The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

Lib Dems held their seat in my ward, with an increased majority, but a drop of 14% of votes.

Labour vote collapsed by 26%, Tory vote decimated by 46%, UKIP up a staggering 121%.

Total turnout down 4.7%

Congrats to the Lib Dems who were the only party who actively went out and engaged with the public.

Lib Dems need to get inside with the students and gain their trust

If they do this they could make serious gains at the next election

10 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Absolutely. Time to stop punishing them for the coalition.

Presumably you think it's time to stop punishing Labour for the global banking crisis over 10 years ago?

14 hours ago, Longcol said:

Presumably you think it's time to stop punishing Labour for the global banking crisis over 10 years ago?

Many Liberal Democrats would now see that entering a coalition would be very risky and not advisable, whereas Labour still believe in the same magic money tree.

18 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Many Liberal Democrats would now see that entering a coalition would be very risky and not advisable, whereas Labour still believe in the same magic money tree.

The magic money tree is real. Just ask Hammond and Osborn.

On 03/05/2019 at 22:55, Longcol said:

I'd say they were more punished for their poor handling of it.  

Gold: Gordon Brown's sale remains controversial 20 years on

It was called one of the worst investment decisions of all time.

Twenty years ago on Tuesday, then Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown said he was selling tonnes of Britain's gold reserves. Trouble was, his timing could barely have been worse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48177767

The trouble is the time to forgive is overshadowed by Corbyn.

On 03/05/2019 at 22:55, Longcol said:

Thing is the lib dems Coalition nonsense was a while ago. We don't need to forget labour and the banking crisis as they are showing they are useless right now

9 hours ago, Obelix said:

Ah eventually. He took long enough

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48631116

Good on Chuka for doing this. A number of us have been on the same journey since the 2016 referendum. Fed up with the sheer unadulterated tribalism, spitefulness and failure to face up to reality from the main two parties. 

He should have done it at the start.   I'm sure we all believe that the UK does new a new political party.

But when push comes to shove we find it hard to leave the usual established parties.    I liked the idea of Change UK but I knew any vote for them would be wasted, so I went with the Lib Dems.

13 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

He should have done it at the start.   I'm sure we all believe that the UK does new a new political party.

But when push comes to shove we find it hard to leave the usual established parties.    I liked the idea of Change UK but I knew any vote for them would be wasted, so I went with the Lib Dems.

I dont know who runs PR for the lib dems but given we are led to believe more people want to remain, and them and greens are remain parties, they want sacking. The lib dems hould be flying high, maybe new leadership will help.

Chuka can't seem to make his mind up what he wants to do.  He put his name forward for leadership of the Labour Party and withdrew when considered  to be a strong candidate.  He was one of the main instigators behind the Change Party then changed his mind at the first set back.  At least Anna Soubry is  still giving it a go.

Edited by Lockdoctor