The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Labour is simply returning part of BT to public ownership and looking after our infrastructure, something which private companies often fail to do if there's no profit in it. It means there will be consistant cover across the country including places that don't have it at the moment. I understand we are bottom of the league table at the moment for the reliable roll out of fast broadband which is holding productivity and  business back. Labour are trying to rectify that and move us forward.

Because it was wonderful when BT was in public ownership wasn't it!!!

Have Labour explained how they are paying for this? 

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

At this stage of the game no party fully explains how they will fund all of their promises.

Just as the Conservatives blithely promise all things to all men,whilst hiding the true impact of their Brexit Deal or the  still mooted No Deal.

To be honest they are equally incapable of true costings for any scheme which invariably run well over budget.

Edited by RJRB

14 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

They are taxing the big corporations like Amazon I believe.

BT wasn't perfect, but I believe it's only right that we keep a hold of at least part of our infrastructure. 

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

They are taxing the big corporations like Amazon I believe.

BT wasn't perfect, but I believe it's only right that we keep a hold of at least part of our infrastructure. 

That will be nowhere near enough to pay for it. 

Labour claim that they would get £230m annually from increasing the tax on the like of Google and Amazon.

Openreach employs 32,000 people, (and Labour have guaranteed no job losses). It has an annual wage bill of £800m. Other operating costs take it to £2billion annually. Openreach also has an annual maintenance bill of between £1billion and £2billion. The rollout of fibre across the country is costing Openreach £35billion....

£230m a year isn't going to cut it!  

4 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

That will be nowhere near enough to pay for it. 

Labour claim that they would get £230m annually from increasing the tax on the like of Google and Amazon.

Openreach employs 32,000 people, (and Labour have guaranteed no job losses). It has an annual wage bill of £800m. Other operating costs take it to £2billion annually. Openreach also has an annual maintenance bill of between £1billion and £2billion. The rollout of fibre across the country is costing Openreach £35billion....

£230m a year isn't going to cut it!  

Have you taken into account the magic money tree planted by Theresa May in the garden of number 10 Downing Street?

Just now, Mister Gee said:

Have you taken into account the magic money tree planted by Theresa May in the garden of number 10 Downing Street?

That doesn't answer the question, unless you're suggesting that Labour are just going to magic the money up from somewhere.. 

Where is the money coming from? 

6 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

That doesn't answer the question, unless you're suggesting that Labour are just going to magic the money up from somewhere.. 

From the same place that the DUP and Chris Grayling got their wedge?

Just now, Robin-H said:

Auctioning unicorns?

It does seriously look like back of a fag packet stuff - was it even discussed at this years conference? Who beyond a small circle have had any input into the idea? The impact on telephony and TV seems to have been ignored as well.

I can see the benefit in rolling out connectivity to high speed broadband to peoples homes and full fibre to business - but I would expect most consumers to pay for usage.

But give Corbyn an open goal he'll still take the ball down the other end and put it in his own net.

8 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

From the same place that the DUP and Chris Grayling got their wedge?

The money came from the existing programme and budgets, meaning that money was cut elsewhere to pay for it. It wasn't magicked out of nowhere. 

What is the Labour Party going to cut to pay for it? Those are significant annual running costs running into many billions. 

10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Auctioning unicorns?

It does seriously look like back of a fag packet stuff - was it even discussed at this years conference? Who beyond a small circle have had any input into the idea? The impact on telephony and TV seems to have been ignored as well.

I can see the benefit in rolling out connectivity to high speed broadband to peoples homes and full fibre to business - but I would expect most consumers to pay for usage.

But give Corbyn an open goal he'll still take the ball down the other end and put it in his own net.

Absolutely. It's what Openreach is doing now. 

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

The money came from the existing programme and budgets, meaning that money was cut elsewhere to pay for it. It wasn't magicked out of nowhere. 

What is the Labour Party going to cut to pay for it? Those are significant annual running costs running into many billions. 

Was that the case for all the money Chris Grayling wasted? I’m interested because you’ve never commented on this. 

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

Was that the case for all the money Chris Grayling wasted? I’m interested because you’ve never commented on this. 

I'm sure it was yes. 

Now, instead of trying to derail the conservation by asking me about Tory spending in the Labour Party thread, perhaps you could answer the question? 

Just now, Robin-H said:

I'm sure it was yes. 

Now, instead of trying to derail the conservation by asking me about Tory spending in the Labour Party thread, perhaps you could answer the question? 

Why haven’t you ever commented on that in the Conservative Party thread then?