The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

Can someone explain to me what Corbyn's private vote of no confidence means and if it has any weight behind it? 

I watched the news last night and this morning and still don't understand the point of it.  

News presenters seem quite bemused by it and interviewed Labour politicians just keep repeating the same old rhetoric that the government is in a mess.

Saint Jez wanted to have a vote of no-confidence in the PM (not the government) before Xmas. unfortunately he is that inept that he left no time for it to be debated and the govt has no legal requirement to do so. 

Tories and DUP have come out and said that they will support May so the tories may put it through for a vote knowing they will win. Especially since the SNP have effectively turned round and said "what are you playing at you useless git, call for a no confidence in the govt instead or haven't you the balls"

Essentially hes said "i dont like you but i know i cant do anything about it so i will make this gesture in the full knowledge that nothing will happen"

^^^^^^^^^ That's precisely what I thought. 

But I thought that such a move would just harm Corbyn and make him look even more weak than he is.

Is he trying to avoid taking power?  Has he realised he's nothing more than a backbencher or that its a poisoned chalice? 

To be honest can Corbyn look any weaker? He's sat doing nothing, propped up by an Trotsky entryist organisaition who appear to be doing a Corbett with him.

Thing is if he grew a pair and said that Labour were strong remain I suspect the Conservative vote would split down the middle in seconds...

Guest makapaka
58 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

^^^^^^^^^ That's precisely what I thought. 

But I thought that such a move would just harm Corbyn and make him look even more weak than he is.

Is he trying to avoid taking power?  Has he realised he's nothing more than a backbencher or that its a poisoned chalice? 

There needs to be a General Election for him to take power.

Amazing that whilst the Conservative government continues with their wanton destruction of the UK people still find time to moan about the opposition leader.

14 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Amazing that whilst the Conservative government continues with their wanton destruction of the UK people still find time to moan about the opposition leader.

Thing is though, there doesn't. He just needs to take a stance that will mobilise the center. Let's be honest here, most MPs are centrist, it isn't complicated. Bar the sad fact of course that the challenge facing him and May and all other parties is extremely complicated and beyond the ability of the HoC to deal with. 

Jeremy Corbyn tabled a motion of no confidence in Theresa May to force a vote on the Brexit deal, and to make her disclose details of the discussions held in Brussels.  He says the clock is ticking, and sitting on the vote indefinately is disasterous.

22 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I’m amazed that you find it amazing that people criticise Corbyn’s steadfast complicity in that wanton destruction of the U.K. over the past couple of years.

Labour should be a comfortable 10-15% ahead of the Tories by now, in any poll you care to name. He’s no more of a leader than a statesman. 

Edited by L00b

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

I’m amazed that you find it amazing that people criticise Corbyn’s steadfast complicity in that wanton destruction of the U.K. over the past couple of years.

Labour should be a comfortable 10-15% ahead of the Tories by now, in any poll you care to name. He’s no more of a leader than a statesman. 

What complicity would that be?

He's fought tooth and nail against most Tory policies, but hasn't had the coverage (except on social media where his stands and speeches in Parliament have been posted.) In fact while the Tories have been faffing about with Brexit, he's been calling for them to remember they have a duty to the country in crisis that also needs serius attention.

49 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I get the impression that if it were Corbyn in government and he was presiding over this mess, those who are moaning about him now, would be on here 24 hours a day, berating him. Because it's May and her Conservatives, they're given much more license.

36 minutes ago, Anna B said:

His voting record, Labour HoC whipping orders, and party deselections since the referendum. The clearest, most obvious, actions-louder-than-words, on-record and publicly-available stuff to begin with.

Then we can look at the UKIP-worthy, jobs-stealing society-impoverishing EU immigrants narrative in his discourses within that same timeframe. Likewise well on-record, but that's just words, not actions like HoC votes are. 

He might well mean better for British society, than Farage and the Tories. The problems are, his votes don’t validate that hypothesis, and clearly he’s useless as the opposition figurehead, what with Labour still trailing the Tories in all polls after 2 years’ worth of an uninterruptedly-open goal across the pitch, what is more with the opposing team running around like headless chickens the whole time.

You can perfectly well like him for his ideas. But no, he’s neither a leader, nor a statesman. Just an average backbencher caught out by the Peter principle.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

We want a STRONG opposition leader.  We don't have one.

A strong opposition leader can make the party in power toe the line, work harder as they feel they're about to be ousted.

Corbyn doesn't do any of that - especially when you have Labour supporters saying they'll never vote for Labour while Corbyn is in charge.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

He's fought tooth and nail against most Tory policies, but hasn't had the coverage (except on social media where his stands and speeches in Parliament have been posted.) In fact while the Tories have been faffing about with Brexit, he's been calling for them to remember they have a duty to the country in crisis that also needs serius attention.

OK, lets just take on board that the nasty media are all against him.

But he has a massive following on social media.

If Corbyn is so good then why isn't Labour miles ahead in the polls?