Jump to content

The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Padders said:

Meanwhile Jim,  Tamara Ecclestone has had 50m pounds worth of jewellery stolen from home.. What...

Just think what her dad is sitting on.

What a totally vacuous way of using your good fortune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Just think what her dad is sitting on.

What a totally vacuous way of using your good fortune.

 

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Just think what her dad is sitting on.

What a totally vacuous way of using your good fortune.

If you can afford that much jewellery you can afford  to lose it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, janie48 said:

To a large extent I quite agree. 

 

I've never objected to Labour being a broad church party as they have always been, but lately the radical left seem to have gained far too much power and influence over the leadership. That's why I'm not entirely convinced  Brexit was the only reason Labour lost. 

 

I voted for Labour but I did so half-heartedly, almost voted for the Lib Dems. 

 

As I've said before the country needs a strong challenging opposition party with an inspiring moderate centrist leader, one that is capable of winning an election.

 

So something needs to change because a lot of the public must feel as I do, that they are living  in a one party state. 

 

 

 

Given that centrists since at least Kinnock have ruled the roost, and considering the neo-liberals had a fairly long run surely you wouldn’t begrudge socialists a run at it.

No one seems to refer to the loss off 55 regular Scottish Labour MPs that are now lost to nationalists as contributing to Labours absence from office

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, Labour now feel strongly that their next leader should be a woman (various interviews with party representatives). Do these people not learn? Do they seriously believe that on the council estates, working men's clubs, Wetherspoons etc disillusioned Labour voters are banging fists on tables, muttering to themselves “If only we had a female leader!”. They may do, because they wouldn’t be seen dead in such places!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, beefface said:

Apparently, Labour now feel strongly that their next leader should be a woman

 

Yep, a Northern woman too.  Why not just pick the best person for the job instead of this box ticking exercise.

 

But will it be Thornberry?  She's started legal action.  And the party continues to implode.

 

Emily Thornberry takes legal action against Labour colleague Caroline Flint
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/15/labour-leadership-contender-emily-thornberry-accused-calling/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, beefface said:

Apparently, Labour now feel strongly that their next leader should be a woman

 

Isn't that sexist?

 

From Telegraph:

The claim, made by defeated Don Valley Labour MP Caroline Flint, was quickly denied by Ms Thornberry but it fuelled a growing row over Corbyn loyalists blaming the public for last week’s historic defeat.

 

They're quite right, it was the publics fault!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Why not just pick the best person for the job instead of this box ticking exercise.

 

 

This exactly.

 

Unfortunately until the party removes it's head for it's arse they'll continue to foul up and be as useless as before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beefface said:

Apparently, Labour now feel strongly that their next leader should be a woman (various interviews with party representatives). Do these people not learn? Do they seriously believe that on the council estates, working men's clubs, Wetherspoons etc disillusioned Labour voters are banging fists on tables, muttering to themselves “If only we had a female leader!”. They may do, because they wouldn’t be seen dead in such places!

 

Although I didn't vote for Labour, I find it totally patronising that they simply believe that they can win their northern heartlands back, simply by selecting someone who first & foremost a Northener & a woman.  

 

Will she also be required to wear a flat cap & have a whippet in one hand while propping a kestrel up on her other arm? 

 

Smacks of a London based focus group to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stirrings on Twitter today from Corbyn supporters and Pro-Corbyn MPs, talking about setting up their own "new" socialist party (a bit like Socialist Labour then?) and taking their support there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Given that centrists since at least Kinnock have ruled the roost, and considering the neo-liberals had a fairly long run surely you wouldn’t begrudge socialists a run at it.

No one seems to refer to the loss off 55 regular Scottish Labour MPs that are now lost to nationalists as contributing to Labours absence from office

No I wouldn't want Socialists having a run at it,  having a presence within is fine as all voices are needed, but certainly not dominating the party.

That said, I would be very wary of those minority power hungry militant Trotskyist types the party has behind the scenes reappearing to create more chaos. 

 

As to those Labour MP losses,  its sad to see decent hard working  dedicated politicians losing their seats, even some of those from other parties. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Interesting stirrings on Twitter today from Corbyn supporters and Pro-Corbyn MPs, talking about setting up their own "new" socialist party (a bit like Socialist Labour then?) and taking their support there.

Sadly, I fear that if this happens it will be the end of Labour as a political force in this country., if they aren't already that is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Although I didn't vote for Labour, I find it totally patronising that they simply believe that they can win their northern heartlands back, simply by selecting someone who first & foremost a Northener & a woman.  

 

Will she also be required to wear a flat cap & have a whippet in one hand while propping a kestrel up on her other arm? 

 

Smacks of a London based focus group to me. 

They just voted for a posh Old Etonian. I think they are barking up the wrong tree if they think the problem is working class credentials.

4 minutes ago, convert said:

Sadly, I fear that if this happens it will be the end of Labour as a political force in this country., if they aren't already that is.

 

I would have thought that would help Labour - the electorate has just rejected the socialist project. Jettisoning them  might make Labour electable again. If Boris serves his full term it will be 50 years since any Labour leader, except Blair, has won an election....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.