The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Has anyone told Corbyn that as things stand we could crash out of the EU without a deal at the end of October - while he still clings to his fantasy of a general election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/30/soft-brexit-corbyn-labour-second-referendum-some-way-off-backs

That’s all he’s gone on about since last year, a general election.

The question really is does he actually care if we crash out??

Probably plays into his hands really, no wonder he's sat on the fence over the issue.

1 hour ago, geared said:

He should do.

He will struggle with funding his nationalisation programme at the best of times. Firefighting the effects of a no-deal Brexit will cost a new Labour Government even more money that it can’t afford.

And he won’t even have the luxury of throwing his hands in the air and saying ‘Nothing to do with me mate!’ as even the dumbest among us is in no doubt that Corbyn has supported Brexit from day one.

On 08/06/2019 at 21:54, melthebell said:

Seems the labour mp for the school involved in the parents protest has come out agreeing with the protestors

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48569173

Was this the guy who said the books weren't "age-appropiate" then admitted he hadn't read them

On 30 May 2019 at 11:06, bendix said:

It's great that Labour  MPs are allowed to vote with the conscience, but ordinary Labour Party members aren't.

As clearly demonstrated yet again in yesterday's vote, wherein the 8 rebel Labour MPs managed to turn what should have been victory by the opposition  for preserving Parliament's sovereign prerogatives, into a defeat.

And so, do we hear de-selection noises today about Hoey, Mann, Barron, Campbell, Fitzpatrick, Flint, Hepburn and Stringer?

Do we **** :rolleyes:

The UK looks to be in more trouble than a pregnant nun, tbh.

On 03/06/2019 at 16:15, geared said:

Probably plays into his hands really, no wonder he's sat on the fence over the issue.

He has long standing very anti-EU views, so I doubt he cares if we crash out.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

As clearly demonstrated yet again in yesterday's vote, wherein the 8 rebel Labour MPs managed to turn what should have been victory by the opposition  for preserving Parliament's sovereign prerogatives, into a defeat.

And so, do we hear de-selection noises today about Hoey, Mann, Barron, Campbell, Fitzpatrick, Flint, Hepburn and Stringer?

Do we **** :rolleyes:

The UK looks to be in more trouble than a pregnant nun, tbh.

Havent they tried it with Hoey already and failed?

54 minutes ago, nightrider said:

He has long standing very anti-EU views, so I doubt he cares if we crash out.

He needs the UK to crash out, in order to implement his hard-leftist policies

Considering that EU law would not impede any of the policies that were proposed on the Labour manifesto for the GE2017, and considering Corbyn's own word to qualify those hard-leftist policies not on the manifesto, as "irreversible",...you can work out how 'hard' those leftist policies would be.

Incidentally, fear of such "irreversible" policies is  (reportedly) one of the fundamental reasons why 'normal' Tories are also backing Boris in the current Conservative leadership race: they view a Corbyn government as a worse outcome for the UK, than Brexiting.

How they square, logically, putting Bojo into no.10 as preventing Corbyn from gaining power, before or after or without Brexit, I'm not entirely sure I understand, that said (the Chatham House rules-respecting informal talk, is that Bojo would "wear" a u-turn on a hardline Brexit better than most of the other hopefuls...but that seems flimsy and beyond dangerous, tbh)  :?

47 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Havent they tried it with Hoey already and failed?

It's still ongoing AFAIK (plenty of coverage about starting the deselection procedure last year, but I can't find anything about an actual decision and outcome since).

I'm thinking that the party leadership has been quietly leaning on these proceedings (if they were actually started at all), to help maintain their equivocal fence-sitting on the topic.

Edited by L00b