The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Oh dear, you must be easily pleased. Next you'll be telling us that Chris Grayling should be Parliamentarian of the Year. :hihi:

Low unemployment, low inflation, real terms average wage increases, a growing economy, and relatively low taxes. What's not to like?

10 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

If all we do is contest the centre ground, nothing will ever change.

Don't people realise this?

We have to move to the right or the left. Thankfully, Corbyn was elected by moving significantly to the left. The Tories have teetered to the left to try to recover their slide. I hope to God the Electorate don't fall for it, but history tells me they will. 

Are you making this up as you go along, what have the Tories done that could be considered left?

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

Are you making this up as you go along, what have the Tories done that could be considered left?

The only thing I can think of was the coalition in 2010.

Corbyn has taken Labour so far left that the Tories don't have to do anything.  Just sit back.  And that's what they've done.  If we had a credible opposition I don't think they would have rested on their laurels so much.

And I suppose today's articles about declining Labour membership figures, and a discovered Corbyn anti-EU video from 2009 aren't doing Labour any favours.

Edited by alchresearch

13 hours ago, Mister M said:

Some people don't want change. If I were Richard Branson or the Duke of Westminster I probably wouldn't either. 

That's exactly what's wrong.

Too many people are I, I, I, me, me, me, grab, grab, grab.

Too many people look up to these grabbers, put 'em on a pedestal and create a rich list so us mortals can see who's got the most money and who should be shining lights to us all.

I'd soon switch their lights off.

15 hours ago, Mister M said:

After all, it saves you having to consider the lamentable Conservative Government we have now - who have been held in 'contempt of Parliament'; where the threat of martial law and  the Royal Family being moved is being spoken about. 

All delivered by wibbly wobbly Wendy and gurning facial expressions. 

Most people know the negatives of the current government.

Weneed to be presented with a better option.

At the moment Tories are the lesser of two evils for lots of people.

Labour should be surging ahead in polls now, but aren't.

And before any comments on biased press etc, that been the case for 50 years.

4 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Most things that they've changed their minds on over the last year or so.

The latest being not to charge people a rip off £65 to prove that they have a right to stay in this country.

As if this Tory Government doesn't have bundles of money already with the billions stolen from councils throughout the country, £5 from Surrey Council and £20m from Sheffield City council for instance.

They've 'saved' billions. We're very close to them 'finding' some money to put in to the NHS soon, I've no doubt.

Wouldn't yer just know it? They've given the Councils the permission to raise Council tax to claw back from us the millions they've nicked in the first place!

Yet some idiots keep voting them in.

Without some reins being put on them by some people, this Universal Credit robbery would be driven through today by Lady Toff and the rest of the Tory Party.

May has had to move to the left a bit because she hasn't got the numbers to steamroller her 'normal' jackboot policies through.

Trying to bribe Toyota to make the new X-Trail in Sunderland ?!?!?!

It's our money she's throwing around!

Edited by Hotmale 1954

4 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Most things that they've changed their minds on over the last year or so.

The latest being not to charge people a rip off £65 to prove that they have a right to stay in this country.

As if this Tory Government doesn't have bundles of money already with the billions stolen from councils throughout the country, £5 from Surrey Council and £20m from Sheffield City council for instance.

They've 'saved' billions. We're very close to them 'finding' some money to put in to the NHS soon, I've no doubt.

Wouldn't yer just know it? They've given the Councils the permission to raise Council tax to claw back from us the millions they've nicked in the first place!

Yet some idiots keep voting them in.

Without some reins being put on them by some people, this Universal Credit robbery would be driven through today by Lady Toff and the rest of the Tory Party.

May has had to move to the left a bit because she hasn't got the numbers to steamroller her 'normal' jackboot policies through.

Trying to bribe Toyota to make the new X-Trail in Sunderland ?!?!?!

It's our money she's throwing around!

A government doesn't have money. The funding is from taxpayers. The government haven't "stolen" money from councils, they've reduced the amount of taxpayer money distributed to them. The reason being that the government were spending more money each year than the taxpayer could fund. This is a "deficit". Running a deficit year on year results in "debt", which to service costs "interest". The more spent on interest, the less can be spent on public services, hence a need to balance the books rather than run a huge deficit each year.

Hope that helps.

19 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Low unemployment, low inflation, real terms average wage increases, a growing economy, and relatively low taxes. What's not to like?

Homelessness, food banks, malnutrition, cuts to services, closure of day care centres, growing mental illness, depression, suicide, Universal Credit, lack of care for elderley, a divided nation, privatisation, globalisation, NeoLiberalism, corruption, terrible governance. . . .

I could go on, but it won't make any difference.              

32 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Homelessness, food banks, malnutrition, cuts to services, closure of day care centres, growing mental illness, depression, suicide, Universal Credit, lack of care for elderley, a divided nation, privatisation, globalisation, NeoLiberalism, corruption, terrible governance. . . .

I could go on, but it won't make any difference.              

Anna, genuine question from someone who has voted Labour most of their life. Can you explain how Labour will tackle the problems you list and maintain some of the things the other poster mentioned?

Anna doesnt do explanations you know. She just likes chucking words about... but youa re right. All those things also existed under Labour and were also problems then.

Saint Jez to announce today that he will raise the minimum wage to £10 by 2020. Love to know 

a) How will he do it it considering Labour are not the governing body

b) How he will pay for it

Mind you ignore b). Its never happening.

2 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Saint Jez to announce today that he will raise the minimum wage to £10 by 2020. Love to know 

a) How will he do it it considering Labour are not the governing body

b) How he will pay for it

Mind you ignore b). Its never happening.

B) is easy, he doesn't have to pay for it. Businesses large and small will.