The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

What is the point when we already won and it wasn't upheld?  It makes a total mockery of our screwed up system. 

It was neither upheld nor not upheld.

It had no mandatory powers attached to it and was simply advisory.

36 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It was neither upheld nor not upheld.

It had no mandatory powers attached to it and was simply advisory.

But everybody (except you) understood the result would be acted on.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

But everybody (except you) understood the result would be acted on.

But there was no statuary, legal or democratic reason to.

That's why I have never called for a second referendum as all we need is an Act of Parliament to sack the whole thing off as a very bad idea.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

But there was no statuary, legal or democratic reason to.

That's why I have never called for a second referendum as all we need is an Act of Parliament to sack the whole thing off as a very bad idea.

I voted remain.

i think Brexit has and will continue to be a disaster for the country.

i don’t think there should be a second referendum-it will undermine trust in the democratic process which  could have grave consequences.

11 hours ago, makapaka said:

I voted remain.

i think Brexit has and will continue to be a disaster for the country.

i don’t think there should be a second referendum-it will undermine trust in the democratic process which  could have grave consequences.

Those are also exactly my sentiments. 

17 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Did all labour voters in the North vote to leave?

Who promised that voting leave meant leaving the CU? I can find no evidence of that, only mixed messages.

What's outside the CU, certainly none of those "easy" trade deals that were easy to promise, and seemingly impossible to deliver on. If that promise is being upheld, why is there any obligation to leave the CU? The two go hand in hand, surely, otherwise all bets are off.

Didn't you read the booklet from Cameron that you paid for? 

17 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Did all labour voters in the North vote to leave?

Who promised that voting leave meant leaving the CU? I can find no evidence of that, only mixed messages.

What's outside the CU, certainly none of those "easy" trade deals that were easy to promise, and seemingly impossible to deliver on. If that promise is being upheld, why is there any obligation to leave the CU? The two go hand in hand, surely, otherwise all bets are off.

By staying in the CU stops us making our own trade deals. We would also be under the ECJ.

59 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

By staying in the CU stops us making our own trade deals. We would also be under the ECJ.

Yeah, and isn't that going well. Liam fox has the sum total of one trade deal lined up. With Australia.

Great effort that.

14 hours ago, makapaka said:

What are these grave consequences?

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

What are these grave consequences?

Getting the 'wrong' answer for a second time?

Labour has asked the BBC for unseen footage of last week’s Question Time and demanded a correction during next week’s episode as a row over the show’s treatment of Diane Abbott deepened. 

The party has made a formal complaint to the broadcaster over what it called the “unacceptable” treatment of Ms Abbott, the shadow home secretary.

The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP was interrupted twice as many times as the Conservative MP on the panel, justice minister Rory Stewart, according to Labour.

The show’s new host, Fiona Bruce, is also reported to have made a joke during the warm-up, part of which implied Ms Abbott had been given her shadow cabinet role because of her past relationship with Jeremy Corbyn. The BBC refused to confirm or deny the claim.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-question-time-fiona-bruce-bbc-video-footage-poll-labour-a8737161.html?fbclid=IwAR3JF3TvqoFhpE6FaREN94uiWZSl9EFNZFAwhKLbrvKirYe01QdCOATKfy8