Jump to content

The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Recommended Posts

Angelia Smith use to be my MP.  I use to see her the odd time walking in Grenoside Woods.  She was always pleasant.  

 

She had a reduced majority in the last election, but could that be because of Brexit.  Didn’t most of her constituents vote to leave the EU,  but she voted to remain?

 

Edited by hauxwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

Angelia Smith use to be my MP.  I use to see her the odd time walking in Grenoside Woods.  She was always pleasant.  

 

She had a reduced majority in the last election, but could that be because of Brexit.  Didn’t most of her constituents vote to leave the EU,  but she voted to remain?

 

She voted against triggering Article 50 on the grounds that two years was an unrealistically short period of time to allow a withdrawal agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

But it's a sad day, a very sad day. Not because of these 7 Mps leaving the church of St Jez, but Nigel farage said something I agree with.  " this is the beginning of something bigger in British politics - realignment."

 

Its overdue.

It's not going to happen. This is a temporary blip until our first past the post electoral system forces the two main parties to fight over the centre ground again. The only way it will change is if one of the two parties with a vested interest in keeping our current system decides to get change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, altus said:

It's not going to happen. This is a temporary blip until our first past the post electoral system forces the two main parties to fight over the centre ground again. 

That's very true. The time of their resignations is confusing, although there are reports that Angela Smith has been considering leaving the Labour Party for nearly four years! 😵

 

Their new independant status will have little bearing on the upcoming Brexit votes as I think that they are all 'People's Vote supporters and therefore very unlikely to support May's deal. Unless they start a new party or join the Tories or Lib Dems it all seems a bit pointless. When Angela Smith was asked by the BBC who she would vote for if there were an election tomorrow, she said that she wouldn't vote for anyone! 

 

Apart from Chuka Umunna and possibly Luciana Berger, in two years time the rest will be forgotten about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

She voted against triggering Article 50 on the grounds that two years was an unrealistically short period of time to allow a withdrawal agreement.

She's been a staunch anti-Brexiter right from the start, and still is AFAIK.

 

I met her on a couple of occasions at Brexit-themed business events in 2016 and 2017, before I Brexoded, and enjoyed a good chat about the topic each time. She came across as opposing Brexit for the sake of her constituents' future.

 

You can't ask more, nor fairer, from an MP. Particularly when they actually put their reelection prospects where their beliefs are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obelix said:

It's a shame that Corbyn didn't share your views. He's the reason that the broad church of Labour has become incredibly narrow and navel focussed...

 

Let's hope they attract more support until Labour wake up and smell the coffee...

It's the current leadership position of the Labour Party thats the problem. 

 

But I am hoping that other Labour politicians who feel their voices aren't being heard will stay instead of leaving, because for the party to have a future they are needed. 

Edited by janie48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Angelia Smith use to be my MP.  I use to see her the odd time walking in Grenoside Woods.  She was always pleasant.  

 

She had a reduced majority in the last election, but could that be because of Brexit.  Didn’t most of her constituents vote to leave the EU,  but she voted to remain?

 

Thats correct. she is my MP . I have no time for her. She voted against the wishes of her constituents by voting  remain .  We voted heavily to leave up here . She is a traitor and does not represent her constituents .  

3 hours ago, convert said:

Dzrt6o9WwAAb693.jpg

Brilliant .😁😁

3 hours ago, L00b said:

She's been a staunch anti-Brexiter right from the start, and still is AFAIK.

 

I met her on a couple of occasions at Brexit-themed business events in 2016 and 2017, before I Brexoded, and enjoyed a good chat about the topic each time. She came across as opposing Brexit for the sake of her constituents' future.

 

You can't ask more, nor fairer, from an MP. Particularly when they actually put their reelection prospects where their beliefs are.

The majority of her constituents , myself include voted to Leave . Speaking to a few people up here ,and the feeling is the same from all of them . She has betrayed the people she claims to represent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angela Smith is quite possibly the worst MP we've ever had. Disgraceful attitude to her constituents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

She is a traitor and does not represent her constituents .  

 

She has betrayed the people she claims to represent. 

That is the second female MP you have called a traitor in the past week.

 

I shall ask you the same question which went unanswered last week. What do you think of those who send rape and death threats to female MPs and do you think people like you calling them traitors make this more or less likely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angela Smith gets off to a great start with her new "party" with a cracking appearance on todays's Daily Politics.

Definitely something a bit "funny" about it 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, xxALxx said:

Angela Smith gets off to a great start with her new "party" with a cracking appearance on todays's Daily Politics.

Definitely something a bit "funny" about it 😂

Apart from her 'unfortunate remark' on the Daily Politics show, she wasn't very convincing about anything she was asked.

 

It would be interesting to see what the 'secret seven' would do if Corbyn is replaced by an anti-Brexit Labour leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.