The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I really can't see the point of in effect having two Conservative parties to vote for, and no alternative point of view. 

However I think we have to accept the fact that any left leaning candidate will be annihilated in the media, no matter how squeeky clean they are. The establishment /elite will see to it that they are considered unelectable. They don't want anything that threatens their gravy train and cosy life of perks and privelege.

Corbyn got what he deserved, his momentum pals got it so wrong. Nobody in the labour party could have fared worse than him, I was going to say maybe Abbott but even she would have done better.

7 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Corbyn got what he deserved, his momentum pals got it so wrong. Nobody in the labour party could have fared worse than him, I was going to say maybe Abbott but even she would have done better.

Nasty Comment that Lottie.

Edited by FinBak

14 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Nasty Comment that Lottie.

Not really, but it's how it turned out. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

I really can't see the point of in effect having two Conservative parties to vote for, and no alternative point of view. 

However I think we have to accept the fact that any left leaning candidate will be annihilated in the media, no matter how squeeky clean they are. The establishment /elite will see to it that they are considered unelectable. They don't want anything that threatens their gravy train and cosy life of perks and privelege.

Change the record.

It is well accepted that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.    Labour has a very big problem.

Until they stop blaming everybody else for their failures and actually admit their problem nothing is going to change.  That includes getting deluded supporters to stop with the stupid media bias conspiracy theories and open their eyes to what the actual issue is.

It's politics.  It's a biggest popularity contest in the world.  If it's not expressly clear by now what the electorate wanted they will never succeed.   

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

a very left wing party, like the labour party presently is, is unelectable, you may not like that, i may not like that but that is the reality. 

something else you may not like, is that, if you discount the wars, the Blair and Brown governments actually achieved some great things from reducing child poverty, devoloution, the miniumum wage and greater investment in  public services and many other things.

the corbynites have done a far better job of destroying that legacy than the media, hostile or not, ever has. 

the media may be hostile to labour leaders, but thats been the situation for over 100 years so it's hardly a surprise and any leader need a plan then other than whining about how nasty they are..

there is much a centre focussed labour party has to offer. 

Edited by andyofborg

On 22 December 2019 at 18:37, CaptainSwing said:

Anybody who believes there is no media bias against anybody to the left of <insert favourite right-wing archetype> is definitely deluded.

Given other than the Tony Blair victories,

Labour has not won a general election for more than 40 years, it maybe a wee bit more than media bias affecting the Labour Left.

4 hours ago, steve68 said:

Given other than the Tony Blair victories,

Labour has not won a general election for more than 40 years, it maybe a wee bit more than media bias affecting the Labour Left.

So what do you think it is?

Once the warm glow of Brexit has worn off, and little has changed, attention is going to turn towards why we will still have austerity and under investment in the North, homeless on the streets etc. I suspect people are going to be very upset by this time next year.  

Thought is was April 1st not Christmas Day when I read this. Just what has he done and achieved as mayor to anyway support the case for leadership of his party? 

Dan Jarvis, potential Lab leader? No chance. 

He doesn't fit with the hastily conveined focus group decision, that have already decided that they need a flat cap wearing, kestrel holding, whippet walking, Northern woman who sounds like Lily Savage & who works behind the bar in a working men's club.

Jarvis' has also not just fell out Uni after studying PPE, straight into politics but has had a proper job beforehand. 

The proper job also might be an issue to many of the current members of the Labour Party - ex Para? 

Edited by Baron99