The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, apelike said:

No, he was Labour lite and campaigned under the "New Labour" flag which was the Labour party. 

nope, i think the new bit in the moniker gives it away, it was NEW labour, NOT labour

7 hours ago, Mister M said:

Actually he appeared on Iain Dale's LBC show for an hour - so he was there, taking calls from the public. All credit to him for not running away.

Unlike Boris Johnson or Jacob rees Mogg, who are trying to evade scrutiny.

Agree 100%.   At least he tried to defend himself, which failed dismally if you read the transcript or listen to the clip. Banter, never in a million years, just an honest view of Corbyn.

Angel1.

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

nope, i think the new bit in the moniker gives it away, it was NEW labour, NOT labour

Well I must have missed a new party being formed then.  :huh: As far as I know it was the same Labour Party that elected Blair and also had him as PM, the only difference is they took to endorsing market economics. IIRC it was actually Kinnock that started it all off after his defeat in the election of 1983 when he changed his mind and advocated "A New Deal for Europe and a Square Deal for Britain." Labour may have changed the name back but have not changed much else within the party.

Edited by apelike

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

Well I must have missed a new party being formed then.  :huh: As far as I know it was the same Labour Party that elected Blair and also had him as PM, the only difference is they took to endorsing market economics. IIRC it was actually Kinnock that started it all off after his defeat in the election of 1983 when he changed his mind and advocated "A New Deal for Europe and a Square Deal for Britain." Labour may have changed the name back but have not changed much else within the party.

Unlike the Tories who used to be a pragmatic, pro business party, almost the political wing of the CBI. Now they're  ideologically led and totally ignore the CBI, but love hedge funds, Russian Oligarchs and similar chancers.

At least Labour are putting people first, not Boris first. second and third.

Edited by Longcol

12 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Its a shame he tried to worm his way out of it.  I'm sure many other Labour MPs feel exactly the same way.  They certainly did in 2016, and things have hardly got better.

A motion of no confidence in Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has been passed by the party's MPs.

The 172-40 vote, which is not binding, follows resignations from the shadow cabinet and calls on Mr Corbyn to quit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647458

If Corbyn loses and resigns on Friday, more will come out of the woodwork with their true feelings and stories of being made to suppress them in order to get behind their wonderful leader.

Len McClusky decides when corbyn goes. 

I will never vote Tory, I'm struggling with Corbyn's Labour but could be convinced, a couple of questions:

1. What are Labours plans to save the NHS, they've not shone in Wales where they have control?
  2. How are they going to build all the hospitals and housing they've promised when there's a chronic labour shortage in the construction industry?

13 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I will never vote Tory, I'm struggling with Corbyn's Labour but could be convinced, a couple of questions:

1. What are Labours plans to save the NHS, they've not shone in Wales where they have control?
  2. How are they going to build all the hospitals and housing they've promised when there's a chronic labour shortage in the construction industry?

1) Funding for the NHS in Wales is set by Westminster, not Labour in Wales. It doesn't reflect the needs of the Welsh population.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/nhs-wales-badly-run-by-labour-or-underfunded-by-westminster

2) Presumably in the same way as the Tories proposed - a big increase in apprenticeships. 

https://constructionmaguk.co.uk/addressing-the-skills-shortage-gap-in-the-construction-sector/

It would also be easier to retain current EU workers if the threat of a hard Brexit was removed.

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

1) Funding for the NHS in Wales is set by Westminster, not Labour in Wales. It doesn't reflect the needs of the Welsh population.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/nhs-wales-badly-run-by-labour-or-underfunded-by-westminster

2) Presumably in the same way as the Tories proposed - a big increase in apprenticeships. 

https://constructionmaguk.co.uk/addressing-the-skills-shortage-gap-in-the-construction-sector/

It would also be easier to retain current EU workers if the threat of a hard Brexit was removed.

Good in principle but no one wants to do apprenticeships in construction, its hard work for not enough reward, a crisis is looming if its not addressed.

21 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Good in principle but no one wants to do apprenticeships in construction, its hard work for not enough reward, a crisis is looming if its not addressed.

Kids want to stay at school until they are in there twenty's these days . No one wants hard work .

16 hours ago, melthebell said:

How about instead it was the government able to make decisions, not the opposition who can only stand and moan while watching. 

theres the difference between "New" labour and Labour. One actually appealed to the british public, one hasn't for 45 years

3 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

You are so wrong, there's plenty of really well paid manual jobs in construction at the moment. I dare say the money has never been better and the conditions likewise , that is no heavy lifting or digging, machines do the donkey work now.

11 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

You are so wrong, there's plenty of really well paid manual jobs in construction at the moment. I dare say the money has never been better and the conditions likewise , that is no heavy lifting or digging, machines do the donkey work now.

I work in construction management and I know for a fact that there are not enough people coming into the industry, the good ones are retiring and they are not being replaced.