The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

On 16/06/2020 at 08:00, Ridgewalk said:

Didn’t realise the Lib Dems still existed. Shouldn’t this thread be in the Archives section alongside 19 century writers ?

I'll drag them back out of obscurity, Ridgewalk. 

I see that Sir Ed Davey has been voted the new Lib Dem leader for this year. 

There we go.  We can file them away again, back in their box at the back of the political wardrobe, until their next leadership battle. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I'll drag them back out of obscurity, Ridgewalk. 

I see that Sir Ed Davey has been voted the new Lib Dem leader for this year. 

There we go.  We can file them away again, back in their box at the back of the political wardrobe, until their next leadership battle. 

Boris will be the next leader to go. Davey will bring stability untill the Conservatives either fall apart or regroup.

Just watched Sir Ed doing lengthy interviews on both the BBC & Sky news, going on about how the Lin Dems must start to listen & engage with the UK electorate again & gain their trust.  He was also pontificating about how proud of the things he personally achieved during his time as part of the coalition government, such as leading environmental issues.  Great! 

The in both interviews he was as a least twice by the interviewers was he proud or did he regret voting for benefit cuts & increasing student tuition fees & that there were 2 sections of the UK electorate that he'd probably already managed to alienate?  His response was to totally ignore answering this personal question, somehow managing, (being allowed to dodge by the interviewers), to avoid answering the the question but turning it around to blaming the current government about COVID-19 issues. 

Think on his voting record of being in favour of welfare benefit cuts & increasing student tuition fees, we've already found his Achilles heel?  Interviewers have just got to pin him down on it. 

32 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The in both interviews he was as a least twice by the interviewers was he proud or did he regret voting for benefit cuts & increasing student tuition fees & that there were 2 sections of the UK electorate that he'd probably already managed to alienate?  His response was to totally ignore answering this personal question, somehow managing, (being allowed to dodge by the interviewers), to avoid answering the the question but turning it around to blaming the current government about COVID-19 issues. 

Think on his voting record of being in favour of welfare benefit cuts & increasing student tuition fees, we've already found his Achilles heel?  Interviewers have just got to pin him down on it. 

If you asked this Government, if they regret causing the harm by the austerity due to the debt we are in now, what do you they they will say?

The economy is in dire shape, Government borrowing at a record high - compared to other countries.

We were in debt at that time, as we are now. My daughter is going to uni this year, I dont have a problem with her repaying the student loan if she does well.

Perhaps there could be a better system. The issue was that the Liberal Democrats broke their promise, but the Conservative also broke many promises. The keep net immigration below 100,000 is an obvious one. There are many more.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-camerons-broken-promises

May and Johnson have broken promises too, but Johnson is not a serious politician.

We certainly have a problem at a time when Britain could do with a real leader.

Johnson is useless and always  2 weeks behind everyone else's thinking hence, so many U turns.  Add to that that he's a born liar who would swear that black was white.

Starmer plays safe and has too little to say, echoing Corbyn's refusal to get off the wall and say where he stands when we need someone with vision and ideas.

Davey has already proved what an untrustworthy individual he is during the coalition and the rest of the Lib Dems are the same, even wanting to refuse the leave Europe vote.

When will we have a politician who will stop playing politics and instead of calling down everything the other parties do, actually tell us what they would do if they were in office.

This should include an explanation of how every promise would be paid for.

The Tories, Labour and the LIb Dems have all taken turns to run down this great country which was a world leader (not Boris's kind) with the never ending buy everything from abroad

and sell off all British industry.

Why do the Chinese lead in all modern technology? Are all our scientists and engineers useless?  I don't believe that. It's just that the country will not pay for their talents.

Every ex government minister  since Thatchers day should hang their heads in shame and we should look for someone who really believes in Britain and puts his money where his mouth is.

Why do we even buy PPE from China, the country responsible for the virus in the first place?  Is it too technical for us to make our own?

At least, in the second world war, we didn't pay Hitler for the bombs he dropped on us..

Three cheers for Great Britain when we finally get going again.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

We certainly have a problem at a time when Britain could do with a real leader.

Johnson is useless and always  2 weeks behind everyone else's thinking hence, so many U turns.  Add to that that he's a born liar who would swear that black was white.

Starmer plays safe and has too little to say, echoing Corbyn's refusal to get off the wall and say where he stands when we need someone with vision and ideas.

Davey has already proved what an untrustworthy individual he is during the coalition and the rest of the Lib Dems are the same, even wanting to refuse the leave Europe vote.

When will we have a politician who will stop playing politics and instead of calling down everything the other parties do, actually tell us what they would do if they were in office.

This should include an explanation of how every promise would be paid for.

The Tories, Labour and the LIb Dems have all taken turns to run down this great country which was a world leader (not Boris's kind) with the never ending buy everything from abroad

and sell off all British industry.

Why do the Chinese lead in all modern technology? Are all our scientists and engineers useless?  I don't believe that. It's just that the country will not pay for their talents.

Every ex government minister  since Thatchers day should hang their heads in shame and we should look for someone who really believes in Britain and puts his money where his mouth is.

Why do we even buy PPE from China, the country responsible for the virus in the first place?  Is it too technical for us to make our own?

At least, in the second world war, we didn't pay Hitler for the bombs he dropped on us..

Three cheers for Great Britain when we finally get going again.

My bold. 

Sky's Gillian Joseph couldn't even get a straight answer out of Davey when he was asked, "Would you like to be Prime Minister?" 

We all know it's never going to happen for him but we all know that it's the ultimate ambition of even the most useless backbencher, so there would be no shame in a simple, 'Yes.'  It's not really a loaded question. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Sky's Gillian Joseph couldn't even get a straight answer out of Davey when he was asked, "Would you like to be Prime Minister?" 

We all know it's never going to happen for him but we all know that it's the ultimate ambition of even the most useless backbencher, so there would be no shame in a simple, 'Yes.'  It's not really a loaded question.

It is for anyone in one of the minor parties. It would immediately be followed by "The first past the post system means that's not going to happen whilst you're in your current party so which one are going to move to?"

Where to next for the Liberal Democrats?

Would you people be happy to see a two party state, with only the choice of Labour or Conservative?

If myself, or anyone else should jump ship, should we go to Labour or Conservative?

52 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

A two-party state would be better than the current one-party version.

I can see that, but my thoughts are that it will be like democracy in the USA.

I have voted Lib Dem in the past but I think they are a total irrelevance now.

I would struggle to pick out the leader in a line-up  such is my disinterest in what they have to say.

It’s not so the coalition that did it for me, more their leadership afterwards.

Also what’s the point in voting for a party with so few seats that has no chance of having any influence - it’s a wasted vote in that regards.

I can’t see anyway back for them.

12 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Tories or 'New' Labour, if you're a neoliberal 'Orange Book' Lib Dem.  Greens if you're more of an old-fashioned Social Liberal.

I am really in the middle and I believe policies on the light and right could work given a chance. I drive a minibus for a local authority, they have in-house buses and private.

Both private and in-house works. The Tories, more so Boris, look after the rich, but they also need to look after the poor to get votes.

I concider myself slightly more rightwing, but I would very much favour Labour for a mixed economy and social justice.

11 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

I can’t see anyway back for them.

I do believe in the Liberal Democrats, but is there any party that can 'break through'?

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am really in the middle and I believe policies on the light and right could work given a chance. I drive a minibus for a local authority, they have in-house buses and private.

Both private and in-house works. The Tories, more so Boris, look after the rich, but they also need to look after the poor to get votes.

I concider myself slightly more rightwing, but I would very much favour Labour for a mixed economy and social justice.

The evidence is that they don't.

Clearly, propaganda is enough to get the impoverished vote.

T'was ever thus.