The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

And we are still totally bereft of your proof of this.... but you dont appear to do proof do you just bluster and propoganda.

Well, considering the Lib Dems were all but wiped out at the following General Election, they certainly got the blame.

Even  Leader Nick Clegg lost his seat.

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Liberal Democrats accused of 'intentionally misinforming' voters with campaign leaflets

The Liberal Democrats have been accused of "intentionally misinforming" voters after publishing a series of misleading election campaign leaflets. Leaflets sent out by the Lib Dems in their target seat of Putney cite "YouGov polling for Putney" showing the party level-pegging in the seat with the Conservatives. However, a spokesperson for the pollsters YouGov told Business Insider that they had not carried out any polling in the constituency and "would not defend" how it had been presented in the leaflet.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lib-dems-accused-of-intentionally-misinforming-voters-with-leaflets-2019-11

Beware Lib Dem election leaflets. This party will stop at nothing to get back their ministerial cars.

You will rightfully condemn the edited video of fake news the Tories did of Keir Starmer on GMB right?

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Well, considering the Lib Dems were all but wiped out at the following General Election, they certainly got the blame.

that doesnt make it true though....just like the "facts" for brexit, just cos the general public believe them, doesnt mean they are true. after the Lib dems joined the coalition they were locked in a cupboard by the tories, i said it at the time ill say it now, the vast majority of "ideas" came from the tories.

36 minutes ago, melthebell said:

that doesnt make it true though....just like the "facts" for brexit, just cos the general public believe them, doesnt mean they are true. after the Lib dems joined the coalition they were locked in a cupboard by the tories, i said it at the time ill say it now, the vast majority of "ideas" came from the tories.

The only policy of significance that have come from the Lib Dems at the time was the AV referendum. 

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

That has been proved to be a massive mistake, namely Jared O'mara

3 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

The only policy of significance that have come from the Lib Dems at the time was the AV referendum. 

Not really as the Lib Dems always favoured PR and not AV. AV was a compromise for the Lib Dems and something Cameron wanted rather than PR. Clegg infamously stated it was "a miserable little compromise" and loved by no one. I think Cameron gambled on it being rejected in that referendum and that time also got it right.

Edited by apelike

8 hours ago, apelike said:

Not really as the Lib Dems always favoured PR and not AV. AV was a compromise for the Lib Dems and something Cameron wanted rather than PR. Clegg infamously stated it was "a miserable little compromise" and loved by no one. I think Cameron gambled on it being rejected in that referendum and that time also got it right.

Too true, and so like Cameron to switch to AV which nobody wanted thus moving the goalposts.  Of course it was a tactical move by Cameron intended to fail, and the Lib Dems certainly paid the price.

But it did backfire in the end, because Cameron then had to honour his promise to hold a referendum, and he was so tightly pinned down he couldn't wriggle out of it (including the wording of it, a simple in or out.) Nobody mentioned anything about a deal. The unexpected result has thrown the Tories into chaos with no way out.  

2010: Liberal Democrats 100 per cent opposed to tuition Fees and the Tories.

2019: Liberal Democrats 100 per cent opposed to Brexit and the Tories.

It is now PERFECTLY clear that Jo Swinson, the Lib Dem Leader, has no interest in stopping Brexit but she does want to fill Nick Cleggs Deputy Prime Minister shoes by supporting a hard right Tory government (then onto a £multi-million salary job just like man of the people Cleggy).

Some things never change. 

Edited by Car Boot

the lib dems were opposed to tuition fees, but they were in favour of a graduate tax.

the revised fees, and repayment criteria, mean that graduates under the new system, pay back £50* / month less than under the old system. * i think it's even more than that now.

£50/month = £600/year.

the point at which student fees/debts were so large that the average graduate will never pay them off, was passed long before anyone heard of Nick Clegg.

i graduated in 2002, i've got a decent job, and i'll never clear my debt.  Can i transfer my debt to the new system please? it'll save me £50/month.

a vote for the lib dems was a vote for a graduate tax, we didn't get that, but it got a lot closer. 

(the new system, gets more money back from very successful graduates, because they have to pay for longer. Lower earning graduates have to pay back less. it's a very progressive system. Actually one that the Lib Dems can be quite proud of.)

Edited by ads36

General Election 2019: Liberal Democrats line up new candidate Claire Malcolmson to replace Tim Walker in Canterbury

"The Liberal Democrats have lined up a new candidate for Canterbury less than 24 hours after their parliamentary hopeful stepped down. Claire Malcolmson, a councillor in Mole Valley, Dorking, is set to replace the ex-candidate Tim Walker. He unexpectedly quit the race yesterday saying he wanted to give the Labour candidate Rosie Duffield the best chance of retaining the seat she won in 2017 against the odds. Canterbury constituency chairman Nigel Whitburn said: "Yes, she's going to be signing nomination forms, which we've got to get done and in by tomorrow. There's a split locally about what should be happening, but the majority of members say we should be putting up a candidate. Obviously at such short notice there was a limited choice."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/lib-dems-line-up-new-candidate-for-city-216166/

The new totalitarian aggressive Jo Swinson Lib Dems are also taking disciplinary action against any of their candidates who refuse to split the Remain vote at the general election.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

General Election 2019: Liberal Democrats line up new candidate Claire Malcolmson to replace Tim Walker in Canterbury

"The Liberal Democrats have lined up a new candidate for Canterbury less than 24 hours after their parliamentary hopeful stepped down. Claire Malcolmson, a councillor in Mole Valley, Dorking, is set to replace the ex-candidate Tim Walker. He unexpectedly quit the race yesterday saying he wanted to give the Labour candidate Rosie Duffield the best chance of retaining the seat she won in 2017 against the odds. Canterbury constituency chairman Nigel Whitburn said: "Yes, she's going to be signing nomination forms, which we've got to get done and in by tomorrow. There's a split locally about what should be happening, but the majority of members say we should be putting up a candidate. Obviously at such short notice there was a limited choice."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/lib-dems-line-up-new-candidate-for-city-216166/

The new totalitarian aggressive Jo Swinson Lib Dems are also taking disciplinary action against any of their candidates who refuse to split the Remain vote at the general election.

Given that you've been pushing Brexit for the last 6 months or so, why the sudden concern about splitting the Remain vote?

6 hours ago, Car Boot said:

One of their MPs resigned the whip because he stood on getting Brexit done, as Boris would say.

Conservative MPs were sacked for not following Boris Johnsons order to back Brexit.

Whereas Labour, if you critisized Isreal you will be booted out, anything else is perfectly ok.