The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

46 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Jo Swinson started the general election campaign as a potential Prime Minister.

Now after the election has finished she’s a potential MP.

The ruling class tried to smash a democratic vote - the voters smashed them in return.

I think you'll find the ruling class actually won the election, unless you consider De Pffefel Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al members of the working class.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Jo Swinson, when a member of the coalition government, voted to introduce Universal Credit and Personal Independence Payments and to restrict housing benefit for those in social housing deemed to have excess bedrooms.

Voters blame the Liberal Democrats for forming a better Governemnt than the 2015 and 2017 ones? It seems that the DUP have suffered too, whilst the Tories triumph.

She came over as a hectoring school mistress. The end, oh, and her end as well.

Angel1.

Every single vote for the Liberal Democrats was, in reality, a vote for a Tory government and for Brexit.

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Every single vote for the Liberal Democrats was, in reality, a vote for a Tory government and for Brexit.

Only in your mind sunshine.

If I lived in a constituency where the Lib Dems had a better chance of beating the Tories than Labour I might well have voted Lib Dem.

Anyway - aren't you pleased people voted for Brexit - I seem to recall a number of posts where you were celebrating it 😎

A few examples;

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/469438-consequences-of-brexit-part-8-read-first-post-before-posting/page/333/?tab=comments#comment-8311062

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/469438-consequences-of-brexit-part-8-read-first-post-before-posting/page/333/?tab=comments#comment-8311050

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/469438-consequences-of-brexit-part-8-read-first-post-before-posting/page/333/?tab=comments#comment-8311041

Interesting to see the Lib Dems blaming a hard left Labour for their defeat today in the Metro.

I don't understand this.  If you've got a hard Left and a hard right, surely the centrist votes are ripe for the picking?  They certainly got mine.

Edited by alchresearch

On 14/12/2019 at 18:14, Car Boot said:

By that assumption then (even though the Libs were the only party out of the 3 to have the nuts to say they would stop Brexit) the Tories got 17 and half Million votes or 55% of the voting 

That's a pretty clear win. 

6 hours ago, sheffbag said:

By that assumption then (even though the Libs were the only party out of the 3 to have the nuts to say they would stop Brexit) the Tories got 17 and half Million votes or 55% of the voting 

That's a pretty clear win. 

Fakes news, or a slip of your finger?

They got 43.6% of the votes,  13,966,565 votes out of an adult population of 52 million, is that around 30%?

The BBC says there are 47,587,254  registered voters, the Conservatives got 13,966,451

Edited by El Cid

Really? REALLY? 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jo-swinson-could-parachuted-house-21101824.amp#aoh=15765221221219&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Reward for failure?

Well I suppose they already have form with Clegg. 

Edited by Baron99

Yep. Liberal Democrats voters in this election effectively voted Conservative.

The Liberal Democrats should now do the honourable thing and disband. They are just enablers for the Tory Party.

Yellow Tory voters, Boris thanks you for getting his party into government and electing him Prime Minister.

Yellow Tories even made it possible he stays in power for five years.

Edited by Car Boot

15 hours ago, El Cid said:

Fakes news, or a slip of your finger?

They got 43.6% of the votes,  13,966,565 votes out of an adult population of 52 million, is that around 30%?

The BBC says there are 47,587,254  registered voters, the Conservatives got 13,966,451

You did read the post i was quoting from Car Boot didnt you?

The one where he said that all the Lib dem votes were essentially a vote for the Tories and Brexit (as i pointed out, the Libs were the only party to say they were blocking Brexit so why he thinks that i don't know). So taking Car Boots assumption that all Lib Dems are really Tories (as per 3 posts on this page alone) then the Tories (in Car Boots world) got 17 and half million votes or 55% or the vote

So no, not fake(s) news and not a slip of the finger. Just a response to a post. 

Mind you 43.6% is still the highest for 40 years isnt it? not bad going for a buffoon and really shows how bad JC as a leader was that he managed to lose so many seats and has lost elections to the 2 worst PM's in modern history

Edited by sheffbag