The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I am really in the middle and I believe policies on the light and right could work given a chance. I drive a minibus for a local authority, they have in-house buses and private.

Both private and in-house works. The Tories, more so Boris, look after the rich, but they also need to look after the poor to get votes.

I concider myself slightly more rightwing, but I would very much favour Labour for a mixed economy and social justice.

I do believe in the Liberal Democrats, but is there any party that can 'break through'?

My bold.  

I'll fetch a fence & a cushion.  

38 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Very true, but it's not logically impossible for some of the propaganda sometimes to be in favour of policies that benefit the impoverished.  Up to a point, that did happen in the post-war years, or in FDR's America.

With someone like Marcus Rashford perhaps, but Corbyn was vilified by the media. I dont think any LD MPs has Rashfords status. And it will take a leader with that clout to achieve any swing in the polls.

Here a summary of Ed Davey's voting record: 

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10155/edward_davey/kingston_and_surbiton/votes

Well straight away he's lost 17 million+ voters on his live for the EU.  We're often told there are millions on the breadline & then there's those who are unable to work because of disability.   We'll Davey clearly doesn't want to help those voters who are affected in such ways. 

"Almost always voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed."   No doubt he'll be chasing the youth vote, come the next election? 

If this was Boris or any grassroots Tory backbencher, people would be falling over themselves to condem them. 

His voting record is not unlike that of the woman who led them a while back?  No, I can't recall her name either? 

Edited by Baron99

On 31/01/2021 at 10:51, melthebell said:

I forgot they even existed, they seem quiet

They exist all right, they've been spotted delivering leaflets in Mosborough and Grenoside. Must be essential travel, can't imagine they'd break lock down rules.

Got to say the LD are the only party who regularly post their material, not just when an election looms ....

2 hours ago, max said:

They exist all right, they've been spotted delivering leaflets in Mosborough and Grenoside. Must be essential travel, can't imagine they'd break lock down rules.

I understand Councillors are allowed to deliver leaflets, because that is classed as work, but not volunteers. I have had independents delivering leaflets about a planning application in my area.

Democracy is important, but perhaps it will have to wait a few weeks.

12 hours ago, El Cid said:

I understand Councillors are allowed to deliver leaflets, because that is classed as work, but not volunteers. I have had independents delivering leaflets about a planning application in my area.

Possibly true abut councillors but certainly not for candidates or volunteers.

We've been told it's OK if you pay for the delivery of leaflets but not to do them ourselves.

I have a couple of friends who have been out with the planning application leaflets but that's on behalf of a pressure group not a political one. I have warned them that they are opening themselves up to fines but they seem willing to take the risk. They did ask if they could double up with party leaflets but I told them that that's a big no.

15 hours ago, peteh1 said:

Got to say the LD are the only party who regularly post their material, not just when an election looms ....

If they are posting them then it's to a small number of voters who have probably indicated that they are LD supporters. A post out to all 7,000+ houses in a ward would be prohibitively expensive for most  political parties.

7 minutes ago, max said:

If they are posting them then it's to a small number of voters who have probably indicated that they are LD supporters. A post out to all 7,000+ houses in a ward would be prohibitively expensive for most  political parties.

Surely all partys have supporters that are willing to leaflet all year round, in non covid times. Thats if they have something to say, like planning of just giving people a source of local news, now that the local news papers are failing.

Edited by El Cid

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Surely all partys have supporters that are willing to leaflet all year round, in non covid times. Thats if they have something to say, like planning of just giving people a source of local news, now that the local news papers are failing.

You'd like to think so but with over 7,000 leaflets in Stannington the most we can expect our volunteers to do is 2 leaflets a year. We try and get to every household unlike another party who only deliver in the privately owned areas.

However, peteh1 referred to the LDs posting their material which is an expensive way of communicating. They used to hand deliver a lot of leaflets but that was when they had an MP footing the bill, not so much now.

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

Well thats fair then. Labour councillors can deliver as many leaflets as they like. But not only can incumbents not do that the labour councillors report them to the police if they do it!

btw they also threatened to report the green candidate in my area for violating lockdown when he commented on issues he had seen in the area. Turns out he saw them on his daily exercise walk.

Edited by nightrider

47 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Well thats fair then. Labour councillors can deliver as many leaflets as they like. But not only can incumbents not do that the labour councillors report them to the police if they do it!

btw they also threatened to report the green candidate in my area for violating lockdown when he commented on issues he had seen in the area. Turns out he saw them on his daily exercise walk.

Was anybody talking about councillors delivering leaflets? The whole issue is around non-councillors delivering leaflets during a national lockdown.