Jump to content

The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

So which of those would you like to use for your comment?  

I'm sure the democratic vote which made her an MP with over 50% of the people who voted should carry more weight than a bunch of activists hell bent on removing anyone who dares criticise Saint Jez. 

She was elected with  a majority,  but if now her constituents feel she is failing and not representing them, then they have a right to deselect her, if more people want her to stay than go, then she will stay, if not then she should be deselected..... thats democracy ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her constituents gave their opinion when the elected her. Now a tiny band of people in comparison to the number of voters who want her to represent their area, feel that, because she supports Remain (as voted for by her constituents) and wants Labour to be stronger on anti semitism, she should be removed because she doesn't kiss Corbyn's backside. 

 

Or is there another reason why she should be subject to deselection or do you have evidence where her constituents are not happy with how she is representing her people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reasons they've cited for no confidence are quite pathetic. 

 

Wavertree CLP would do well to remember another Labour MP who was constantly fighting against his boss and wasn't shy in criticising him.  That MP was Corbyn.

 

I think its high time we had another Labour vote about the confidence in Corbyn.  It didn't do too well last time.

 

Quote

A motion of no confidence in Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has been passed by the party's MPs.

The 172-40 vote, which is not binding, follows resignations from the shadow cabinet and calls on Mr Corbyn to quit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647458

And the latest polls are out. Don't worry, its not a Yougov one, which puts the Tories in an even better light than this one.

 

Quote

The Conservatives have recorded their biggest lead since the last general election after support for Labour slumped by six points, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer.
 

Theresa May’s party recorded a seven-point lead over Labour in the poll, its biggest since the disastrous election campaign that left her without a majority and relying on the support of Northern Irish DUP MPs.
 

Labour’s support fell from 40% in the last poll to 34%, while Tory support went up from 37% to 41%. It comes despite continued infighting within the government over Brexit, including a record parliamentary defeat for the prime minister over her proposed deal.

 

Labour slump gives Tories biggest lead since general election

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/02/labour-slumps-in-polls-as-tories-open-biggest-lead-since-general-election

 

 

Edited by alchresearch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

She was elected with  a majority,  but if now her constituents feel she is failing and not representing them, then they have a right to deselect her, if more people want her to stay than go, then she will stay, if not then she should be deselected..... thats democracy ..

There is no evidence of that at all. 

 

A small number of Corbynista’s have tabled the vote of no confidence because she has ‘criticised the leader’. That is what the vote states. It has nothing to do with how well she is representing her constituents. Of course Corbyn never criticised the party leader as a backbench MP did he!? 

 

The amount of support and tweets she is receiving saying that she is an excellent MP and representative illustrate that point.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

A small number of Corbynista’s have tabled the vote of no confidence because she has ‘criticised the leader’. That is what the vote states. It has nothing to do with how well she is representing her constituents. Of course Corbyn never criticised the party leader as a backbench MP did he!? 

 

The amount of support and tweets she is receiving saying that she is an excellent MP and representative illustrate that point.. 

On the local FB pages its split 50-50 - those locals who've dealt with her and said she's doing a good job, and those who are just repeating the same tired old cliches of "not local", "parachuted-in", "Tory lite", "Blairs Babe" etc.    No evidence at all she's not doing a good job, just bitter that she isn't a suckup.

 

Why do the far lefties have such a hard time coping with the fact that it was Blair who made Labour electable.  And while Corbyn is in charge it won't happen again.

Edited by alchresearch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

There is no evidence of that at all. 

 

A small number of Corbynista’s have tabled the vote of no confidence because she has ‘criticised the leader’. That is what the vote states. It has nothing to do with how well she is representing her constituents. Of course Corbyn never criticised the party leader as a backbench MP did he!? 

 

The amount of support and tweets she is receiving saying that she is an excellent MP and representative illustrate that point.. 

of course there is evidence of that, the evidence is the people themselves complaining that she has let them down..that is the evidence, what more evidence do you need?

to call people Corbynistas and such is just a way to belittle and discredit them, they are labour party members with rights

and if she has received lots of tweets and many people supporting her, then she has nothing to worry about does she?  

2 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

On the local FB pages its split 50-50 - those locals who've dealt with her and said she's doing a good job, and those who are just repeating the same tired old cliches of "not local", "parachuted-in", "Tory lite", "Blairs Babe" etc.    No evidence at all she's not doing a good job, just bitter that she isn't a suckup.

 

Why do the far lefties have such a hard time coping with the fact that it was Blair who made Labour electable.  And while Corbyn is in charge it won't happen again.

perhaps it wont happen whilst we have people like her in the party causing division?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

The reasons they've cited for no confidence are quite pathetic. 

 

Wavertree CLP would do well to remember another Labour MP who was constantly fighting against his boss and wasn't shy in criticising him.  That MP was Corbyn.

 

I think its high time we had another Labour vote about the confidence in Corbyn.  It didn't do too well last time.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647458

And the latest polls are out. Don't worry, its not a Yougov one, which puts the Tories in an even better light than this one.

 

 

Labour slump gives Tories biggest lead since general election

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/02/labour-slumps-in-polls-as-tories-open-biggest-lead-since-general-election

 

 

it doesnt matter tho, its the members that matter, not the MP's on the gravy train

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Her constituents gave their opinion when the elected her. Now a tiny band of people in comparison to the number of voters who want her to represent their area, feel that, because she supports Remain (as voted for by her constituents) and wants Labour to be stronger on anti semitism, she should be removed because she doesn't kiss Corbyn's backside. 

 

Or is there another reason why she should be subject to deselection or do you have evidence where her constituents are not happy with how she is representing her people. 

i bet you were **** a hoop when Corbyn was challenged over his leadership a second time (in which he won with a bigger majority) but you dont seem as happy when a mere MP is challenged, why is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

of course there is evidence of that, the evidence is the people themselves complaining that she has let them down..that is the evidence, what more evidence do you need?

to call people Corbynistas and such is just a way to belittle and discredit them, they are labour party members with rights

and if she has received lots of tweets and many people supporting her, then she has nothing to worry about does she?  

perhaps it wont happen whilst we have people like her in the party causing division?

Where is the evidence that she isn’t representing her constituents? Is she failing to hold surgeries, or respond to emails, or not raising local concerns with parliament? 

 

The vote text argues that she should be deselected because she has criticised the leader, not because she is failing to represent her constituents, unless you believe that you aren’t allowed to criticse the leader even when you believe it to be justified and may be echoing concerns of her constituents.. If so, how come Corbyn was allowed to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

i bet you were **** a hoop when Corbyn was challenged over his leadership a second time (in which he won with a bigger majority) but you dont seem as happy when a mere MP is challenged, why is that?

nice try to deflect away from all the other points (as other posters are supporting))

In answer to your question, not really, Corbyn, as long as he's the trade union puppy, will be leader until they decide he's going nowhere or he suffers that many losses he will quit. I'm speaking as a person who has voted Labour in the past and will never do so as long as he and his cronies are in charge.

 

The difference is this

Corbyn is the leader of a party and was challenged by all the democratically elected representatives of the party who he is meant to represent as their leader. 

In this incident a democratically elected MP is being challenged by a minority of activists who are not elected and are only speaking on their own agenda, not on the party agenda. If it does go to a vote then it will be interesting to see what happens if/when she wins? 

 

Reading your comment on other posts above is Corbyn on the gravy train as well?

 

You say calling "Corbynistas" is belittling, would you not say that using the term "Blair's babe" and "Tory lite" is equally as bad when used by Labour activists trying to discredit MP's? Or even using the term "People like her"?

 

You say Corbyn may not get in because of "people like her causing divison". You seem to forget that because of "People like her" Labour has a higher representation in Parliament then it would have if there a MP for a different party in her place. 

What division is she actually causing by wanting Labour to be clear on its Anti - Semitism stance or being clear in her views on Brexit and supporting the will of her constituents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

She was elected with  a majority,  but if now her constituents feel she is failing and not representing them, then they have a right to deselect her, if more people want her to stay than go, then she will stay, if not then she should be deselected..... thats democracy ..

so by that reasoning, when Corbyn lost the vote in parliament he should have been deselected? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, banjodeano said:

it doesnt matter tho, its the members that matter, not the MP's on the gravy train

When it comes down to the important factor, it's the voters that matter the most and members should remember that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.