The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

The Labour party claims that its policies will save the average family £6700 per year 

https://www.theweek.co.uk/104691/general-election-2019-latest-labour-government-would-save-families-6700-a-year

However,  it would appear that they've let Diane Abbott loose with the calculator again.

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/labour-claims-about-savings-under-their-policies-are-not-credible/

'This figure is not credible and does not represent what an average family would save."

1 minute ago, convert said:

The Labour party claims that its policies will save the average family £6700 per year 

https://www.theweek.co.uk/104691/general-election-2019-latest-labour-government-would-save-families-6700-a-year

However,  it would appear that they've let Diane Abbott loose with the calculator again.

https://fullfact.org/election-2019/labour-claims-about-savings-under-their-policies-are-not-credible/

'This figure is not credible and does not represent what an average family would save."

At least they didn't write it 3 foot high on the side of a bus. . . . 

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Rule 1, when trying to counter accusations of bias, best not to use such a heavily biased rag like The Canary

Anyway, in other Labour news:

Diane Abbott’s son charged with assault after ‘biting and spitting at police officer’

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/04/diane-abbotts-son-charged-assault-biting-spitting-police-officer-11268083

But they are giving the facts, its not an opinion, its irrelevant from what source where the facts come from

The lady on Question Time last night spoke for many when she said she was a Labour voter but couldn't vote for them this time for ignoring the referendum result.  

27 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

The lady on Question Time last night spoke for many when she said she was a Labour voter but couldn't vote for them this time for ignoring the referendum result.  

Newsnight  were in Wakefield last night, and interviewed several people, who had voted Labour all their life. A lot said they'd be voting Tory. One chap even said that his parents would be turning in their graves if he voted  Tory, but for the first time in his life he felt he had to.

45 minutes ago, convert said:

Newsnight  were in Wakefield last night, and interviewed several people, who had voted Labour all their life. A lot said they'd be voting Tory. One chap even said that his parents would be turning in their graves if he voted  Tory, but for the first time in his life he felt he had to.

Yeah, i believe its a massive miscalculation on Corbyns part, this is the one issue i dont agree with, we have had a vote, we dont need another one, he should go along with the vote and damn the consequences, but unfortunately we will end up with another five years of Doris, and who knows what damage he will do, the country will be in a right old mess, the NHS will be gone, there will be more people dying on the streets, the rich will get richer and the poor will be poorer. and what about workers rights?

1 hour ago, convert said:

More fool him then

21 hours ago, convert said:

Isn't that like averages that normally get bandied about?

i always see things like an average workers pay is 23000 or so,but everybody I know is closer to 12000, 13000

1 hour ago, convert said:

I said on the General Election thread last week that it’s the political version of Stockholm Syndrome. Some people have developed a psychological alliance with their political captors by being in denial of the consequences of voting for something that is so obviously against their best interests. I saw a bloke on the local news at a foodbank in Grimsby the other day saying he was voting Tory. 

58 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I said on the General Election thread last week that it’s the political version of Stockholm Syndrome. Some people have developed a psychological alliance with their political captors by being in denial of the consequences of voting for something that is so obviously against their best interests. I saw a bloke on the local news at a foodbank in Grimsby the other day saying he was voting Tory. 

I think you are right, but someone at a food bank voting tory..Wow, just wow

1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

I think that's a very good analogy. 

People are also very sheep like and will follow the crowd rather than think for themselves, even if it's leading them over a cliff. 

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

Isn't that like averages that normally get bandied about?

i always see things like an average workers pay is 23000 or so,but everybody I know is closer to 12000, 13000

I'd say not. If you read the Full Fact report, it says

"

Labour today released figures that they said showed that costs to the average family had risen by almost £6,000 since 2010, while Labour policies would save the average family £6,700.

Very few of these figures represent what “average families” will save under Labour’s policies, or how much more those families have had to pay under the Conservatives.

More than three quarters of the supposed “savings” come from just two large costs, rail season tickets and childcare, neither of which comes close to reflecting what an average family actually pays. In England, two fifths of families don’t pay anything for childcare; only 5% of people use a train more than three times a week."