The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

6 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

What happens to their constituencies they are supposed to represent, most of the people of Stocksbridge and Penistone voted for a labour candidate irrespective of who it was, many probably didn't even know the name of their representative. So now Ms Smith is no longer a Labour party member should there not be a by election so labour can replace her with a new one?

If she was to stand as member of another new party it would be interesting, would she take votes away from the fielded labour candidate? i doubt not many. 

That's not how it works. We have a representative democracy, and the vote is cast for the individual, not party.

These MPs will remain their constituency MPs until the next election.  

5 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

What happens to their constituencies they are supposed to represent, most of the people of Stocksbridge and Penistone voted for a labour candidate irrespective of who it was, many probably didn't even know the name of their representative. So now Ms Smith is no longer a Labour party member should there not be a by election so labour can replace her with a new one?

If she was to stand as member of another new party it would be interesting, would she take votes away from the fielded labour candidate? i doubt not many. 

Of course she won't get back in, I doubt any of them will come the next election. 

But it's a sad day, a very sad day. Not because of these 7 Mps leaving the church of St Jez, but Nigel farage said something I agree with.  " this is the beginning of something bigger in British politics - realignment."

Its overdue.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Unless the rest of the party get behind this breakaway group Labour support will just become even further fractured and the Tories will be in power for much of the 2020s.

It's never going to happen.

The history of independants in UK politics is not a good one. Despite our system voting for the individual rather than the party, most people do vote for the candidate that represents their political choice.

Apart from possibly Chuka Umunna, non of the seven will ever be elected as an MP by standing as an independant. The only independant in recent times with any measure of success was Martin Bell and he was standing against a very corrupt opponent.

I have always considered it a good thing  to have a broad church Labour Party, so I'm very dissapointed these MPs have resigned, especially Chuka Umunna. 

It's a shame that Corbyn didn't share your views. He's the reason that the broad church of Labour has become incredibly narrow and navel focussed...

Let's hope they attract more support until Labour wake up and smell the coffee...

Does this mean that May will get her deal through. Now that 7? Labour remainers are free of the whip?

Angela Smith has just admitted on the BBC's Politics Live that in 2017 she campaigned on the promise that if people voted for her she would guarantee that Corbyn would never be Prime Minister.

She's toast at the next election, whenever that may be.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Angela Smith has just admitted on the BBC's Politics Live that in 2017 she campaigned on the promise that if people voted for her she would guarantee that Corbyn would never be Prime Minister.

Dont be so sure of that.  I know lots of people in that constituency.  My best friends were staunch corbynites two years ago. Now they are considering not voting Labour because of him. Smith's constituency is typically working class labour, not Islington labour.  If Smith were to stand again, she would likely take a lot of broad church labour voters with her.

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

Dont be so sure of that.  I know lots of people in that constituency.  My best friends were staunch corbynites two years ago. Now they are considering not voting Labour because of him. Smith's constituency is typically working class labour, not Islington labour.  If Smith were to stand again, she would likely take a lot of broad church labour voters with her.

Its completely the opposite in Berger's seat.

Those locals who have had dealings with her said she was OK and helped them.  Sadly this is a minority.

The rest of the rent-a-mob are coming out with the usual hate revolving around her religion and that's she not from the local area.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Angela Smith is our MP and she is popular with voters. And this constituency is mainly middle of the road working class so I wouldn't count her out so quickly.

11 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Angela Smith is our MP and she is popular with voters. 

Which presumably is why her majority was cut in half in the election of 2017.