The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

What a farce. 

It’s clear he said ‘woman’ and not ‘people’. Your lips make a different shape when saying those words, and ‘people’ doesn’t really make sense in the context. Only Mrs May was talking. 

Lying about what he said just makes him looking foolish and untrustworthy, and allows the incident to play out longer in the media. 

He should admit he said it, apologise, and let the whole thing be forgotten about. 

Edited by Robin-H

46 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Jesus Anna, that scraping the barrel even for your "the world hates Corbyn" eyes.

He quite clearly says it, gets pulled up on it. Bercow says he didnt see it and is offered the evidence. The protocol would be that the member (whoever it is) would come back to apologise to the house. That's parliamentary procedure. If bercow had seen it then he would have acted on it straight away as he said when challenged.

Corbyn refused to come back, his lackeys say that he said "stupid people" (iMO he didnt, its quite clear he says woman and what grounds would he have to say stupid people) instead of stupid woman and he goes and hides until it blows over. The media pick up on because its quite clearly wrong for him to call any female that but as usual, instead of being a leader he goes and hides. 

That's not negative media coverage as it was live and shown with no commentary. 

I wasn't actually having  a world hates Corbyn moment, (because the world doesn't, rather a lot of the world likes Corbyn actually.) But a go about trivia taking precedence over the newsworthy at a time when there's so much that is newsworthy in the political arena.

As a matter of fact, John Bercow himself was pulled up in the exchange by Andrea Leadson who accused him publicly saying worse about women in Parliament; she seems to have interpreted it as a slight against women MPs in general.  And so it goes on. . .

Oh, and he wasn't ' hiding' (nice slur slipped in there,) he was in transit.

Edited by Anna B

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I wasn't actually having  a world hates Corbyn moment, (because the world doesn't, rather a lot of the world likes Corbyn actually.) But a go about trivia taking precedence over the newsworthy at a time when there's so much that is newsworthy in the political arena.

As a matter of fact, John Bercow himself was pulled up in the exchange by Andrea Leadson who accused him publicly saying worse about women in Parliament; she seems to have interpreted it as a slight against women MPs in general.  And so it goes on. . .

Any comment about Mary Creagh in my post above? The same sort of thing..

14 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

What a farce. 

It’s clear he said ‘woman’ and not ‘people’. Your lips make a different shape when saying those words, and ‘people’ doesn’t really make sense in the context. Only Mrs May was talking.

I've just watched it, several times since it's on the BBC front page nicely clipped to the appropriate moment, and I think he could quite easily be saying either.

If you're expecting "person", it looks like person, and vice-versa. Either way, a non storey.

Edited by Magilla

1 minute ago, Magilla said:

I've just watched it, several times since it's on the BBC front page nicely clipped to the appropriate moment, and I think he could quite easily be saying either.

What is also being conveniently ignored is that he mouthed some thing with three syllables before what is being claimed as ***stupid woman*** so claiming he said "Stupid woman!" in response to what May said is incorrect. So far I havent seen any attempt to 'lip read' what was said immediately before.

Context is everything.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What is also being conveniently ignored is that he mouthed some thing with three syllables before what is being claimed as ***stupid woman*** so claiming he said "Stupid woman!" in response to what May said is incorrect. So far I havent seen any attempt to 'lip read' what was said immediately before.

Context is everything.

Really? 

Care to provide a link to that? The clips I’ve seen show Mrs May speaking, a pause, and then Corbyn sighing slightly and mouthing ‘stupid woman’.  There isn’t a three syllable word before it. 

As it happens, I dont really care that he did call her a stupid woman. He thinks she’s stupid and she’s a woman - I don’t find it particularly misogynistic. 

2 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Care to provide a link to that? The clips I’ve seen show Mrs May speaking, a pause, and then Corbyn sighing slightly and mouthing ‘stupid woman’.  There isn’t a three syllable word before it. 

I didn't say there was a three syllable word I said three syllables, which could be one word, two words or three.

The simple phrase 'stupid woman!' could be deemed misogynistic however 'lord, what a stupid woman', not necessarily so.  

Either way, it is a nonsense story as everyone knows that whether you support him or not, he is neither a misogynist or antisemitic.

16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I didn't say there was a three syllable word I said three syllables, which could be one word, two words or three.

The simple phrase 'stupid woman!' could be deemed misogynistic however 'lord, what a stupid woman', not necessarily so.  

Either way, it is a nonsense story as everyone knows that whether you support him or not, he is neither a misogynist or antisemitic.

Not in the clips I’ve seen he didn’t. He didn’t say anything before ‘stupid woman’ - whether three separate one syllable words, one three syllable word or any combination thereof! 

What clip have you seen that shows otherwise? 

34 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

He thinks she’s stupid and she’s a woman - I don’t find it particularly misogynistic. 

I agree, hes not calling all women stupid, just the one he was preceeded by, if it was a man annoying him he might've mouthed stupid man?

15 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I agree, hes not calling all women stupid, just the one he was preceeded by, if it was a man annoying him he might've mouthed stupid man?

Precisely. If he’d said ‘silly girl’ or something obviously demeaning or belittling then I could understand the ire and why he’d want to lie about saying it. 

In this case he should have just admitted it, apologise (to settle the matter) and move on. 

Edited by Robin-H

27 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

What clip have you seen that shows otherwise? 

I haven't seen any clips, I saw it live on Politics Live on BBC Two this morning.

"Stupid Woman" has pejorative connotations.