The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

Its just a survival instinct to want to get rid of him now, if they loose votes in the GE like these locals because he is leader then the party may take decades to recover if it ever does. If the Lib Dems go then the vacuum in British politics will see the rise of right wing parties, which is seemingly where the rest of Europe is heading anyhow.

If the Lib Dems go then the vacuum in British politics will see the rise of right wing parties, which is seemingly where the rest of Europe is heading anyhow.

This is why I think the LibDems will recover, and why I did not vote for UKIP.

The Lib Dems always have commons sense policies, the Tories and UKIP are on the right and Labour too involved historically with giving people benefits and interfering with the free market.

The Lib Dems always have commons sense policies, the Tories and UKIP are on the right and Labour too involved historically with giving people benefits and interfering with the free market.

That may be true but the suggestion is that Clegg is all to willing to throw them out of the window in pursuit of a taste of power.

He is going to have a hard time convincing anyone he is a man of principle now and why the party should get rid of him in an effort to show the electorate that they do have their own policies and values that they wish to rekindle.

He is disease to them now and needs cutting out before it irrecoverable.

That may be true but the suggestion is that Clegg is all to willing to throw them out of the window in pursuit of a taste of power.

He is going to have a hard time convincing anyone he is a man of principle now and why the party should get rid of him in an effort to show the electorate that they do have their own policies and values that they wish to rekindle.

He is disease to them now and needs cutting out before it irrecoverable.

Isn't that what coalition government is all about. The major party offers a few titbits in exchange for the majority of their own policies that are acceptable to the minor party. The alternative for the minor party is 5 more years of opposition and not even a titbit of their policies seeing the light of day. When Nick Clegg turns up on the moring after the election with 45 seats to his parties name he will suddenly become the most popular man in British politics.

Isn't that what coalition government is all about.

There seems to be a wilful[1] misunderstanding of how coalition governments work on this forum. I can understand why Labour and Conservative supporters might want to do so because it's in their interests for the idea of coalition government not to take root in this country. I'm puzzled as to why UKIP supporters do though. Nigel Farage has no chance of becomming PM and, if UKIP are more than just an anti EU + immigration pressure group as they claim, they will have to join a coalition to have any power. Would they suddenly start claiming Farage is a liar and will sell out any of his principles to get a taste of power as they do about Clegg?

[1] I say wilful because it's not a difficult concept to grasp and people on here aren't that stupid.

I agree they should have let the banks go to the wall.

But don't you think that Farage is now in the enviable position that the Lib Dems have occupied over the years?

He can pretend to listen to the people, pretend concern and put his name to outlandish promises that he knows will never come to fruition.

He's now working from a platform he never dreamed possible, he's now a media darling, always ready with a ridiculous quote or a soundbite about how he's just one of the lads.

He is wily and has charisma whereas Clegg is sadly lacking in both, hence Clegg and the party are in the predicament they are in at present.

How many victories will it take for us all to realise he's not going to go away?

Nick clegg comes across as condescending when it comes to issues in people lives and Nigel Farage seems to be a bloke that listens and gets it.

I think that's the difference.

No one but Nick clegg is to blame for his demise, he is hard to differentiate from the Tories to many and just another part of the elite who do not have to live on the same ground as us low life's.

Get rid of him while you can, its not too late. Don't leave it until after the GE to see the mistake when there's nothing you can do about it.

Nick clegg comes across as condescending when it comes to issues in people lives and Nigel Farage seems to be a bloke that listens and gets it.

I think that's the difference.

No one but Nick clegg is to blame for his demise, he is hard to differentiate from the Tories to many and just another part of the elite who do not have to live on the same ground as us low life's.

Get rid of him while you can, its not too late. Don't leave it until after the GE to see the mistake when there's nothing you can do about it.

As I'm pretty confident you don't support the Lib/Dems I doubt that your advice is offered in their best interests.

I'm assuming that with the current state of opinion polls that the 2 main parties are going to wind up with around 285 seats each with the Lib/Dems on around 45 and UKIP a mere 4-6. So in such an instance would you want Nick Clegg and his MPs to broker a deal with your chosen party or would you prefer to go it alone?

Again looking at the opinion polls, if a party needs to get rid of its leader it is Labour. As the economy pick's up Miliband is becoming an ever bigger burden to his party and his presence as leader all but guarantees Labour won't get a majority next May.

Edited by Emily Moore

As I'm pretty confident you don't support the Lib/Dems I doubt that your advice is offered in their best interests.

I'm assuming that with the current state of opinion polls that the 2 main parties are going to wind up with around 285 seats each with the Lib/Dems on around 45 and UKIP a mere 4-6. So in such an instance would you want Nick Clegg and his MPs to broker a deal with your chosen party or would you prefer to go it alone?

I don't want Nick to do anything, when it comes to voting Lib Dem its a case of been there, done that.

I'm betting that UKIP will take a few seats, not many but a few, and probably at the expense of the Lib Dems. In that case I can see the Tories getting in with the support of UKIP after negotiating the referendum details.

I don't want Nick to do anything, when it comes to voting Lib Dem its a case of been there, done that.

I'm betting that UKIP will take a few seats, not many but a few, and probably at the expense of the Lib Dems. In that case I can see the Tories getting in with the support of UKIP after negotiating the referendum details.

Just as a matter of interest how many seats would you expect UKIP and the Lib/Dems each to bring to a coalition? My estimate would be 6 UKIP and 45 Lib/Dem. I would expect UKIP to have more influence on the ballot than they do on the make up of any coalition afterwards.

[Dr Who]Don't you think Nick Clegg looks tired? [/Dr Who]