one type of leaflet being allowed but not the other.

Quite often just one person delivering one or two leaflets. Surely of political partys can campaign online, take aways can be online too. There is a online 'Just Eat' we also have a online local 'just eat'.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Is the ban based on logical reasoning, or is it political, the Government only wanting the people to hear from those with deep pockets?

Simple answer - it is not logical - nor, probably your more cynical thought. Most likely some civil servants ' interpretation' of the 'rule'.

1 hour ago, max said:

There is no ban on political leaflets it's just that you should only deliver any type of leaflet if it's your job.

And your response to my 'daily exercise' suggestion??

Edited by RollingJ

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Simple answer - it is not logical - nor, probably your more cynical thought. Most likely some civil servants ' interpretation' of the 'rule'.

Contact the people who have put together the Covid-19 regulations.

36 minutes ago, max said:

Contact the people who have put together the Covid-19 regulations.

Seeing as they seem to move the goalposts on a regular basis, I wouldn't have much faith in their answers, TBH - they're floundering.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

That is what makes me think its political. When they specifically brought in this rule, I thought it was a sign that the local elections would be postponed. Not easy to get 10 nomination signitures when you are not allowed out of your house.

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

That is what makes me think its political. When they specifically brought in this rule, I thought it was a sign that the local elections would be postponed. Not easy to get 10 nomination signitures when you are not allowed out of your house.

IF it is, it's a bit blatant, but I still think it is some brain-dead civil servant throwing his/her weight around.