The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

Angel1.

Lol, which means he gave you actual facts but you don't like them

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

I've never really understood what Liberal Democrats are. What do they stand for?

Do they have to 'stand' for anything?

The Conservative are funded mostly by the rich, so their policies are focused with a bias towards the rich, Labour on the otherhand were a party that policies moved with the times, but their policies now reflect a left idealism.

The Liberal Democrats don't have any idealism or sector of society that they have to follow.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Do they have to 'stand' for anything?

The Conservative are funded mostly by the rich, so their policies are focused with a bias towards the rich, Labour on the otherhand were a party that policies moved with the times, but their policies now reflect a left idealism.

The Liberal Democrats don't have any idealism or sector of society that they have to follow.

In other words, they're pointless.

12 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Given the sea of absolute ****e that are the two main parties, they are just what we need. I see them as Tory-lite, and to an extent, labour-lite. They have said they’ll revoke article 50. That will do for me.

53 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You dont understand what they stand for, so you have made up your mind?

You are clearly an individual suited to the left vs right politics.

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You dont understand what they stand for, so you have made up your mind?

You are clearly an individual suited to the left vs right politics.

I think that Halibut, as a Corbyn supporter, is just trying to denigrate the Lib Dems as he sees them as a threat. The fact is that both Labour and the Conservatives do better electorally when they are more centrist - under our current electoral system it's the centrist voters that cause us to flip from one to the other. With both Labour and the Conservatives heading off to the extremes, it's inevitable that the Lib Dems will do better. If we had an electoral system that reflected the views of the population rather than reinforcing a two party system that change would be permanent.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

If you bothered to read their manifesto then you would be better informed. They really are the go-to party if you’re a centrist. If you’re a racist xenophobe then you vote Tory. If you’re an unreasonably left leaning communist then vote Labour. 

Do they have to stand for anything?

Well, IMO, yes they do.  We need progressive ideas and plans to tackle the problems of the nation.

They stand for membership of the EU, don't they. If there is a coherent ideological thread that runs through their manifesto all the better.

I asked this very question of LibDem chap at my door last year. All he could say was that Liberal means giving and that was about it.

or are we all going to stand in circle, hold hands and love the world in all its forms.

7 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Just to look at my post you have replied to, which part of it is not basically factual.  Boris IS the PM and does have the shout, (makes the decisions). Umuna Is a party swapping no body, with no shout whatsoever.  These Party swapping politicians are self serving, that's as clear as crystal. As we are a supposedly democratic society, all these party shifters SHOULD stand for a by election, but they will not, parasites contrubuting nothing, but taking the 77k and expenses.

Odd that any one who has the temerity to have a different view to you and your acolytes on the forum is either a troll, a liar or a complete fruit loop. GOOD, it means you and your like minded anti British anti democratic posters are rattled.

Angel1.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel as someone once said.

Also if bojo is so big and hard and gets the shout you'd think parliament stopping brexit would be no issue ... But you don't get that do you.

Now take your claptrap to a more appropriate thread before it gets reported

The Green's  Caroline Lucas doesn't care much for Swinson's idea of simply rejecting Article 50 & ignoring 17 million plus voters. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/18/caroline-lucas-lib-dems-revoke-and-remain-stance-brexit-is-arrogant#aoh=15691878816382&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Lucas; "I certainly think that the Lib Dem way out is arrogant, self-indulgent, cynical and very dangerous."

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

And more fence-sitting form Swinson on nationalism

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17920043.jo-swinson-scottish-nationalism-english-nationalism/

These Lib Dems must keep Preparation H going as a company! 

No we leave that sort of thing to others thanks. I think the policy is perfectly clear on Brexit.

Did you have a point to make?