The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Would have put Brexit strategy as number two if not number one, how Corbyn can expect people to vote for him when he would not give his view on the main issue was a massive error.

What next for Labour?

The piublic has soundly rejected Comrade Corbyn and his policies,

Will a more moderate leader be elected, bringing Labour back to the centre ground?

Will the party split, with a momentum / hard left party and a more centrist one?

Are they going to be in the wilderness for decades to come?

We need a strong oppostion to (try to) keep Boris honest (I know) The Lib Dems are a spent force, we need a strong Labour party.

1 minute ago, convert said:

What next for Labour?

The piublic has soundly rejected Comrade Corbyn and his policies,

Will a more moderate leader be elected, bringing Labour back to the centre ground?

Will the party split, with a momentum / hard left party and a more centrist one?

Are they going to be in the wilderness for decades to come?

We need a strong oppostion to (try to) keep Boris honest (I know) The Lib Dems are a spent force, we need a strong Labour party.

Cant have a moderate leader or stance remember - "proper" Labour fans will accuse it of not being true Labour (even if it wins seats)

Boris can be as dishonest as he wants for the next 2 years. With that majority that Jeremy has managed to give them,  he has given him the keys to the treasure chest and there is nothing Labour can do about it. Jimmy Krankie will be more obsessed with yet another go at independence to bother the Tories and especially if she gets her way and Scotland goes then its even stronger a stranglehold in parliament for the Blues

All of the MPs who defected in the last Parliament to another party, or became independents, then stood again for election yesterday failed to get elected. Every single one. 

Angela Smith

Chuka Umunna

Phillip Lee

Luciana Berger

Sarah Wollaston

Antoinette Sandbach

Sam Gyimah

Frank Field

David Gauke

Dominic Grieve

Anne Milton

Chris Williamson

Ivan Lewis

Gavin Shuker

Roger Godsiff

Anna Soubry

Mike Gapes

Chris Leslie

All of these people lost their seats.

Edited by Car Boot

posted this on GE thread, but best here

I have held fire on this until after the election:, one of the reasons the 'red wall' has collapsed is because of the attitude of many long terrm labour councils, their cllrs,and to a degree, their staff,  who see clients as the enemy, or a nuisance at best, I have been attempting to change policy on financial contributions to social care, it has been a very very dispiriting affair, talking to cllrs, shadow ministers, etc. Lots of disabled and sick people are going bankrupt paying over 50% of care costs (yes most of the public don't even know they have to pay), yet Labour fought an election in 2017 on the dementia tax! People's encounters with most social workers, etc, are frequently unpleasant, one said to my friend, "if you weren't such a do gooder, you wouldn't be so ill" Lots in the Red Wall will have similar experiences, of course the Tories have decimated local expenditure, but look at how they dealt with the trees issues, they have to change, become more responsive, compassionate, empathy costs nothing. I hope L/P members start to speak up more at meetings, etc.

2 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

posted this on GE thread, but best here

I have held fire on this until after the election:, one of the reasons the 'red wall' has collapsed is because of the attitude of many long terrm labour councils, their cllrs,and to a degree, their staff,  who see clients as the enemy, or a nuisance at best, I have been attempting to change policy on financial contributions to social care, it has been a very very dispiriting affair, talking to cllrs, shadow ministers, etc. Lots of disabled and sick people are going bankrupt paying over 50% of care costs (yes most of the public don't even know they have to pay), yet Labour fought an election in 2017 on the dementia tax! People's encounters with most social workers, etc, are frequently unpleasant, one said to my friend, "if you weren't such a do gooder, you wouldn't be so ill" Lots in the Red Wall will have similar experiences, of course the Tories have decimated local expenditure, but look at how they dealt with the trees issues, they have to change, become more responsive, compassionate, empathy costs nothing. I hope L/P members start to speak up more at meetings, etc.

Does anybody know what progress has been made with that petition (massive number of signatures complaining about the council and how it does business,) that was presented to Sheffield City  Council a while ago.?

Last I heard was that it had been whisked away never to be heard of again.

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Does anybody know what progress has been made with that petition (massive number of signatures complaining about the council and how it does business,) that was presented to Sheffield City  Council a while ago.?

Last I heard was that it had been whisked away never to be heard of again.

There's to be a consultation in the New Year, followed by a referendum later on, probably at the same time as the local elections in May. The referendum will present options for the public to choose their preferred method of council governance.

15 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

He is not a shadow of his father...

Who helped keep Labour unelectable for how many years?

1 hour ago, max said:

There's to be a consultation in the New Year, followed by a referendum later on, probably at the same time as the local elections in May. The referendum will present options for the public to choose their preferred method of council governance.

Thankyou.

11 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Who helped keep Labour unelectable for how many years?

He made me vote Labour, I thought he was a great politician.