The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

One of their MPs resigned the whip because he stood on getting Brexit done, as Boris would say.

Conservative MPs were sacked for not following Boris Johnsons order to back Brexit.

Whereas Labour, if you critisized Isreal you will be booted out, anything else is perfectly ok.

You have really no idea do you. Come on... Tell us how many labour mps have been booted out for criticising Israel. 

8 hours ago, Car Boot said:

General Election 2019: Liberal Democrats line up new candidate Claire Malcolmson to replace Tim Walker in Canterbury

"The Liberal Democrats have lined up a new candidate for Canterbury less than 24 hours after their parliamentary hopeful stepped down. Claire Malcolmson, a councillor in Mole Valley, Dorking, is set to replace the ex-candidate Tim Walker. He unexpectedly quit the race yesterday saying he wanted to give the Labour candidate Rosie Duffield the best chance of retaining the seat she won in 2017 against the odds. Canterbury constituency chairman Nigel Whitburn said: "Yes, she's going to be signing nomination forms, which we've got to get done and in by tomorrow. There's a split locally about what should be happening, but the majority of members say we should be putting up a candidate. Obviously at such short notice there was a limited choice."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/lib-dems-line-up-new-candidate-for-city-216166/

The new totalitarian aggressive Jo Swinson Lib Dems are also taking disciplinary action against any of their candidates who refuse to split the Remain vote at the general election.

Whereas you will vote Tory because you believe in Brexit 

Jo Swinson and her strong team of life long dedicated Liberal Democrats such as Chuka Umunna, Sarah Wollaston, Luciana Berger, Heidi Allen and Sam Gyimah all promoting everlasting austerity which would make a Tory blush.

Didn't the Lib Dems support for economic austerity help to end the lives of enough vulnerable and disadvantaged people the last time they were in office?

Apart from the Brexit issue, voting Liberal Democrat is the same as voting Tory.

15 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Apart from the Brexit issue, voting Liberal Democrat is the same as voting Tory.

Oh is that all? Can you really say "Apart from Brexit" like it don't matter.

As Hallam constituency voter, I'm thinking of voting LibDem to stop Brexit and punish Labour for a bad choice of candidate (polite description)

Edited by Flanker7

Yeah, damn those lib-dems.

Massive increase in the personal tax allowance

referendum on electoral reform

£600/ year reduction in student loan payments

etc. I could go on, but the lib-dems are the bad guys, right?

(I’ll be voting labour, or green)

Edited by ads36

37 minutes ago, ads36 said:

To some blinkered individuals they'll always be for being in the coalition in 2010.

Another good one which makes me chuckle are when they call them "Yellow Tories".    

Along with Blair's "Tory Lite" and the real Tories, perhaps the old red left Labour need to realise that their style of politics is dead.

On 26/11/2019 at 10:09, alchresearch said:

Another good one which makes me chuckle are when they call them "Yellow Tories".    

The Liberal Democrats would give councils the right to end 'right to buy'.  Something the Conservatives could not do, although its much needed.

On 26/11/2019 at 09:30, ads36 said:

Yeah, damn those lib-dems.

Massive increase in the personal tax allowance

referendum on electoral reform

£600/ year reduction in student loan payments

(I’ll be voting labour, or green)

Yeah, those Yellow Tories who along with their Blue Tory buddies enabled:

Massive decreases in Tax Credits and Child Tax credits for the very poorest which far outweighed any increases in the Personal Tax free Allowance - especially to those who didn't earn enough to benefit from the full tax free Allowance.

Students leaving University owing £55,000 plus thanks to those Yellow Tories who had promised absolutely NO tuition fees.

Voting for harsh austerity measures that cost tens of thousands of lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people, and are still killing people today.

Supporting extremely harsh benefit sanctions on the poorest in exchange for the Tories putting a 5p plastic bag charge in place, again to hurt the poorest.

The last time the 'Orange Bookers' were in power they ensured that a financial crisis created by bankers and speculators was paid for by public sector workers and benefit claimants.

The Liberal Democrats are most definitely the bad guys and gals.

Edited by Car Boot

Let's not forget Liberal Democrat Deputy Leader Ed Davey, who as Employment Minister doubled the qualifying period for unfair dismissal for workers from 12 to 24 months. 

Liberal Democrat Leader Jo Swinson, after becoming Employment Minister in 2012, also delivered a Liberal Democrat fair deal for workers by introducing charges of up to £1,200 for the privilege of a worker attending an employment tribunal, on top of the two year qualifying period. In 2017 the Supreme Court decided Swinson’s fees scheme “prevents access to justice and is therefore unlawful.”

The Liberal Democrats love the EU, but hate the worker. 

On 26/11/2019 at 10:09, alchresearch said:

To some blinkered individuals they'll always be for being in the coalition in 2010.

Along with Blair's "Tory Lite" and the real Tories, perhaps the old red left Labour need to realise that their style of politics is dead.

It might have been dead in the Blairite days of 'We're all middle class now,' but the Tories austerity program has done huge damage to the working class, so we're difinately no longer all middle class now.

Over the last few years I have seen things I wouldn't believe happen to the working class and disabled. Hard fought for things which I took for ganted as a given, like free education and health care have been rolled back, and battles long since won will have to be fought for again. Social mobility has ground to a halt. Services have been cut back so badly that people are dying as a result. Privatisation has crept into things which were never designed for profit making, so we now have to pay upwards of £1,000 a week for carehomes, more than the elderly have ever earned in their lives, schools are kept short of funds so that shareholders can profit, and now the whole NHS is under threat. We have lost control of our Utilities like water; the shareholders want profits at the expense of repairs and investment so leaking pipes abound. And so on, and so on. The Blairites did nothing to stop this, and in some cases collaborated with the Tories to make it happen. It is no coincidence that Blair and several of his cronies went on to be a multi-millionaires with cosy jobs on the board of directors etc. The rich have got considerably richer, while the poor have got poorer.

So yes, we do need something of the 'old style of politics' back, so that these things can be redressed, (which a Blairitet ype Labour would never have done,) Jeremy Corbyn is determined to do this, and is being fought every step of the way by an Establishment Elite who prefer things just the way they are thankyou. After all they are the one's born to rule over us and have an overweening sense of entitlement. We are meant to work for them, not challenge them. We should know our place.

Jeremy Corbyn, for the many, not the few.     

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

The Liberal Democrats would give councils the right to end 'right to buy'.  Something the Conservatives could not do, although its much needed.

I may be mistaken but a while ago weren't you buying your council property?